Big Ten West Standings Graphic On ABC

Other than smashing the Badgers, we need Purdue to win and Iowa to lose, right?

The best thing about this.....is that unlike the Gophers......Purdue doesn't even have a route to win the West any longer.

I suspect we would win a 4-way Minn-Pur-Wis-Iowa tie but would lose a 3-way Minn-Wis-Iowa tie. So we need Purdue to get to 6-3 and tie for first with us.

Exactly. Purdue being included in the tie would net the Gophers an extra h2h win. Iowa would pick up a h2h loss. Purdue and Iowa's 1-2 h2h records in the four way tie would eliminate them.....leaving Minnesota and Wisconsin. Gophers would have the head to head tiebreaker against Wisconsin.

Yes, which is why it was right to leave the Gophers out. They aren't in contention.
Huh? We have to have better odds than Purdue. I'm not sure you know what the word contention means.

Is there a scenario where Purdue can go?

Assuming Purdue wins. ..

If WI wins - they go.
If WI loses and Iowa wins - Iowa goes.
If WI loses and Iowa loses - we go.

BTN's B1G Today show had the analysts say it's a 2 team race for the West and then under their breath mention MN could win it but would need Purdue to win.

Can't wait for the chaos timeline of an Iowa loss, Purdue win and of course, your Golden Gophers to win the Axe, and with it, the West Division.

BTN's B1G Today show had the analysts say it's a 2 team race for the West and then under their breath mention MN could win it but would need Purdue to win.

Can't wait for the chaos timeline of an Iowa loss, Purdue win and of course, your Golden Gophers to win the Axe, and with it, the West Division.
Minnesota beating wisconsin is the least likely of the 3 to happen.
I think Purdue winning is almost a given

Huh? We have to have better odds than Purdue. I'm not sure you know what the word contention means.

Assuming Purdue wins. ..

If WI wins - they go.
I too used to think that, but the only way we are in it is if Purdue wins and forces a 4-way tie for the West. We would hold tiebreakers over more teams (Purdue and WI) so we would win the West.

I too used to think that, but the only way we are in it is if Purdue wins and forces a 4-way tie for the West. We would hold tiebreakers over more teams (Purdue and WI) so we would win the West.
Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing.

I don't think there is a scenario where Purdue can go. Even if they win, if we beat WI (either MN or Iowa goes)). If WI beats us, we go.

Assuming Purdue wins. ..

If WI wins - they go.
Sure, the administrations of the three teams ahead of them vote to stay home for any number of reasons...covid, tight budgets, academics or to prove a point who is in control of the university etc etc
Happened with a trip to the Rose Bowl back in the day. (1962 Rose Bowl) Not suggesting it would happen with one, let alone three teams in 2021...so ya, no path for Purdue.

Top Bottom