Big Ten may not invite all 18 teams to conference tournament starting in 2024-25

I like the idea of keeping it at 5 days. 6 days is too many.

I say invite all except the bottom 2. That keeps it a 5-day tournament:

Weakling Wednesday
#9 vs. #16
#10 vs. #15
#11 vs. #14
#12 vs. #13

2nd Round
#5 vs. #12/#13 winner
#6 vs. #11/#14 winner
#7 vs. #10/#15 winner
#8 vs. #9/#16 winner

Quarterfinals
#1 vs. #8/#9/#16 winner
#2 vs. #7/#10/#15 winner
#3 vs. #6/#11/#14 winner
#4 vs. #5/#12/#13 winner

Semis on Saturday, finals Sunday, as usual.
Expense factor is BS. The conference is getting paid billions. It can foot the bill for an extra night in a hotel. Major poke in the eye to oppressed players who are the driving force behind the money.
I see both sides of the argument, but I can't imagine a six-day tournament beginning only two days after the regular schedule wraps up. I do like the idea of multiple venues, but which cities could actually do that? I've been to music festivals with multiple venues, but it's all been within walking distance.

on the one hand, I can see the issues with logistics - more teams mean more games - probably an extra day to the tournament. that adds more expense.

on the other hand, it would be a real "bleep you" to the teams that don't qualify - especially if some of the original B1G teams are left out while the newcomers are included.

I would be very surprised if the Big Ten went ahead with leaving teams out.

I would be very surprised if the Big Ten went ahead with leaving teams out.
I would say start preparing yourself to be surprised.

Personally, my hunch is they will not take all 18 teams.

As far as Play In games at Home arenas, the only way that works is if the TV partners give up the Final Saturday-Sunday in the Regular season. Does not seem likely, as that's one of the few weekends that does not clash with the NFL.

I'd be fine with that so then only 1 bye for the top 4 teams. I never liked them having 2 byes.
Forcing the Top 4 teams (based on the Regular Season) to have to play 4 games in 4 days then turnaround a few days later for the main event (NCAA Tourney) is not going to fly.

If you leave out the last place teams, there are fewer chances for a coach to steal a win or two and keep their job.

I too thought they might expand it to 16. However, maybe they are thinking they don't want the 9 and 10 seeds (presumably bubble teams most years) to have to play games on Wednesday against weak opponents (15 and 16) where a loss really stings and a win doesn't help.

Conference tournaments:

View attachment 28830
Just a random fact/coincidence, I heard Henry Winkler on a podcast recently (I think Rob Lowe's). They talked about the Jump the Shark episode. I thought it was interesting that Winkler already knew how to water ski rather well, even was an instructor for camps on lakes in NY.

Top Bottom