Brian Kelly would've liked to coach here?

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
From the PiPress:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_16401692?nclick_check=1

One insider says Brian Kelly, 48, the first-year Notre Dame football coach, would have loved to have gotten an offer to coach the Gophers last year, before Minnesota extended Tim Brewster's contract.

I guess that says we're attractive to up-and-coming, or even proven, prospects, which is nice.

I'm not going to dump on Maturi, but the last process was so haphazard. Kelly was a guy who should have been identified as a plausible candidate for the job.

Maturi could improve his back channeling abilities...

Easy to say that now when he is at his dream job and the potential for the Gopher job never existed. The follow up should have been if you have gotten the Gopher Job would you have turned down ND?

Wait wait wait. Kelly wanted an offer from us? He got hired by ND like 5 days after the season ended! This doesn't pass the smell test.

Maybe he mused to someone early in the season that he'd like an offer to coach here should Brew have gone down in flames last year. It's not out of the question that the Gophers were putting feelers out there last year in the event that it happened.

I want to go on record that I would accept the position if they offered it to me.

Easy to say that now when he is at his dream job and the potential for the Gopher job never existed. The follow up should have been if you have gotten the Gopher Job would you have turned down ND?

That would have been fine because he just would have handed the reigns here to Chuck Martin...

I want to go on record that I would accept the position if they offered it to me.

I will join your staff monk10.

I want to go on record that I would accept the position of off the field supervisor for any potential bar misbehaviors.

I believe that Maturi's downfall in the Brewster hire is that he looked at Brewster's perceived strength as a recruiter and how that matched up with Mason's relatively spotty record as a recruiter and threw everything else out the window.

Maturi just left himself wide open.

This makes no sense.

Brian Kelly was fairly well locked into being the Notre Dame coach as soon as Cincinnati's regular season ended. Remember, he didn't coach Cincy in the bowl game. So, there is NO WAY he would have taken the Gopher job LAST YEAR had Brewster been fired.

As for the last time the MN job was open after Mason was fired, Brian Kelly was about three weeks into his new job at Cincinnati at the time, so I doubt he would have bolted then, either.

Something isn't right with that story.

I will join your staff monk10.

I want to go on record that I would accept the position of off the field supervisor for any potential bar misbehaviors.

Dr Don

You will be in charge of wallets..............That's It.

There is absolutely zero merit to this rumor.

First of all, I followed the Notre Dame coaching search fervently, and Kelly was being mentioned as a frontrunner for the job as early as October (among those who assumed Weis would be fired). You don't consider Minnesota if you're in Notre Dame's top 5. You just don't.

Secondly, there were 10 days between Weis' firing and Kelly's hiring. That is too short of a turnaround to assume they hadn't been officially negotiating with Kelly's people a long time before Dec. 1.

Thirdly, if you have Cincinnati rolling and are looking to move up in the world, why on earth would you go to Minnesota? Sure, Minnesota has much better potential than Cincinnati if you can succeed here, but when you are already playing in the worst BCS conference and have 2 straight BCS appearances? You kill any momentum you had going for you with what is, at best, a lateral move to Minnesota.

My guess is what he actually said is, he would have loved an offer from the Gophers when Mason was fired. Had we done that at the end of the regular season like every other rational school, we could have hired him instead of Cincy.

Besides I want no part of a coach who sends a player back in with a concussion. Screw Brian Kelly.

What's that? Bell rung? Can't see out of your eye? GET BACK IN THERE SON THIS IS FOOTBAW

My guess is what he actually said is, he would have loved an offer from the Gophers when Mason was fired. Had we done that at the end of the regular season like every other rational school, we could have hired him instead of Cincy.

Bingo.

station19...Don't worry, I resupply on a weekly basis. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. :)

Dr. Don:

It doesn't have to be a dirty job..........just saying

I like to base my managment style on putting people in a situation where the have the best chance to succeed.

Top Bottom