Brian Dutcher's new contract has a $6.9MM buyout, but only $1MM if he goes to Minnesota; Dutcher on MN: "It's my school"

Understood. Fans often mix in what they want to be true with what is happening. On message boards you will get fans that claim terrible seasons are pretty good, That one coach is better than another no matter the complete dominance by the other. It is the nature of being provincial and a fanatic.
More than just fans on message boards. Seems like most people in most real life situations as well! :)

per the San Diego Union Tribune:

The buyout mirrors the guarantee, starting at $6.925 million and dropping each season by the amount of his salary that year — likely making it the highest among mid-major programs.

“There is an investment on our part,” Wicker said. “To lose a head coach is something we don’t want to do.”

There is one exception, however: The buyout is only $1 million for University of Minnesota.

Dutcher went there. So did his three sisters and his wife. It’s where his father, Jim, coached for 11 seasons between 1975 and 1986 and still lives.

“It’s my school,” Dutcher said, “where I went and was able to be part of that basketball program with my dad. But it’s still a buyout. It’s not like it’s free.”

Richard Pitino, the son of Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino, has been at Minnesota for the past seven years with mixed results, posting with a winning record in Big Ten games only once, making the NCAA Tournament twice and finishing 15-16 overall last season.

“It’s Minnesota,” Wicker said. “It means so much to him and his family. I feel comfortable if that’s something he really wanted to do, then OK. But I fully feel he has a better opportunity of being successful at San Diego State than he does at Minnesota. It would mean that he would want to go back for family-type reasons.”

Go Gophers!!
Interesting development, I really like the looks of this upcoming team though and I’m expecting positive results. If those positive results don’t come though and they do make a change, how can Dutcher not be on the short list?

Understood. Fans often mix in what they want to be true with what is happening. On message boards you will get fans that claim terrible seasons are pretty good, That one coach is better than another no matter the complete dominance by the other. It is the nature of being provincial and a fanatic.
I recall his wife as an ESPN or FSN, very attractive on air personality, and I do not doubt the accuracy of what BB claimed. I do find it odd that a media savvy, east coast type wife would prefer very rural NW Arkansas over Minneapolis, but I guess that is true. As is often the case, l BB probably knows the truth.

NW Arkansas is not rural. It is a fairly wealthy area, due to all the money from Walmart HQ as well as two other Fortune 500 companies HQ'ed there. The metro area has about 500k people.

It has been a while, but the last time I drove through Bentonville on I-49, I recall it being similarity to driving through Maple Grove. Big suburban looking houses, shopping centers, etc.

I recall his wife as an ESPN or FSN, very attractive on air personality, and I do not doubt the accuracy of what BB claimed. I do find it odd that a media savvy, east coast type wife would prefer very rural NW Arkansas over Minneapolis, but I guess that is true. As is often the case, l BB probably knows the truth.
Their representation made it known that they really wanted the south. She has a lifelong attachment to the south.

Not true. His wife had a huge say and they were not coming here.
But his people did reach out before he went to Arkansas asking if Minnesota was gonna be opening up or Pitino would be back. Just a $$$$ ploy or true interest? Guess we will never know for sure.

But his people did reach out before he went to Arkansas asking if Minnesota was gonna be opening up or Pitino would be back. Just a $$$$ ploy or true interest? Guess we will never know for sure.
No idea about that.

Have fun in arkansas! So many other coaches out there. We'll be fine.

Top Bottom