Brewster's ability to develop high-end talent?

Reaction score
A couple of quick questions:

1. How many football-playing Gophers became All-Americans in the 25 seasons (1972-1996) prior to Glen Mason's arrival in Dinkytown?

2. How many became All-Americans during Mason's 10-year reign (1997-2006)?

3. How many have become All-Americans during Brewster's 3-year tenure (2007-present)?

Holy Cow give the guy a chance to bring along his kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't bring in all-americans as Fr. and Sophs. give the guy a chance. A comment like Conf. Champ lets me know he wasn't a champ but a chump!!

1. How many football-playing Gophers became All-Americans in the 25 seasons (1972-1996) prior to Glen Mason's arrival in Dinkytown?

3. How many have become All-Americans during Brewster's 3-year tenure (2007-present)?

We're all way past comparing Mason and Brewster right now.

The posts on here continue to get amazingly more stupid all the time. Are you people for real?

This thread is a joke, right? Do we really still need to compare Mason and Brewster? Really? I mean, what's the point?

With all his lack of All-Americans Brewster sure put together nice back to back Mason style seasons.

Kind of amazing Brewster sucks and Mason doesn't when they've accomplished the same results. And Brewster has a legit excuse. What was Mason's?

Can't we just agree that Mason, especially by the end of his tenure here, was kind of a joke, who couldn't bring in good players, and looked lost? Can't we all agree that getting rid of him was the right idea? And can't we also agree that Maturi took a huge gamble on an unproven coach, who has shown some ability to recruit, but no ability to manage players or staff, coach up players, or call a game? I think the answer is that Mason and Brew are pretty similar. They're both disappointments.

Kind of amazing Brewster sucks and Mason doesn't when they've accomplished the same results. And Brewster has a legit excuse. What was Mason's?

Brewster has no excuse whatsoever. There is no such thing. Either you are good at coaching or you aren't.

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions about player development.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it fits here as well.

I cannot believe how often the thought that Brew can't develop or has not developed talent gets thrown around on this board. Why don't Brew and his staff get any credit for developing players such as Eric Decker, Eric Small, Nate Triplett, Lee Campbell, Garrett Brown, the Tow-Arnett bros., etc? He may not have recruited them, but most of these guys were lightly-recruited guys who became the leaders of this team, and a few of them may be playing on Sundays. I think Nick Tow-Arnett is a great example of this. He was an afterthought backup TE when Brew arrived, and ended up being one of the key players in our offense this year.

Even if you disregard the above mentioned guys, it is not fair to criticize Brew's recruits for not being all-americans at this point. Most are either freshmen, RS freshmen, or sophomores. There are guys (Cooper, Carter, Stoudermire to name a few) that look like they can be very special players over the next few years.

Finally, even if these guys become All-Americans and/or end up in the NFL, will Brew and his staff receive credit for developing them or will it just be a result of recruiting high-quality players? It seems like it is a catch-22 for many on this board.

Can't we all agree that using over the top statements like "no ability to manage players of staff" petty much relinquishes any credibility you might think you have.

I cannot believe how often the thought that Brew can't develop or has not developed talent gets thrown around on this board. Why don't Brew and his staff get any credit for developing players such as Eric Decker, Eric Small, Nate Triplett, Lee Campbell, Garrett Brown, the Tow-Arnett bros., etc? He may not have recruited them, but most of these guys were lightly-recruited guys who became the leaders of this team, and a few of them may be playing on Sundays. I think Nick Tow-Arnett is a great example of this. He was an afterthought backup TE when Brew arrived, and ended up being one of the key players in our offense this year.

I've thought the exact same thing. When Mason's upperclassmen who have been coached by Brewster's staff excel, it is because they are Mason's recruits.

When Brewster's highly regarded freshmen and sophomores contribute in limited amounts in B10 games, it is all on Brewster that they haven't brought Rose Bowls home.

