Book Recommendations

jamiche

Reaction score
Time for a new book thread. I've picked up some great recommendations here through the years.

1. Natchez Burning Trilogy (Greg Iles) The author keeps it sharp through about 2700 pages over three books. Civil rights and the clash of a couple of powerful families over a fifty year period in the deep south.

2. The Rosie Project (Graemme Simsion) Australian writer. A story about a brilliant genetics professor with Asperger's who is trying to find a wife. Really funny.

The original six Dune books (Frank Herbert......not Brian Herbert).
Hyperion and the three sequels.

I am just finishing up It Starts With Food - a very good book for anyone interested in learning about the start of Whole30 and the impact that clean eating can have on one's life.

Go Gophers!!

James Rollins Sigma Force series. Fun stuff.

I am just finishing up It Starts With Food - a very good book for anyone interested in learning about the start of Whole30 and the impact that clean eating can have on one's life.

Go Gophers!!

I was looking at this book a while back and then forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I just finished "Chasing Excellence" by Ben Bergeron. It's a must read for CrossFit enthusiasts, but also a good read for non CF'ers as well. It's a quick read told through the coaching of the top men's and women's CrossFit athletes in the 2016 CF Games, but many applicable life lessons for others in competitive fitness, those that coach youth sports or just want good advice at chasing excellence in any endeavor (work, personal life, etc).

Go Gophers!!

The last book I thought was truly outstanding was Gentleman in Moscow. Have read a bunch of decent books since then, but nothing that I thought was combination of entertaining and great writing

Time to revive this thread. A few recent books worth recommending:

"When All is Said" Great first book by Anne Griffin, an Irish writer.
"Above the Waterfall" and "Serena" by Ron Rash. "Above the Waterfall" is the better of the two, but both are good.
"Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. This is a fashionable, hot "book club" book, so I was a little skeptical. Great story. Glad I read it.

I need some recommendations. I read mostly fiction. No sci fi or fantasy.

“Daisy Jones and the Six” was a great book. About a band coming up in the 70’s and told through interviews with the members. Audio version is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to revive this thread. A few recent books worth recommending:

"When All is Said" Great first book by Anne Griffin, an Irish writer.
"Above the Waterfall" and "Serena" by Ron Rash. "Above the Waterfall" is the better of the two, but both are good.
"Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. This is a fashionable, hot "book club" book, so I was a little skeptical. Great story. Glad I read it.

I need some recommendations. I read mostly fiction. No sci fi or fantasy.

This was an interesting book. It jumps all over in time and place but manages to keep you focused on the central theme, the importance of storytelling. http://rabihalameddine.com/the-hakawati

Reading Pillars of the Earth. It’s excellent

Both of his trilogies are great. I think the best book he’s written was “Eye of the Needle.” I think it was his first one and it’s a wartime suspense thriller that I finished at 3am. He’s a good story teller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those who like military history, I strongly recommend Bruce Henderson's Sons and Soldiers: The Untold Story of the Jews Who Escaped the Nazis and Returned with the U.S. Army to Fight Hitler.

It's an amazing story and the author did an amazing job in detailing the childhood in Europe before fleeing Germany. It is really crazy how quickly Nazi sentiment took over Germany.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32600741-sons-and-soldiers

Reading Pillars of the Earth. It’s excellent

I've been working my way through the Trilogy series this year by Ken Follett. It's outstanding as well.

I prefer nonfiction and have two musician autobiographies for a cross-over recommendation.

I recently finished the Beastie Boys Book written by Diamond and Horovitz, with some guest contributors. Fun read for any fans. It's part BB history, part tribute to Yauch, part homage to NYC. Now I get all the references in their lyrics, like what is a grasshopper unit and how exactly does Russell Simmons steal money.

I'm nearing the end of Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink by Elvis Costello. Unlike the BBB, I still have no idea what's he's talking about half the time. Excellently written, but his writing style is similar to his lyrics, lots of layered meaning, etc. I really need to pay attention to catch his quips. It reads almost like he's annoyed writing it, and you're better for it.

Top Bottom