Brew and recruiting

Gophers15

Banned
Reaction score
Alright,

A lot of people including myself have critized Brew for his lack of recruiting this year, based on the look of this class so far. However after looking at his first two classes and this one I do not think this one is as bad as it may look star wise. Yeah we don't have as many 4 star recruits as before but I think this class fills our needs for depth on the OL and CB positions along with some others. When Brew took over the team we did not have a lot of talent or depth. That has all changed in my mind. We have a lot of talent now, it is young but I think its more than we have ever had.

we may have came up short on a few guys like Nelson, Huff and Grant for examples but without Brew these type of players would never even gives us a look. I am very pleased with what he is doing. He has gotten us on the right track in regards to scheduling and recruiting. We may not land SH but Brew and co did a hell of a job in trying. Whatever happens in the next few days I think this is an underrated class.

The wins will come with time.

Go Gophers

Upon being hired, the first thing Brewster did was go directly to meet Seanntrel and begin his recruitment of him. It's been a long three years and he's put a ton of work into it. If SH decides to go outstate, it won't be because of a lack of effort on Brewster's part.

we may have came up short on a few guys like Nelson, Huff and Grant for examples but without Brew these type of players would never even gives us a look
Bull. Huff committed to Utah and TCU. Nelson committed to Texas A&M. We're not North Dakota State. It's a Big Ten school with a brand new stadium and a great opportunity for playing time. Just because Mason didn't recruit well at Minnesota doesn't mean you can't recruit at Minnesota, it just means Mason sucked at recruiting, and he had to work with a junky off-campus stadium.

Bull. Huff committed to Utah and TCU. Nelson committed to Texas A&M. We're not North Dakota State. It's a Big Ten school with a brand new stadium and a great opportunity for playing time. Just because Mason didn't recruit well at Minnesota doesn't mean you can't recruit at Minnesota, it just means Mason sucked at recruiting, and he had to work with a junky off-campus stadium.

I agree completely. I can't believe how much credit people on here give Brewster for getting kids to consider coming here, especially LOCAL kids. Every local kid should consider the U, if they don't then Brewster is truly worthless as a recruiter. I'll give credit when Brewster signs these kids, not for getting them to consider us. And I'm tired of people bringing up Mason every time they applaud Brewster's recruiting. Just because he sucked at recruiting doesn't mean you can't recruit here, especially now with the new stadium.

If I here one more Gopherholer say..."these kids wouldn't have even looked at us before Brewster came along," I'm going to vomit. Signing these players is ALL that matters.

I agree completely. I can't believe how much credit people on here give Brewster for getting kids to consider coming here, especially LOCAL kids. Every local kid should consider the U, if they don't then Brewster is truly worthless as a recruiter. I'll give credit when Brewster signs these kids, not for getting them to consider us. And I'm tired of people bringing up Mason every time they applaud Brewster's recruiting. Just because he sucked at recruiting doesn't mean you can't recruit here, especially now with the new stadium.

If I here one more Gopherholer say..."these kids wouldn't have even looked at us before Brewster came along," I'm going to vomit. Signing these players is ALL that matters.

Actually I getting 5-stars from Texas, Florida, etc. to look at Minnesota for their college football needs is not easy at all. When you can go to ANY school in the nation pretty much, and Minnesota lands in your top 3, that's saying something about the guys recruiting the player. Now obviously the important thing is signing these type of guys, but to act like he's done nothing is a joke. Seantrel is the type of player who, yes, he should always be considering Minnesota because it's the local school, but considering that wasn't the case just a few years back, it takes some time to undo what's been done in the past. With having SOME recruiting success here, Brewster is going to make it easier (if he can't get it done) for the next coach to come in and maintain a higher level of recruiting than we have had the last bunch of years.

I think it's almost harder to get local kids to go to Minnesota than kids from out of state. The local kids grow up hearing about the mediocrity and failures of the football program, how we have sucked for 40 years. It's tougher to sell a Minnesota kid on the hope that you can turn it around than a Florida kid who doesn't know anything about us.

I think it's almost harder to get local kids to go to Minnesota than kids from out of state. The local kids grow up hearing about the mediocrity and failures of the football program, how we have sucked for 40 years. It's tougher to sell a Minnesota kid on the hope that you can turn it around than a Florida kid who doesn't know anything about us.

