CFN
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl
Kentucky vs. Minnesota

Sporting News
Outback Bowl
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Auburn vs. Minnesota

Pretty hard not to like those options. Still have work to do of course, but I would be more than happy with any of these. :D

Realistically, I’d bet on Outback Bowl. I thought there was an agreement with the B1G that the Citrus doesn’t want duplicate teams in a 6 year period if it can be avoided.

But if we win the west with wins over Penn State and Wisconsin, I’m all aboard that rose bowl bid.

Last edited:

Realistically, I’d bet on Outback Bowl. I thought there was an agreement with the B1G that the Citrus doesn’t want duplicate teams in a 6 year period if it can be avoided.

But if we win the west with wins over Penn State and Wisconsin, I’m all aboard that rose bowl bid.

No "if" about it!:cool:

Well,I like it but we have 6 six regular season games left. We need to get to at least 8 and O first!:cool:

Waiting for the first bold bet to come in on Minnesota from the national media...a NY6 bowl.

The rule is at least 5 different Big Ten teams in the six-year period beginning with the 2014-2015 bowl that we played in and ending with this season's game. The ACC has taken our spot twice so that's not going to happen no matter what this year. I guess it depends on if they decide that means no more than 1 repeat team or as close to at least 5 different teams as possible. I think the Citrus Bowl is right behind the CFP, Rose Bowl, and Orange Bowl so it might just come down to what they decide. I'm guessing they'd want us back rather than a worse team unless it's very close and the other option is a big name like OSU.

My ideal bowl opponent is always a team that has the combination of being a name brand but is having a down year. That way you get the benefit of saying you played a helmet school or SEC team but at the same time, you actually have a good chance to win it. Someone like a USC.

It'd be pretty cool to play a team like Georgia but I don't think we'd have a good chance to beat them. I suppose maybe if they have several NFL guys sit out the bowl and their motivation levels completely tank then maybe we'd have a slight chance.

That being said, if we go 9-3, I wouldn't care by how much we'd lose in the bowl game, it would still be a wildly successful season.

My ideal bowl opponent is always a team that has the combination of being a name brand but is having a down year. That way you get the benefit of saying you played a helmet school or SEC team but at the same time, you actually have a good chance to win it. Someone like a USC.

It'd be pretty cool to play a team like Georgia but I don't think we'd have a good chance to beat them. I suppose maybe if they have several NFL guys sit out the bowl and their motivation levels completely tank then maybe we'd have a slight chance.

That being said, if we go 9-3, I wouldn't care by how much we'd lose in the bowl game, it would still be a wildly successful season.

I think, and hope, that you're underestimating this team.

I think, and hope, that you're underestimating this team.

So you think we’d have more than just a very slight chance at upsetting Georgia, a team many thought could win it all (and they still have a chance to do so) a week ago?

If the gophers play a perfect game then maybe it could be like the 2014 OSU or 2015 TCU game where we keep it to a TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you think we’d have more than just a very slight chance at upsetting Georgia, a team many thought could win it all (and they still have a chance to do so) a week ago?

If the gophers play a perfect game then maybe it could be like the 2014 OSU or 2015 TCU game where we keep it to a TD.

Yes, I do believe the Gophers could beat a Georgia team that just lost at home to a 3-3 South Carolina team, especially if the Gophers keep improving (and I think they will). I guess I don't give much credence to the number next to a team's name when only 6 games have been played. Above all, I want to see the Gophers achieve the best outcome possible, and for me that would be the CFP.

There are several GH'ers who would relish a UGA-MN match-up.

For both myself and Mrs. Billd as UGA grads, as Gophers now it's on our bucket list.

I'd love to assemble my Bulldawg buddies for such a game anywhere. It would be a heck of a party with a game to watch to boot...

Of course we'd be sporting Maroon and Gold but would probably sneak a UGA the Bulldog tatoo on the cheek to honor our roots.

Just dreaming of course...First things first...Beat Rutgers!

