Bowl participation report: 6 of 11 def starters done (4 def. back-ups done); 5 of 11 off. starters done (1 off. backup done); all special teams return

swingman

Reaction score
0Walley,Justin RETURNSDB
16Durr,Coney DONEDB
21Harris,Justus DONE?DB
23Howden,Jordan RETURNSDB
27Nubin,Tyler RETURNSDB
5Pinckney,Nyles DONEDL
9Otomewo,Esezi DONE (likely)DL
34Mafe,Boye DONEDL
99Carter,Trill RETURNSDL
47Gibbens,Jack DONELB
55Sori-Marin,Mariano RETURNSLB
60Schmitz,John Michael RETURNSOL
64Olson,Conner DONEOL
70Schlueter,Sam DONEOL
77Andries,Blaise DONEOL
78Faalele,Daniel DONEOL
2Morgan,Tanner RETURNSQB
8Thomas,Ky RETURNSRB
42Kieft,Ko DONETE
7Autman-Bell,Chris RETURNSWR
9Jackson,Daniel RETURNSWR
22Brown-Stephens,Michael RETURNSWR

Participants:

1Swenson,Calvin DONE
2Howard,Phillip DONE
8Rush,Thomas
11Dixon,Michael
12Glaze,Jalen
14Oliver,Braelen
15Burns,Jaqwondis
18Dew-Treadway,Micah DONE
20Willis,Donald
33Williams,Devon
35LeCaptain,Derik
36McDonald,Bishop DONE?
46Finnessy,Lucas
90Joyner,Jah
92Striggow,Danny
96Richter,Logan

4Irving,Mar'Keise
16Wright,Dylan
20Wright,Larry
55Shaw,Karter
65Ruschmeyer,Axel
66Boe,Nathan
81Annexstad,Brock DONE?
86Geers,Jameson
87Kallerup,Nick
88Spann-Ford,Brevyn

37Weeks,Brady
95Trickett,Matthew
96Crawford,Mark
99Kesich,Dragan

0Walley,Justin RETURNSDB
16Durr,Coney DONEDB
21Harris,Justus DONE?DB
27Nubin,Tyler RETURNSDB
5Pinckney,Nyles DONEDL
34Mafe,Boye DONEDL
99Carter,Trill RETURNSDL
47Gibbens,Jack DONELB
64Olson,Conner DONEOL
70Schlueter,Sam DONEOL
77Andries,Blaise DONEOL
78Faalele,Daniel DONEOL
2Morgan,Tanner RETURNSQB
8Thomas,Ky RETURNSRB
42Kieft,Ko DONETE

Participants:

1Swenson,Calvin DONE
2Howard,Phillip DONE
8Rush,Thomas
11Dixon,Michael
12Glaze,Jalen
14Oliver,Braelen
15Burns,Jaqwondis
20Willis,Donald
33Williams,Devon
35LeCaptain,Derik
36McDonald,Bishop DONE?
46Finnessy,Lucas
90Joyner,Jah
92Striggow,Danny
96Richter,Logan

4Irving,Mar'Keise
16Wright,Dylan
20Wright,Larry
55Shaw,Karter
65Ruschmeyer,Axel
66Boe,Nathan
81Annexstad,Brock DONE?
86Geers,Jameson
87Kallerup,Nick
88Spann-Ford,Brevyn

37Weeks,Brady
95Trickett,Matthew
96Crawford,Mark
99Kesich,Dragan

Thanks! I knew everyone except #20 Larry Wright. I learned he's a RsSoph walk-on WR from Apple Valley. No game action in 2019 or 2020. Must've been on a ST last night? Also a two-time academic All-B1G selection! Hats off to thee, Larry!

Thanks! I knew everyone except #20 Larry Wright. I learned he's a RsSoph walk-on WR from Apple Valley. No game action in 2019 or 2020. Must've been on a ST last night? Also a two-time academic All-B1G selection! Hats off to thee, Larry!
Hung out with members of Larry’s family, including his parents, for pre-game. Great people!

Justus Harris would have been a true senior in 2020, and got to be a covid super-senior in 2021. Five straight seasons of playing, and no redshirts or season-ending injuries.

