Bowl thread

Some guy

Reaction score
How in the world did someone think it was smart to play at Fenway on Dec 23

But Fenway? Couldn’t play it in Gillette?

Can you imagine how empty SMU vs Va would be in a 65,000 Gillette Stadium? That sounds like an awful idea. Having it in Fenway gives it some uniqueness.

Same reason the Gophers bowl game is played in a baseball stadium and the Fiesta Bowl is played in Cardinals Stadium.

Smart move to put it in Fenway.

Go Gophers!!

Can you imagine how empty SMU vs Va would be in a 65,000 Gillette Stadium? That sounds like an awful idea. Having it in Fenway gives it some uniqueness.

Same reason the Gophers bowl game is played in a baseball stadium and the Fiesta Bowl is played in Cardinals Stadium.

Smart move to put it in Fenway.

Go Gophers!!
Well I would argue not smart playing an outdoor game north of the Mason-Dixon Line as a reward for anything…but that’s me.

Yale and Harvard played there and it was pretty cool, actually

Well I would argue not smart playing an outdoor game north of the Mason-Dixon Line as a reward for anything…but that’s me.

This time of year agreed, but if you are going to do it in Boston, might as well do it at Fenway. Either way, that game will likely not get many fans given how cold it will be. I can't see SMU fans making the trek at all.

Go Gophers!!

More fans (though not sure if it would be a lot) and maybe even some non-team affiliated fans would go to a football game at Fenway for the novelty, and spend some time seeing the sights in Boston (I don’t think it gets too cold to see the Freedom Trail though I was born in MN!). Almost nobody would travel to see the game in the burbs at Gillette.

It was an open date.
They had a bit of a gap between baseball games and decided they could squeeze a bowl game in there. I still think they should have a bowl game at the Vikings stadium. Just so long as the Gophers don't have to play in it.

They had a bit of a gap between baseball games and decided they could squeeze a bowl game in there. I still think they should have a bowl game at the Vikings stadium. Just so long as the Gophers don't have to play in it.

When the playoffs get expanded to 12 teams, the Gophs will get to host a first round at USB (I can dream at least). As much as I hate the thought of Gopher football off campus, a December playoff game at USB with the afternoon sun beaming through the roof would be nice.

When the playoffs get expanded to 12 teams, the Gophs will get to host a first round at USB (I can dream at least). As much as I hate the thought of Gopher football off campus, a December playoff game at USB with the afternoon sun beaming through the roof would be nice.
If that was ever the case the game is 100% at TCF

Is Yankee Stadium any better than Fenway? Both of those games are ridiculous. What an "award"

Good lord just imagine the blowouts we’d get to see with 12 teams. 🤦

Good lord just imagine the blowouts we’d get to see with 12 teams. 🤦
Not really any different than with 4 and 4 exhibitions

I don’t want an expansion unless there are auto bids. The bad thing about the regular season isn’t playoff blowouts. It is devaluation of regular season importance. The more at larges there are the more there is devaluation of regular season

Is Yankee Stadium any better than Fenway? Both of those games are ridiculous. What an "award"
Everyone knows it that the Pinstripe Bowl even has it in the stipulations with the B1G that their goal is for a different team every year of the contract.

Penn State, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin Michigan State, 2020 Canceled, and Maryland, Contract is up, so we may not ever have to go.

More fans (though not sure if it would be a lot) and maybe even some non-team affiliated fans would go to a football game at Fenway for the novelty, and spend some time seeing the sights in Boston (I don’t think it gets too cold to see the Freedom Trail though I was born in MN!). Almost nobody would travel to see the game in the burbs at Gillette.
The Pats played at Fenway from 1963-1968. The Bears played at Wrigley until 1970, and the Giants played at (old) Yankee Stadium from 1956-1973.

Top Bottom