The rule is at least 5 different Big Ten teams in the six-year period beginning with the 2014-2015 bowl that we played in and ending with this season's game. The ACC has taken our spot twice so that's not going to happen no matter what this year. I guess it depends on if they decide that means no more than 1 repeat team or as close to at least 5 different teams as possible. I think the Citrus Bowl is right behind the CFP, Rose Bowl, and Orange Bowl so it might just come down to what they decide. I'm guessing they'd want us back rather than a worse team unless it's very close and the other option is a big name like OSU.

I believe there’s also a rule that if the Orange Bowl takes a Big Ten team, then the Citrus Bowl can’t, and maybe needing to take 3 Big Ten teams and 3 ACC teams in the 6 games from 1/1/15 to 1/1/20.

On a different note, maybe it’s just the scared, pessimistic Minnesotan in me, but these projected matchups against Georgia, Auburn, and Florida have me concerned about the potential to get completely thrashed by a team that likely has superior talent and depth just about everywhere on the field. Maybe I’m just selling the Gophers short though, and we’re not just a team getting undue props for taking care of business against a less than stellar schedule. We did keep pace with Ohio State pretty well last year after all.

I’d love to play Georgia and have Bateman stick it to his home state with 10 catches 180 yds and 3 touchdowns.

well kind of disappointed you didn't pencil us in to beat OSU and head to the CFP in that case

I believe there’s also a rule that if the Orange Bowl takes a Big Ten team, then the Citrus Bowl can’t, and maybe needing to take 3 Big Ten teams and 3 ACC teams in the 6 games from 1/1/15 to 1/1/20.

On a different note, maybe it’s just the scared, pessimistic Minnesotan in me, but these projected matchups against Georgia, Auburn, and Florida have me concerned about the potential to get completely thrashed by a team that likely has superior talent and depth just about everywhere on the field. Maybe I’m just selling the Gophers short though, and we’re not just a team getting undue props for taking care of business against a less than stellar schedule. We did keep pace with Ohio State pretty well last year after all.

I’m a fan of both the Gophers and Georgia. The last couple of years, I would not have wanted to play UGA. Not the case this year. They have superior talent from a depth standpoint, but we have enough talent in the starting 22 to compete with this Georgia team. Yes, we would probably be underdogs, but I think we would represent ourselves just fine against them.

I hope we get a chance to see how we match up.

I agree with this 100%. I want a bowl game we can win. A lot of those match-ups scare me, because I just don't think we have a shot versus the vast amount of Upper/Top 10 SEC schools. I'd hate to have the beginning of the year start out with a beat down and it brings down the mood for the next year.

Like the Missouri game a few years back, I knew we had no chance of winning despite the hype. Same goes for this year in not wanting to get hyped for a game you're supposed to get slaughtered in.

We have also had the opposite problem where we were expected to win (Syracuse 2013) and we played worse and lost. We also had when we played Texas Tech the year prior and almost won, even when nobody said we had a chance.

I'm just happy to be in a bowl game right now. Take care of business first and see what happens. No January 1st game will take us if we don't win enough games.

Last edited:

So basically that one time we played Alabama ;)

We're still undefeated vs Bama!

I agree with this 100%. I want a bowl game we can win. A lot of those match-ups scare me, because I just don't think we have a shot versus the vast amount of Upper/Top 10 SEC schools. I'd hate to have the beginning of the year start out with a beat down and it brings down the mood for the next year.

Like the Missouri game a few years back, I knew we had no chance of winning despite the hype. Same goes for this year in not wanting to get hyped for a game you're supposed to get slaughtered in.

We have also had the opposite problem where we were expected to win (Syracuse 2013) and we played worse and lost. We also had when we played Texas Tech the year prior and almost won, even when nobody said we had a chance.

I'm just happy to be in a bowl game right now. Take care of business first and see what happens. No January 1st game will take us if we don't win enough games.

Wasn't that the game where we jumped to a huge early lead, only to give it all back and lose? My memory sucks, but I feel like I remember that game...

Wasn't that the game where we jumped to a huge early lead, only to give it all back and lose? My memory sucks, but I feel like I remember that game...

We played a great first half and then Mitch decided to be Mitch again.

Top Bottom