I don't see how he can possibly play another year.

Justus Harris would have been a true senior in 2020, and got to be a covid super-senior in 2021. Five straight seasons of playing, and no redshirts or season-ending injuries.

I don't see how he can possibly play another year.
Maybe he can redshirt next year and play the last 4 games of the year which would be the last regular season game, the BIG champ game, and 2 National Title games. Just dreaming a little.

0Walley,Justin RETURNSDB
16Durr,Coney DONEDB
21Harris,Justus DONE?DB
27Nubin,Tyler RETURNSDB
5Pinckney,Nyles DONEDL
34Mafe,Boye DONEDL
99Carter,Trill RETURNSDL
47Gibbens,Jack DONELB
64Olson,Conner DONEOL
70Schlueter,Sam DONEOL
77Andries,Blaise DONEOL
78Faalele,Daniel DONEOL
2Morgan,Tanner RETURNSQB
8Thomas,Ky RETURNSRB
42Kieft,Ko DONETE

Participants:

1Swenson,Calvin DONE
2Howard,Phillip DONE
8Rush,Thomas
11Dixon,Michael
12Glaze,Jalen
14Oliver,Braelen
15Burns,Jaqwondis
20Willis,Donald
33Williams,Devon
35LeCaptain,Derik
36McDonald,Bishop DONE?
46Finnessy,Lucas
90Joyner,Jah
92Striggow,Danny
96Richter,Logan

4Irving,Mar'Keise
16Wright,Dylan
20Wright,Larry
55Shaw,Karter
65Ruschmeyer,Axel
66Boe,Nathan
81Annexstad,Brock DONE?
86Geers,Jameson
87Kallerup,Nick
88Spann-Ford,Brevyn

37Weeks,Brady
95Trickett,Matthew
96Crawford,Mark
99Kesich,Dragan

Wow—I didn’t realize that we lost 50% of the starters. What’s most concerning is losing 9 out of the 10 off/def. lineman—that is definitely a very big concern. Hope PJ has a fix for that

Wow—I didn’t realize that we lost 50% of the starters. What’s most concerning is losing 9 out of the 10 off/def. lineman—that is definitely a very big concern. Hope PJ has a fix for that
Gophers are incredibly lucky it's not considerably more than 50% really. Very fortunate some guys are staying that could easily be leaving.

We'll know a lot more after spring ball but I'm optimistic they're heading for another good year next year

Have some of the guys like MSM and Howden made it official that they are coming back? Would make sense for them to come back but don't recall seeing it officially one way or the other which is why I have them in the TBD column in the onther post about 2022

This was foretold by looking at the depth chart the PJ's recruiting would be put to the test next year.

Every year in college football you have to replace irreplaceable players. If you have a good program a new door opens for each one that closes. Gophers are heading in the right directions and I am optimistic about the future. There are great players we dont even know about yet just waiting for their time.

Thanks, Swingman. This coming year may be a zig year unless PJ Fleck can reload with experienced transfer players and the next men up are up to the challenge successfully.

After Tracy Claeys when 9-4, some folks expected PJ Fleck to have the same wins or better.

People were upset when the Gophers finished the 2017 season 5-7. People forgot that several key players have graduated.

They went 7-6 in 2018 and won three of the last four games after Rossi took over as DC from Robb Smith.

Of course, the 11-2 2019 season was magical.

The team needs time to gel together. How fast depend on the talent developed internally or acquired from the portal.

As the recruiting talent level improves and the transfers to the program become more desirable, we expect the team success level to improve.

Last edited:

It’s not really that bad. The defense returns a lot of talent, I am still expecting a solid defense. This years was so good that it will be tough to repeat, but I don’t think a massive drop off is likely. On offense it is all about the oline. We lose a lot of starters, but no reason to think the backups aren’t any good, they are at least well seasoned and should be ready for more play time. It’s not like we need to plug in freshmen there.

It will be interesting to see how agressive PJ will be with OL & DL transfers. It will tell a lot how confident he is with those coming back. Getting two DB’s probably was a sign we need help there.

Top Bottom