BOOZE AT THE BANK: PART 2 UPDATE: IT'S NOT OVER.

JOHN4254

Reaction score
Booze at the Bank, an issue that just won't go away or die a peaceful death, is still very alive and no longer on life support. They say that old people tend to repeat themselves too much, and I have to admit that I am guilty of both sins. The Booze at the Bank proposal, as reincarnated and approved by the House-Senate Conference Committee, is now on its way for almost certain passage in the Minnesota House and Senate in a version that may be acceptable to the University of Minnesota Board of Regents:

http://www.startribune.com/politics...rksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

Years ago in my wasted youth, I had occasion to work for the Minnesota Senate in a staff research position. From that experience, I learned two fundamental truths about the legislative process; first, it ain't ever over until it is over and the legislators have gone home; second, no legislative proposal is ever, ever dead until the first fundamental truth has taken place. Proposals can metamorphasize into a slightly different form that can be acceptable to the often inconsistent members of the legislative body. I can't explain it or even understand it myself, but the Booze at the Bank legislation is a perfect example.

I may still get to see Representative Tom Rukavina and Governor Tim Pawlenty dance to the "Beer Barrel Polka" on the TCF Bank Plaza at the USC game if this passes. Jim Erickson, warm up your baton, the U of M marching band is waiting for more direction. :confused:

Booze at the Bank, an issue that just won't go away or die a peaceful death, is still very alive and no longer on life support. They say that old people tend to repeat themselves too much, and I have to admit that I am guilty of both sins. The Booze at the Bank proposal, as reincarnated and approved by the House-Senate Conference Committee, is now on its way for almost certain passage in the Minnesota House and Senate in a version that may be acceptable to the University of Minnesota Board of Regents:

http://www.startribune.com/politics...rksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

Years ago in my wasted youth, I had occasion to work for the Minnesota Senate in a staff research position. From that experience, I learned two fundamental truths about the legislative process; first, it ain't ever over until it is over and the legislators have gone home; second, no legislative proposal is ever, ever dead until the first fundamental truth has taken place. Proposals can metamorphasize into a slightly different form that can be acceptable to the often inconsistent members of the legislative body. I can't explain it or even understand it myself, but the Booze at the Bank legislation is a perfect example.

I may still get to see Representative Tom Rukavina and Governor Tim Pawlenty dance to the "Beer Barrel Polka" on the TCF Bank Plaza at the USC game if this passes. Jim Erickson, warm up your baton, the U of M marching band is waiting for more direction. :confused:
The regents will {NEVER} allow this...forget about it.

This will be DOA at the U. The regents won't support it. Once again the legislature is interfering with things they shouldn't be interfering with, and doing their usual fine job of screwing up something simple. Rukavina and Pawlenty don't warrant an invitation to TCF, and it appears from their lack of intelligent insight they haven't been there before.

I love how some genius legislators came up with the 1/3 rule. How the heck is the U supposed to serve to a third of the stadium? Maybe they can have one of those animated tire races on the big screen, and then if your section wins, you are eligible to stand in line for a beer.

The U can ALREADY sell beer in the general seating areas if they want to. They don't want to. The most frustrating thing about the Legislature's actions and debate on this the past two years is that the people involved are completely ignorant about the factors surrounding this issue.

I DON'T CARE, I GO FOR THE FB & DRINK WATER.

The regents will {NEVER} allow this...forget about it.

I don't really care what the Legislature or the Regents do regarding this issue. This Legislature, and this State have far more important issues facing us move than the question of whether or not Gopher fans can drink alcohol at the TCF Bank Stadium. Balancing the budget with a $2.7 billion deficit, providing medical care to the poor, the working poor, and the middle class who cannot afford new medical care, providing adequate funding to educate our children and young adults, job creation so that people do not continue to lose their homes through foreclosure, providing adequate funding and care for our mentally ill so that they are not living under bridges, helping the homeless and the hungry. The moon the issues, booze at the Bank is not one of them in my humble opinion. I am merely reporting on what a great number of members of this forum seemed to be interested in.

Personally, I go to the Stadium to watch the Gophers play football against the opponent off the day. I drink water, I do not need the alcohol to enhance my enjoyment of watching Big 10 football on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. By the way, you are probably correct, I don't think the Regents will accept this latest (possible) exercise of legislative acumen.

GO GOPHERS!

YES, OTHERWISE, I WOULDN'T HAVE WRITTEN IT.

Really needed a second thread? Really?

Do you really think anyone would have read this post if it were number 38 on the previous thread. I was merely reporting on what seems to be an issue of great importance to the members of this forum. I wanted it to be read as the latest news on this subject, not buried as the 38th response to the previous thread. Having a difficult day at home, wife yell at you for not mowing the lawn, dog bite you? It's a nice day, get out of the house and enjoy it, and have a very nice day.:roll eyes:

The time they're spending in debate on this topic would almost be as a big a waste of time as discussing a Vikings stadium. Thankfully, that bill died a peaceful death.

John. Thanks for the updates. The screwball MN legislature would be better served to let the UM make their own decisions regarding TCF/booze. Talk about micromanagement and excessive government control! The Regents are probably shaking their collective heads no-no.

The U can ALREADY sell beer in the general seating areas if they want to. They don't want to. The most frustrating thing about the Legislature's actions and debate on this the past two years is that the people involved are completely ignorant about the factors surrounding this issue.

This is a great point. When the suites stop selling b/c you can't get a beer they'll figure it out. Then again maybe there is a method to their madness. Refuse to fund a Vikings stadium, team moves to LA, and you eliminate competition for suite sales. No beer, no problem. They truly are, as Sid would say 'geniuses'.

Stupid law. The revenue should go to the Ath. Dept, not the general scholarship fund, thats where the revenue lost was from. It helps the whole ath. dept, especially the non rev. sports. These people in St. Paul are as stupid as the ones in Wash.

Top Bottom