Big Ten Schedule needs to go unbalanced.

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Link to the schedule this week.

I know this has been discussed, but the more I think about it the more I support an unbalanced schedule. Based on the schedule for this week most of the last three, the Big Ten needs to go to a unbalanced schedule and sprinkle the non-conference games around. Outside of Michigan this week no one will get any coverage unless they lose.

LSU v Auburn
Clemson v Florida State
Arizona v Oregon etc. etc. etc.

There are six top 25 teams playing non-BCS/non-AQ teams and the Big Ten has three of them.

The Big Ten just doesn't get any momentum unless you enjoy watching Notre Dame games.

Link to the schedule this week.

I know this has been discussed, but the more I think about it the more I support an unbalanced schedule. Based on the schedule for this week most of the last three, the Big Ten needs to go to a unbalanced schedule and sprinkle the non-conference games around. Outside of Michigan this week no one will get any coverage unless they lose.

LSU v Auburn
Clemson v Florida State
Arizona v Oregon etc. etc. etc.

There are six top 25 teams playing non-BCS/non-AQ teams and the Big Ten has three of them.

The Big Ten just doesn't get any momentum unless you enjoy watching Notre Dame games.

I guess I had always assumed that, for the most part, all conferences did it like we do, where we play our 4 non-conference games then play the conference schedule, but looking at the matchups last week, it seemed like the Big Ten was the only BCS conference to have not played a conference game in week 3 or before.

The other conferences have moved conference games into weeks 1-4 specifically to avoid competing with Big Ten conference games (which the networks love).

The B1G already plays an unbalanced schedule. No B1G team plays the same opponents as any other team.

I think you mean a "distributed schedule". I would be in favor of it, but no conference games week one, maybe not even week two.

The B1G already plays an unbalanced schedule. No B1G team plays the same opponents as any other team.

I think you mean a "distributed schedule". I would be in favor of it, but no conference games week one, maybe not even week two.

???

09/08 - MSU - @Central Michigan
09/22 - Central Michigan - @Iowa

09/01 - Illinois - @Western Michigan
09/15 - Western Michigan - @GOPHERS

09/01 - Northern Iowa - @Wisconsin
09/15 - Northern Iowa - @Iowa

09/15 - Navy - @PSU
10/20 - Indiana - @Navy

09/15 - Notre Dame - @MSU
09/22 - Michigan - @Notre Dame

???

09/08 - MSU - @Central Michigan
09/22 - Central Michigan - @Iowa

09/01 - Illinois - @Western Michigan
09/15 - Western Michigan - @GOPHERS

09/01 - Northern Iowa - @Wisconsin
09/15 - Northern Iowa - @Iowa

09/15 - Navy - @PSU
10/20 - Indiana - @Navy

09/15 - Notre Dame - @MSU
09/22 - Michigan - @Notre Dame

He meant conference games. Distribution should start in week #3 for Big Ten games.

Thanks, I should have known that. :banghead:

I agree and they should make the switch when they go to 9 conference games. Only thing left to do would be put the PAC-12 scheduling deal back on life support so you would be guaranteed 5 big time home and away games per season. So if you have 5 home that year you play the PAC-12 game on the road. The schedule two sacrificial lamb directional schools and we got ourselves a nice scheduling formula.

I like the idea of 4 non-conference games being played first. They act as the preseason games to the Big Ten schedule since it's only the Big Ten schedule that determines who goes to the Rose Bowl. I hate the idea of the distributed schedule for the same reason I hate the Thursday NFL games on the NFL Network - it's only about the money and it doesn't care about the game.

I like the idea of 4 non-conference games being played first. They act as the preseason games to the Big Ten schedule since it's only the Big Ten schedule that determines who goes to the Rose Bowl. I hate the idea of the distributed schedule for the same reason I hate the Thursday NFL games on the NFL Network - it's only about the money and it doesn't care about the game.

There are actually some advantages to it beyond financial. It allows you to schedule a cream puff in the middle of the B1G games. It could almost be a bye week. Install new packages, get healthy, rest, break up the pounding of league games. Obviously it depends on who you schedule but there is potential advantages. I agree with others that week 1 and probably week 2 league games should not be pursued.

There are actually some advantages to it beyond financial. It allows you to schedule a cream puff in the middle of the B1G games. It could almost be a bye week. Install new packages, get healthy, rest, break up the pounding of league games. Obviously it depends on who you schedule but there is potential advantages. I agree with others that week 1 and probably week 2 league games should not be pursued.

For every advantage there is an equal and opposite disadvantage.

Top Bottom