Brewster's Coaching Grade - Wisconsin

Gold Rush

Reaction score
I have tried to be fair to Tim Brewster for his entire duration here and will attempt to
give him a fair grade after I have settled down after a pretty lackluster game.
So far this year:
Syracuse -- B-
Air Force -- B+
California -- B-
Northwestern -- A-

OK, again I will give Brewster (and staff) good grades on motivation. Again this team came out motivated and I have not seen the team come out listless in any game so far this year.
I also will give them credit for a fairly good game plan that enabled them to build a 13-10 halftime lead which should have been greater if stupid penalties on the goal line and in field goal range didn't take other points away. I will give them an A- on the game planning and game prep for this game.

After this though, it starts getting ugly. In the stupid penalties/mistakes last week I gave the staff high grades as the team only committed one penalty the entire game. This game, we were already at 6 for 60 in the first half before Wisconsin even received one. I take issue with Big Play Trey's STUPID personal foul penalty for taunting which enabled Wisconsin to set up a touchdown. This shows a lack of discipline as well as football smarts that has continued to bother this team. Then we have the stupid penalty on 1st and goal (sigh) and the other stupid penalties which are becoming a trademark for this football team. I will not be kind here -- the Gophers get an F and I would give lower if I could.

I also take issue with not having the right number of players on each side for the onside kick. Don't they practice this formation??? Also, we took a time out early in the second half that would have been nice -- clock management C-

However, the biggest problem I could see with the coaching this week was not making the appropriate adjustments at halftime. Wisconsin did. They turned going into the locker room at halftime down by 3 and then turning it into an absolute thrashing in the second half. They kept running the weakside counter again and again and again and no adjustments were made to take it away.
I will grade the adjustments as a D- and I am being kind again.

Still the team had a chance to win at the end but again we could not pull it out. Not a good game - don't let the 31-28 score fool you, this was an absolute beatdown in the second half and we were out to lunch for most of it.

Final grade for this game: 1.50 which is a D+/C- which I think is about right. This puts the season grade at 2.7 or a B- average.

Hopefully we can learn from it and move on. Hopefully if a team is successful running a play we take steps to try to slow it down or take it away and hopefully we get a lot smarter and a lot more disciplined because right now we are a very stupid football team.

Syracuse - C (should not have blown a 13-3 lead but i'll give some credit for not knowing anything about their new system)
Air Force - C+ (can't complain here really but maaaaaaan the penalties, wtf? offense was virtually non-existent outside of 2 drives)
California - C+ (brew had the troops prepared to win, it's not his fault for hayo & webers turnovers, players lack discipline though)
Northwestern - B+ (very solid on offense, defense had slight issues, lack of penalties)
Wisconsin - C (solid first half, putrid second half, haunting penalties return)

(So Far IMO) FINAL GRADE: C

Great to see GHers grading out Brew & Staff...this gives us a more objective view on Brew's growth toward an accomplished D1 field general.

Here's my Brew & Staff grading take thus far:

Syracuse: C+ (I had the pleasure of attending and was impressed by the 2H performance)
Air Force: B (Solid open for TCFB against a scrappy, well-conditioned team)
California: B (Overmatched talent-wise, but good 2H adjustments)
Northwestern: B+ (Most complete game of the year, generally played smart)
Wisconsin: D+ (2H collapse for all the reasons discussed here)

Overall: C+ (A little above average, but the trend is not good...there should be alarm bells ringing for Brew given all the snafus/mistakes vs Becky)

Yeah, I don't want to overreact one way or the other depending on how the game went. I think it's very possible to give the coach an A even if they lose or give the coach a D even if
they win.

I still believe the jury is out on Brewster, but the coaching results for the last game were not
satisfactory. I believe he can do a lot better and I think a big part of it is just playing and coaching a lot smarter than what they did in the Wisconsin game.

Top Bottom