Big Ten Football: 3 most overrated head coaches ahead of 2023

I guess I am still trying to find all these people who are saying PJ is one of the top coaches in the conference. The only time I ever hear it is when he is discussed on broadcasts the same way coaches who have never won a game are talked up. I doubt even he would say he is *ahem* elite when it comes to Big Ten coaches.

He is the right coach for our job. Where that ranks him in the Big Ten I couldn't tell ya nor do I really care.
You are close to being a top coach if you have title trophies to back it up.

I don’t think people in Minnesota perceive him as a top big ten coach.

My top overrated coaches would be:
1) Fitzgerald
2) Schiano
3) Fickell

But hard for me to put Fickell there yet as he hasn’t even coached at wisconsin. A lot of people have won at Cincinnati though.
So Fitz is your number one overrated?

- Two Big Ten West championships
- Two first round draft picks two years ago
- Two projected first rounders (including a projected top ten pick) this year
- Harder admissions than the U of M

I can see why he would be your number one as he has accomplished more with less than Fleck!

So Fitz is your number one overrated?

- Two Big Ten West championships
- Two first round draft picks two years ago
- Two projected first rounders (including a projected top ten pick) this year
- Harder admissions than the U of M

I can see why he would be your number one as he has accomplished more with less than Fleck!
I mean he has had 3 really good years and also some terrible years.
Bottom 2 of his division 5 of 9 years.
Zero big ten titles. Both northwestern coaches preceding him won big ten titles.

I mean he has had 3 really good years and also some terrible years.
Bottom 2 of his division 5 of 9 years.
Zero big ten titles. Both northwestern coaches preceding him won big ten titles.
But he has won the Big Ten West two more times than PJ, and beaten Iowa four times since PJ took over the Gophers. Apparently even during terrible years.

Hard to call that the most overrated Big Ten coach in my opinion. But maybe my rosy glasses are not as Maroon as they should be.

But he has won the Big Ten West two more times than PJ, and beaten Iowa four times since PJ took over the Gophers. Apparently even during terrible years.

Hard to call that the most overrated Big Ten coach in my opinion. But maybe my rosy glasses are not as Maroon as they should be.
9-25 in his last 34 big ten games
Judging Fitzgerald has literally nothing to do with the gophers.
14-31 in his last 45 games
0-3 against fleck his last 3

I guess my rosy glasses aren’t as purple as they should be

To be fair, if you take the gophers out of the equation he is 9-22 in his last 31
Which is much better than 9-25 his last 34

"Forget his record. He could have done better. Overrated!"

The MSU guy put a lot of thought into that article didn't he? And then the MSU guy made the Penn State coach the most overrated.

Fansided has a purpose but rarely is it a thoughtful one.

I agree they are all good coaches.
But Fitzgerald isn’t a top 20 coach in the country like some think. Nor is Fickell.

Schiano isn’t a top 50 coach in the country, like some think.

That’s what overrated means.
Overrated doesn’t mean bad.

The big ten has at least 13 good coaches. Jury out on Purdue guy.
Maryland guy has flipped my opinion.
Out of curiosity, how good do you think Fickell is? He had Cinci in the top 25 for the past 4 years in a row. Prior to that they had not even made a bowl game in a few years...

Out of curiosity, how good do you think Fickell is? He had Cinci in the top 25 for the past 4 years in a row. Prior to that they had not even made a bowl game in a few years...
Fickell is definitely a good coach. Not a (proven) great coach

3 of the last 4 coaches at cincinatti had Cincinnati finish in the top 25. And the one before that was mark dantonio.
Tommy tuberville won 9 games twice in four years.

The only difference between 2021 cinci and 2009 cinci is that one was in the BCS era and the other was in the playoff era.

Fickell also is the only coach to have a losing season at Ohio state since 1990. And you can say sanctions all you want. But the next year after Fickell left they went 12-0 with those same sanctions.

BUT I still think Fickell is a really good coach. I just don’t think is a sure fire top 15 coach in the country.
He’s closer to a PJ fleck/Scott frost/Jeff Brohm/ hire than he is to an urban Meyer @ Ohio state type hire.
He is really close to an urban Meyer when Florida hired him type hire.
So really it’ll come down to how good he is and how good of a fit he is.

The comps I’m giving him aren’t hugely insulting:
Fleck, Brohm, frost, Brian Kelly, butch jones
If he is the average of those 5, he is a pretty good coach…but not a great coach.

Last edited:

Over rated for sure.... But he's produced better than any MN coach since the 60s... Hence why y'all don't think he's over rated.

Top Bottom