Brent McMurphy: NCAA officially approves giving additional year of eligibility to all winter sport athletes

With an extra year for everyone and free transfers, I think taking guys like Pohto who is a fringe 150-200 guy is a massive mistake. Why take a project who probably doesn't have a ton of upside when there are going to be a massive amount of transfers to pick from. For the programs that don't adjust, you will fall behind QUICKLY.

With an extra year for everyone and free transfers, I think taking guys like Pohto who is a fringe 150-200 guy is a massive mistake. Why take a project who probably doesn't have a ton of upside when there are going to be a massive amount of transfers to pick from. For the programs that don't adjust, you will fall behind QUICKLY.
Yes, but when is the last time we didn't also lose 1-2 transfers? When is the last time we turned down someone we really wanted for lack of an open scholarship? I wouldn't take 2 more in his range, but I'm not worried about lack of scholarships at all at this point.

Might be wrong, but if it follows the rule for Fall sports athletes, then technically what it allows is for athletes/schools to apply for the extra year, and then they'll be granted it. Point just being, it has to be a conscious decision for the athlete and school to go out and ask for it.

I'm genuinely wondering if there has ever been an NCAA student-athlete that was on the roster for more than six calendar years?

The rules are saying that, for example, Bryce Witham on the football team could indeed apply to play for the Gophers for fall semester 2021 (and spring 2022, if they make a later bowl game), with his first time on the team being fall 2015. That Eric Curry could play for the next three seasons (2020-21 wouldn't count, 2021-22, and 2022-23).

But I'm wondering if most will choose to forgo that, to either voluntarily move on with life, or be asked to "move on" by the coaches to keep the rosters turning over. And if the latter happens, I wonder if that will lead to a glut of kids who just "don't want to be done yet" who then try to transfer to play that last year elsewhere, even moving down divisions if need be?

All those Wisconsin seniors could be back for a second senior year. Another season of 🥜 punches from Brad Davison?

Top Bottom