Big Ten is planning on 20 game schedule; only 15 of its 18 teams in the Big Ten Tournament starting in 2025.

We will need to clarify the wording of minimal expectations for CBJ in year 4 (to get a year 5). Saying that he has to avoid Weakling Wednesday can now be done by not even making the conference tournament at all.
Whatever you say, counselor. 😂

With how spread out and how many teams there are, they should do an East/West split. 9 teams per division, each plays their division opponents twice during conference season giving 16 games. Remaining 4 games on a year-to-year random assignment from teams in the other division to get to 20. Playing 17 teams once just seems super unbalanced.

With how spread out and how many teams there are, they should do an East/West split. 9 teams per division, each plays their division opponents twice during conference season giving 16 games. Remaining 4 games on a year-to-year random assignment from teams in the other division to get to 20. Playing 17 teams once just seems super unbalanced.
I would be against such a proposal as it would then mean 4 games in the Pacific Time Zone for the Gophers annually.

I hope they can limit it to 2, and take care of them in 1 road trip.

Last edited:

She's official.

Beginning next season, both the Big Ten Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournament fields will expand to 15 teams (from 14), a format that maintains the five-day schedule of the event, provides access to all teams in contention for postseason invitations, and will maintain a double bye for each of the top four seeds while seeds 5-9 will receive a single bye.

Who teaches the writer? “The tournament expands “ is technically true but dodges the issue that teams won’t automatically be in it any more which is the real issue. I think this is awful for players who have worked all year and maybe are growing and developing.

9 seed is a bubble team most of the time.
The 9-16 game provides only downside for the conference. A bad loss.
Exactly what Katz says here. 8/9 is two tournament teams or bubble team. 9 vs 16 is a non benefit game for the 9 seed.

It will suck that in the future 3 Big 10 teams won't have the opportunity to go on an NC State like magical run, 5 Conf Tournament Wins followed up by a run to the Final 4.

I get that NC State finished 10th in a 15 team ACC, so they likely would not be excluded from a Tournament.

It will suck that in the future 3 Big 10 teams won't have the opportunity to go on an NC State like magical run, 5 Conf Tournament Wins followed up by a run to the Final 4.

I get that NC State finished 10th in a 15 team ACC, so they likely would not be excluded from a Tournament.
Especially if Purdue or Indiana are the teams that miss out when the tourney is in Indianapolis or any other team closest to the venue.

Top Bottom