Biggest thing I have learned this season....

Texan Gopher

Reaction score
Highly recruited players that go to helmet schools, don't get playing time, then transfer out ....

WERE OVER-RATED AS RECRUITS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Transfer portal players that did well enough at smaller schools to get the P5 schools to bring them in as a transfer ....

WELL, THEY WERE UNDER-RATED IN HIGH SCHOOL AND WORKED THEIR BUTTS OFF TO GET BETTER AND PROVE THEIR WORTH.

The right side of our OL and D Wright are absolute disasters.

Bishop and some of the DL have been pretty decent.

We are going to need some transfer portal players this off season. Let's hope we bring in some kids with chips on their shoulders wanting to prove themselves not the "I am a 4 or 5 star according to journalists and I deserve more" players.

Might need to start a dedicated Wide Receivers NIL...maybe the Minnesota Flying Squirrels Fund...to buy a couple of quality but underused WRs that might be out there for the taking...

Starting to make sense why Carroll couldn't get playing time on an average Notre Dame team. Spurned us to go to West Bend.....and then came back to F up our line play.

Highly recruited players that go to helmet schools, don't get playing time, then transfer out ....

Transfer portal players that did well enough at smaller schools to get the P5 schools to bring them in as a transfer ....

WELL, THEY WERE UNDER-RATED IN HIGH SCHOOL AND WORKED THEIR BUTTS OFF TO GET BETTER AND PROVE THEIR WORTH.

For another example of who you are talking about: Jack Gibbens. He didn't receive a single P5 offer coming out of high school.

Minnesota, like Northwestern, is a developmental program. We are cyclical in how good we are. We peak and then we fall back. 2019 was our peak. We now go through the cycle to peak farther on down the line.
Minnesota will never have the donor funding to buy themselves a national championship and hire the most elite coaches. We will not be a helmet school. We will be a program that lands squarely in the "Common Man's" wheelhouse of mediocrity.

Really disappointed in D Wright, but maybe we should've seen it coming.

Didn't even travel and Fleck implies in after game presser that he didn't do "the right things on and off the field".

Would not be surprised if he announces he's transferring before the end of the season (wild guess).

We are going to need some transfer portal players this off season. Let's hope we bring in some kids with chips on their shoulders wanting to prove themselves not the "I am a 4 or 5 star according to journalists and I deserve more" players.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Yes and no. Chris Williamson came in from Florida and was really good. NP from Clemson was also a really strong player for us.

Theer is zero doubt that Wright has been a really big disappointment. Some of the hate being lobbed at Quinn Carroll is over the top but he has struggled.

Hate is a strong word for the criticism of Carroll. He doesn't seem to be performing as well as PJ is giving him credit for. I'm not an O line expert so that's all I'll say about him. I would add there are a lot of hardworking O lineman laboring at smaller/weaker schools that would give their left nut for the opportunity he has been given at the U. Just sayin'.

Minnesota, like Northwestern, is a developmental program. We are cyclical in how good we are. We peak and then we fall back. 2019 was our peak. We now go through the cycle to peak farther on down the line.
Minnesota will never have the donor funding to buy themselves a national championship and hire the most elite coaches. We will not be a helmet school. We will be a program that lands squarely in the "Common Man's" wheelhouse of mediocrity.
I agree but the NIL, as much as I think it spoils college sports, might be the answer for UM. Maybe money will entice top players to Minneapolis, a very difficult city to recruit to.

It made sense for him to go to West Bend. After all, look what it did for Refrigerator Perry!

Perhaps you meant South Bend.

lol. Good call. I usually do a better job of proofing my posts before submitting.

Bucky Irving is playing for Oregon because Oregon was high bidder at the auction.

that is the reality of college FB in 2022.

and a P5 school like MN has two choices - play the NIL game or not.

Look, I respect what the Dinkytown Athletics group is trying to do. But if you are talking about top-flight talent, and School X is promising $100,000 in NIL while the Gophers are offering $5,000, they're not going to win many of those battles.

Sure, there are a few kids who are not chasing the money - like the Basketball player that just committed to the Gophers.

but without finding a way to get better talent, MN is always going to be fighting an uphill battle.

Maybe right now for the Gophers, but that's a pretty big generalization.

Bucky Irving is playing for Oregon because Oregon was high bidder at the auction.

Look, I respect what the Dinkytown Athletics group is trying to do. But if you are talking about top-flight talent, and School X is promising $100,000 in NIL while the Gophers are offering $5,000, they're not going to win many of those battles.

Sure, there are a few kids who are not chasing the money - like the Basketball player that just committed to the Gophers.

but without finding a way to get better talent, MN is always going to be fighting an uphill battle.
Schools that are offering $100k to a high school kid who has played high school football .... those were schools we were losing recruiting battles to anyway, in the old system.

I don't expect things to work out much differently, at least for us. We're going to get 3* raw talent and develop them. And agree with Texan's OP that we should focus our efforts in the transfer portal on bringing guys up , not doing the D Wright thing, although MNVC mentioned some exceptions that did work for us.

Hate is a strong word for the criticism of Carroll. He doesn't seem to be performing as well as PJ is giving him credit for. I'm not an O line expert so that's all I'll say about him. I would add there are a lot of hardworking O lineman laboring at smaller/weaker schools that would give their left nut for the opportunity he has been given at the U. Just sayin'.
I believe he will be moved to guard next year and will excel.

This is JJ Guedet's 4th year in the Gopher program, and Tyrell Lawrence's and Martes Lewis's 3rd years.

None of them, apparently, are good enough to beat out Carroll.

Carroll way, way over rated. watching him in Penn State say to see why ND didn’t try to keep him.

We carry the fourth highest endowment in the Big Ten. Our alumni network is one of the largest in the country, and I would argue UMN has the capacity to reach them - as well as the slew of Fortune 500 companies HQ’d in the Twin Cities - for all sorts of NIL opportunities. Our athletic department is clearly failing at establishing relationships with both parties… I’m starting to think Fleck’s persona is playing into the lack of action on that front as well.

I would take a bunch of Alabama and Georgia backups in a heartbeat its easy to get buried on a depth chart at elite schools, Alvin Kamara, Justin Fields, Jacob Eason, Quinn Ewers, JT Daniels, St Juste, theres a ton of really good guys that leave big schools

We carry the fourth highest endowment in the Big Ten. Our alumni network is one of the largest in the country, and I would argue UMN has the capacity to reach them - as well as the slew of Fortune 500 companies HQ’d in the Twin Cities - for all sorts of NIL opportunities. Our athletic department is clearly failing at establishing relationships with both parties… I’m starting to think Fleck’s persona is playing into the lack of action on that front as well.
I don't think you understand how this works.

I don't think the endowment can be used for this purpose.
We may have a large alumni network, but years of apathy about FB and BB means we are digging out of a hole to start.

Fortune 500 companies? What are you, Sid? Those companies (I work for one) are interested in profits for shareholders. Not college sports.

The schools that can pay big money for players have extremely wealthy donors that are extremely invested in those programs. Texas A&M players are averaging $85,000. Michigan, $65,000. Oklahoma, $64,000.

Bryce Young is making $3.2 million.
CJ Stroud is making $2.5 million.
Caleb Williams - $2.4 million.

For a comparison, the NFL minimum is $705,000. This is the reality of big time college football going forward.

Top Bottom