I think many people here will use facts any way they can to rationalize why Brewster needs to go. I am wary of Brew's tenure, but to call for his head after a season in which he performed as was expected (and only with two years of his recruits) is ridiculous. The only reason I think Maturi could/should fire Brewster after this year would be if he thinks Brew has lost control of the team and they are bringing shame on the U of M. Not suggesting that this is the case, but this is the only reason I would deem appropriate at this time.

answer

i mean seriously. the haters can't even do their own research.

Even if you disregard the above mentioned guys, it is not fair to criticize Brew's recruits for not being all-americans at this point. Most are either freshmen, RS freshmen, or sophomores. There are guys (Cooper, Carter, Stoudermire to name a few) that look like they can be very special players over the next few years.

Finally, even if these guys become All-Americans and/or end up in the NFL, will Brew and his staff receive credit for developing them or will it just be a result of recruiting high-quality players? It seems like it is a catch-22 for many on this board.

I can't believe this thread actually got to the point where someone had to explain it. This honestly makes me wonder if there are posters on this board who don't even watch football.

Credibilty???

Can't we all agree that using over the top statements like "no ability to manage players of staff" petty much relinquishes any credibility you might think you have.

Schnoods seriously...what skill has Brewster shown with respect to management that leads to another conclusion?

Offensive Coordinator:

This debacle is classic Brewster, get Dunbar out then settle for your 3rd choice with Fisch.

QB:

Let your new coordinator screw up your QB by changing his mechanics after 2 solid seasons. Not even gonna mention Gray's wasted year of eligiblity...

Play calling:

Never have a set of plays ready in time sensitive game situations, this will result in either time outs being wasted or shrugging of your QB's shoulders as he awaits the decision from the inept offensive brain trust. Over complicated play calling in obvious situations for your new POWER FOOTBALL game plan...cue goal line situation your choice...

Stupid is one word; but I prefer no ability to manage players, staff and I'll throw in game management just for kicks.

And speaking of credibilty; how'd you get yours?

You couldn't walk on to that field and do half as good a job as Brewster has done, not ever a fraction as good a job. So yes he has some skill. You can't defend an over the top statement. He can get better, but I've seen the same crap in other big college games by other big time coaches. It's an area in need of improvement. He's not without skill.

We may never see the level of talent Mason had at his disposal in 99 and 03. And not one Big Ten title nor a Jan 1 bowl game to show for it.

I'm sorry but I am going to be putting at least 50% of our offenses problems squarely on Weber's shoulders......
The sacks down on the goal line ARE HIS FAULT!!!!!! 100 bucks says Brew and Fisch tell him repeatedly to NOT TAKE A SACK and GET RID OF THE BALL. But yet he holds it and holds it and holds it and holds it. I can handle one 360 degree spin trying to evade a sack but not 2. Get rid of the ball.
Weber has had ample time to get rid of the ball. I've DVR'd alot of these games and he's not even looking at wide open guys 5 yards from his face for dump offs.

As far as the timeouts go....THIS IS ON WEBER AS WELL!!!! He is a 3 year starter and he has NO COMMAND of the huddle. The TV camera catches him everytime. He breaks huddle comes up to the line and then FINALLY looks up at the play clock at 6 seconds left and then has to call a time out. Sure, Fisch gets a couple plays in late but its WEBERS JOB TO GET THE TEAM UP TO THE LINE. NO EXCUSES. He's a captain and never shows it.

I'm tired of this being put on Brewster's shoulders. Brew didn't kick two kickoffs out of bounds vs. Illinois. Brew didn't have a 15 yard punt against them either. Brew didn't throw a lob into the arms of an Illinois or SDSU player for a touchdown.

Don't you guys know that guys like Tyrone Carter, Maroney, and Ben Hamilton became stud players only because of Mason? And don't you guys know that Decker, Small, Brown, and Campbell got better completely on their own with no help from Brewster and his staff?

</sarcasm>

Top Bottom