Big Ten's Greatest Games: Season 3

Hates Monikers

Reaction score
BTN announced its schedule for the BT's greatest games (football). It will include the 1989 game vs. OSU, when we led 31-0 and lost. The Gopher football team has treated me pretty poorly since I became a fan in the early '70s, but that was the first agonizing, snatch-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-certain-victory game that I can remember. I couldn't have predicted then that such games would become a Gopher trademark.

Here's BTN's description:

Oct. 28, 1989 – Minneapolis, Minn. – Ohio State 41, Minnesota 37
Ohio State trailed Minnesota, 31-0, but staged an incredible comeback and defeated the Gophers 41-37, tying the record for the largest deficit overcome by a Division I-A team. In the first half, Buckeye quarterback Greg Frey completed just two of eight passes for 35 yards, and his two fumbles and an interception led to 17 Minnesota points. But in the second half, he was 18 for 23 for 327 yards. He also scored a touchdown and completed a pair of two-point conversion passes in the second half to spark the comeback.

The other new game involving the Gophers is the 1995 win over Purdue (39-38).

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/corporate/Greatest-Games-Season-3-FB.asp

I think they could run a full week of games where we were ahead and had meltdowns :cry:

Isn't the 1995 Purdue game when Chris Darkins ran for almost 300 yards? He was a beast in that game, I remember being at that one.

I think they could run a full week of games where we were ahead and had meltdowns :cry:

Isn't the 1995 Purdue game when Chris Darkins ran for almost 300 yards? He was a beast in that game, I remember being at that one.

It is the same game, he and Alstott both ended up with close to 300 yards each, that was a great game to be at.

That 1989 game is....

....far better told from the Ohio State side.

The "Prevent defense" prevented us from winning that game. I watched it on
TV from Texas.....absolutely miserable.

After a great first half, I saw what the D was doing to start the 2nd, and the end
result was as predictable as the sun going down. If you lay back in a prevent for 30 minutes
ANY team will score all half, much less Ohio State.

Coaches always say they weren't in a prevent, but as the saying goes:
"The eye in the sky don't lie".

I thank God I was not a Gopher fan when this happened. I don't think my life would be able to handle "2" 31 Point Meltdowns.......

The first game I witnessed Minnesota blow a lead was in 1992 against a ranked Colorado team, we lost 20-21, I was ***SICK***.......

Top Bottom