Big Ten Yards Per Play differential ranking

PitinoFan

Offensive yards per play minus defensive yards per play allowed.

Games against FCS opponents are not included.

I’ll update this every week.

—-

Big Ten updated avg YPP differential/game:

Ohio St 3.97
Wisconsin 3.86
Michigan St 2.04
Penn St 1.99
Nebraska 1.7
Iowa 0.83
Minnesota 0.69
Purdue 0.64
Indiana 0.52
Rutgers 0.4
Illinois/Maryland 0.26
Michigan 0.16
Northwestern -0.81

Source: https://twitter.com/biggerten/status/1175787102904233986?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replacement Gopher

Bordergopher

I really like this stat. It gives at least some indication about how the guys in the trenches are playing. We are faring better than I expected. I would love to see this stat additionally broken out into two sections: Differential on running plays and differential on passing plays.

Panthadad2

Updated Big Ten YPP differential/game (not including FCS):

Ohio St 3.71
Wisconsin 3.45
Penn St 3.41
Minnesota 2.08
Michigan/Michigan St 1.1
Iowa 1.08
Nebraska 0.67
Indiana 0.08
Maryland -0.34
Illinois -0.45
Northwestern -0.74
Purdue -1.2
Rutgers -1.45

https://twitter.com/biggerten/status/1180685747675906049?s=21

Finally an impressive complete defensive performance. I was worried about how the D would hold up versus a good running team.

I've also been concerned with the Gophs run game, but yesterday's performance helped dispel that. Illinois was the first team that didn't fully commit to stopping the run (committing extra D backs to TJ et al at times) and the Gophs were able to adjust.

...granted, it was Illinois which is turning out to be a dumpster fire.

PitinoFan

For context, the guy who puts these numbers together (Steve Deace) had this to say about the YPP differential stats. The Gophers are in the “very very good” category at the moment, but we still haven’t played the best teams on the schedule, so we’ll have to wait and see how it shakes out. There are also more games on the schedule that we will likely dominate, like Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, and possibly Nebraska.
—-

“Anything over a yard for a season usually means you’re good. Anything over 2 for a season means you’re very very good. Anything over 3 for a season means you’re elite.”

Last edited:

imthewalrus

For context, the guy who puts these numbers together (Steve Deace) had this to say about the YPP differential stats. The Gophers are in the “very very good” category at the moment, but we still haven’t played the best teams on the schedule, so we’ll have to wait and see how it shakes out. There are also more games on the schedule that we will likely dominate, like Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, and possibly Nebraska.
—-

“Anything over a yard for a season usually means you’re good. Anything over 2 for a season means you’re very very good. Anything over 3 for a season means you’re elite.”

Great Big Ten analysis tool! Nice job!

MGGopher

Well it's obvious exactly what level the Gophers are aiming for then...

Latest profile posts