Big Ten gives green light for attendance at Spring football

swingman

Reaction score
Attendance policies for all remaining 2020-21 Big Ten Conference regular season competitions will follow local health guidelines and restrictions, the conference announced on Wednesday. The decision to follow local health guidelines and restrictions was made jointly by the Big Ten Conference Directors of Athletics and the Council of Presidents and Chancellors in consultation with university medical experts and the conference office.

This policy update is effective immediately and includes spring football events. This decision follows the announcements by the conference on March 4, 2021, to allow a limited number of fans to attend the 2021 Big Ten Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments, and on March 9, 2021, to follow local health guidelines and restrictions for all remaining 2020-21 Big Ten Conference championships and tournaments. The goal is to transition from a conference-wide approach to local decision-making in consultation with public health departments and university medical experts.

Procedures for all remaining 2020-21 Big Ten championships, tournaments and regular season competitions will be designed to meet local and CDC guidelines to help limit the spread of COVID-19 as the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches, officials, fans and campus communities remain our highest priority.

My hope: the U enthusiastically embraces this announcement and opens the gates for a spring game to welcome fans back and test drive new policies and procedures for tailgating, stadium entrance, security, staggered seating, mask enforcement, etc.

My fear: the U announces that there isn't sufficient time to put in place the necessary policies and procedures to host fans for a spring game but "looks forward to welcoming fans back in the fall"

My expectation: whatever they do, the curse of the spring game weather returns and it all gets cancelled

Last edited:

for recruiting, for ticket sales, for student life on campus, for moving the reopening forward and supporting the Stadium Village and Dinkytown businesses, for sending a message that we take football as seriously as other schools that will be welcoming people back with open arms, I hope Coyle and Gabel get this done.

Last edited:

Based on correspondence almost a year ago with the AD, on this one he gets it.

Very hopeful...at least for the fall.

Some of you have forgot about the Governor of Minnesota. Plan on limited attendance. Sad
Governor Chickenshiite will never let it happen.
Unless something changes, they already have State approval for 10,000 fans for a spring game in April. Having attended a fair number of these events at TCF Bank Stadium, that should be more than enough. The ball is in the University's court on this one.

Last edited:

Governor Chickenshiite will never let it happen.
He will do all he can to keep things down, shut down, or masked up. It is up to the people to let him know it is time to move on from this.

Attendance policies for all remaining 2020-21 Big Ten Conference regular season competitions will follow local health guidelines and restrictions, the conference announced on Wednesday. The decision to follow local health guidelines and restrictions was made jointly by the Big Ten Conference Directors of Athletics and the Council of Presidents and Chancellors in consultation with university medical experts and the conference office.

This policy update is effective immediately and includes spring football events. This decision follows the announcements by the conference on March 4, 2021, to allow a limited number of fans to attend the 2021 Big Ten Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments, and on March 9, 2021, to follow local health guidelines and restrictions for all remaining 2020-21 Big Ten Conference championships and tournaments. The goal is to transition from a conference-wide approach to local decision-making in consultation with public health departments and university medical experts.

Procedures for all remaining 2020-21 Big Ten championships, tournaments and regular season competitions will be designed to meet local and CDC guidelines to help limit the spread of COVID-19 as the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches, officials, fans and campus communities remain our highest priority.
Based on the linked Strib article, they are at least open to the idea at the U of M to have people attend the spring game.

My hope: the U enthusiastically embraces this announcement and opens the gates for a spring game to welcome fans back and test drive new policies and procedures for tailgating, stadium entrance, security, staggered seating, mask enforcement, etc.

My fear: the U announces that there isn't sufficient time to put in place the necessary policies and procedures to host fans for a spring game but "looks forward to welcoming fans back in the fall"

My expectation: whatever they do, the curse of the spring game weather returns and it all gets cancelled
If I take one for the team and plan an indoor gathering with my wife's family in some stale community center with no TV, I promise you the weather will be perfect.

Unless something changes, they already have State approval for 10,000 fans for a spring game in April. Having attended a fair number of these events at TCF Bank Stadium, that should be more than enough. The ball is in the University's court on this one.
And let people scatter this time! I was not a fan of everyone being corralled into a few sections on the visitor's side that one year.

Top Bottom