This is the absolute truth. The local media does the U no favors when it comes to recruiting.

Trying?

Anyone can try.

20080909-1t5rmmbin2xmpf4cuiij5fwu2e.jpg

If I here one more Gopherholer say..."these kids wouldn't have even looked at us before Brewster came along," I'm going to vomit.

Better get a bucket because it is true.

Getting the players is the ultimate goal, but Brewster has made that goal possible. Not so much before.

Are you going to have any sort of recruiting wrap up before signing day? Database is looking a little thin.

Are you going to have any sort of recruiting wrap up before signing day? Database is looking a little thin.
Judging by your previous comments, I'll assume that was just a smug cheapshot. However, I'm not doing the database anymore, couldn't make time to do it properly.

Brew is getting into homes that the U of M never got into in the past 25 years and getting some of the kids that would never have looked here. It's a start, but it's still a long way from the finish.

Next year will tell a lot about his recruiting because his kids will have had 3 years in school and should be ready to step up. Even if all it results in is 7-5, that's still a huge step given how brutal the schedule is. I want to see better talent and coaching progression. If he can do that and continue to bring in better athletes than the U of M has been able to do in recent history, I'll be all in favor of giving him another year.

" Every local kid should consider the U,"

When was the last time that was relevant? Not under Mason, nor Wacker. Maybe Gutey's first year and the two years under the Music Man. Wipe out Salem's last years also.

Heck, prior to the 1990's who the heck even RECRUITED Minnesota besides Iowa and Wisconsin!

The local kids grow up hearing about the mediocrity and failures of the football program, how we have sucked for 40 years.

The local kids grow up watching the mediocrity and failures of the football program

The local kids grow up watching the mediocrity and failures of the football program

Agreed. I'm not blaming it all on the media. The program itself has been the biggest problem.

Just saying that the local kids have grown up with it for 17 years. To out-of-staters who never thought of Minnesota before, they look at 6-7 wins per season and Insight/Music City Bowls and can be sold that we're just a few good recruiting classes away. Minnesota kids are a tougher sell.

Agreed. I'm not blaming it all on the media. The program itself has been the biggest problem.

Just saying that the local kids have grown up with it for 17 years. To out-of-staters who never thought of Minnesota before, they look at 6-7 wins per season and Insight/Music City Bowls and can be sold that we're just a few good recruiting classes away. Minnesota kids are a tougher sell.

Bingo!

Top recruits view Minnesota along with the rest: Duke, Colorado, ISU, NCS, Washington, Baylor, South Carolina, KSU, etc.

Brewster goes into the recruiting wars and battles with a sling shot compared to the all the "weapons" the top programs have No on campus stadium has been a huge issue in the past.

This is a long process. I stated when Brew was hired he had a huge job ahead to get the Gophers to the top 3 teams in the BT.

Ruesse will surely blast Brewster if SH isn't a Gopher. But its not that big of a deal as it has been made out. We need quality players across the board and SH is just one of many needed.

Just make sure you do it on yourself and not me. How tough is it for you people to understand what a mess U football had with high school coaches around the state. At the very least it was out of sight out of mind. At the worst it was a lot more destructive than that. The first thing Brewster did was try to mend fences with HS coaches. Remember? He wouldn't have had to do that if the fences weren't all lying on the ground in the first place.

Actually I getting 5-stars from Texas, Florida, etc. to look at Minnesota for their college football needs is not easy at all. When you can go to ANY school in the nation pretty much, and Minnesota lands in your top 3, that's saying something about the guys recruiting the player. Now obviously the important thing is signing these type of guys, but to act like he's done nothing is a joke. Seantrel is the type of player who, yes, he should always be considering Minnesota because it's the local school, but considering that wasn't the case just a few years back, it takes some time to undo what's been done in the past. With having SOME recruiting success here, Brewster is going to make it easier (if he can't get it done) for the next coach to come in and maintain a higher level of recruiting than we have had the last bunch of years.

I agree! It's a numbers and connections game. Sooner or later some of those battles will be won. Coaches will also start suggesting that players give Brewster an honest listen/ look.

Top Bottom