Brian Billick on KFAN

Triple D

Reaction score
He is not interested in getting back into the college game and said that recruiting and that kind of job is better suited to a younger and hungrier coach.

He recommended David Shaw, Stanford OC for Harbaugh.

David Shaw wouldn't be a terrible pick. I can't really imagine that he would be a possibility because of our current situation (no HC experience, etc.), but Shaw is a good coach. I'd imagine he would be next in line at Stanford. It is his alma mater, he knows California and he has done a really nice job there.

David Shaw appears to be a young coach on the rise. His dad is Willie Shaw. Willie was an assistant defensive coach in the NFL for many years. He was a defensive backs / defensive coordinator for the Vikings under Dennis Green and then Mike Tice for a couple of seasons. I am sure that Billick knows Willie. David will get a HC sometime soon if he pursues one. However, I hope he gets his start somewhere other than here. I would prefer an experienced HC.

The Gophers are looking for a grand slam hire...I don't think either David Shaw or Sumlin has the track record for the fans not to say "they should have hired ___________". Maybe wrong here, but either of those are immediately going to be thrown under the bus by some as not being Leach or Bellotti.

When thinking Tubby Smith hire, who in MN thought of any other candidate when he was first hired?

You can't please everyone, but I suspect fan support, along with booster support (read cash here) is something that does weigh very heavily on their minds at this moment.

What does a "Tubby Smith hire," mean?
Tubby's doing OK here, but it's not like he's set the world on fire.
At this point I'd say we're about the 5th or 6th best basketball program in the Big Ten.
Is this what we're shooting for in football?

At this point I'd say we're about the 5th or 6th best basketball program in the Big Ten.

1) Ohio State
2) Michigan
3) Penn State
4) Nebraska
5) Minnesota
Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana

I'll take it.

By Tubby Smith hire, my perspective is

1. National championship ring
2. proven long term winner
3. Well respected in collegiate basketball circles
4. how many fans disapproved of his being hired? VERY FEW IF ANY.
5. wanted to be in a place where he is appreciated...

+1. I think if we could numbers 2-5 on that list we will be in great shape.

Yeah, gotta go 2-5 on that. Joel is going to regret the Tubby Smith quote just like Brew's kill shot.

The Gophers are looking for a grand slam hire...I don't think either David Shaw or Sumlin has the track record for the fans not to say "they should have hired ___________". Maybe wrong here, but either of those are immediately going to be thrown under the bus by some as not being Leach or Bellotti.

When thinking Tubby Smith hire, who in MN thought of any other candidate when he was first hired?

You can't please everyone, but I suspect fan support, along with booster support (read cash here) is something that does weigh very heavily on their minds at this moment.

My fear as well.

Top Bottom