Big Ten Coaching Rankings

bemidjigopher

Banned
Reaction score
Curious how everyone views the coaches across the league If they would rank them based on their full body of work as a coach, just their Big ten body of work. Do people grade on a curve, based on various programs expectations. Do people only value what goes on the court, or do they put as much emphasis on online Recruiting rankings as Mark Coyle. Below is my opinion, thought it be fun to do this, after Selections pre season thread. Everyone feel free to post there rankings or chime in

1) Tom Izzo, MSU. Only coach in the league with a national title, eight final fours. Strong Title contender next year.

2) John Beilien, Michigan. Two national runner ups, the names change, but the results stay the same. They lose some guys, but they'll be too four in the league at worst next year

3) Matt Painter, Purdue. Great teacher, Purdue's biggest asset. If Hummell hadn't got hurt, I still believe he would have a national title. Lost four seniors from a sweet 16 team, but returned his best piece and got to the Elite 8. Not sure he will have the horses next year, but they'll be tough as always at Mackey

4) Chris Holtmann, OSU. Last five years, he's won at least one game in the NCAA. Has a strong recruiting class coming in to help challenge for a Big Ten title

5) Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska. Five years at ISU, four tourney births, sweet 16. Be interesting to see if he can get transfers to Lincoln like he did at Ames.

6) Archie Miller, IU. This is mostly for his work at Dayton, taking them to the Elite 8 and winning two A10 titles. Could move up at IU, but another bad year, could see him move down a few notches

7) Mark Turgeon. Recruits well, gets to the tourney, but it always feel like his teams should be better. Like Don Lucia without the titles.

8) Fran McCaffrey, Iowa. Took over a complete dumpster fire of a situation at Iowa. Four tourney births, has an interesting team coming back this year.

9) Greg Hard, Wisconsin. Has a better record than quite a few guys ahead of him, but Bo Ryan left him alot of nice pieces. The next couple of years will show us if he can sustain a program, or if he's a Larry Coker type that is slowly driving the train off the tracks.

10) Richard Pitino, I like Pitino and think he can move up, has a chance to get to the tourney for the third time in four years. Recruiting is ticking up, but there's alot of great coaches in this league. Gonna have to take alot of small steps to take a big one.

11) Brad Underwood, Illinois. In a great position for this year. Has recruited well, changed the culture in Champaign and his teams play very hard. Could move up some spots if he can achieve a top four finish.

12) Chris Collins, NW. As the only guy to take NW to the dance and win a game, the fact that I have him 12 shows the depth of coaching in this league. Had two bad years, can't seem to solve the PG issue, I think he's got a couple years to get it back on track.

13) Pat Chambers PSU. Has an NIT title to his name. May have had a tourney team last year if Tony Carr hadn't gotten bad advise. If Lamar Stevens returns it could happen next year and if it does I hope he parlays it into something better. You're hired to be fired in Happy Valley.

14) Steve Pikiell Rutgers, Has established a tough no nonsense culture and as a result the RAQ has become a tough place to play. Team has a Jerry Kill feel to it. They'll be a sleeper for the dance next year, may have been last year if Coby Saunders hadn't received bad draft advise either, him and Geo Baker would've made a tough back court.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well done. There are a few guys where I'd differ by a spot or two, but this looks pretty fair overall

Curious how everyone views the coaches across the league If they would rank them based on their full body of work as a coach, just their Big ten body of work. Do people grade on a curve, based on various programs expectations. Do people only value what goes on the court, or do they put as much emphasis on online Recruiting rankings as Mark Coyle. Below is my opinion, thought it be fun to do this, after Selections pre season thread. Everyone feel free to post there rankings or chime in

1) Tom Izzo, MSU. Only coach in the league with a national title, eight final fours. Strong Title contender next year.

2) John Beilien, Michigan. Two national runner ups, the names change, but the results stay the same. They lose some guys, but they'll be too four in the league at worst next year

3) Matt Painter, Purdue. Great teacher, Purdue's biggest asset. If Hummell hadn't got hurt, I still believe he would have a national title. Lost four seniors from a sweet 16 team, but returned his best piece and got to the Elite 8. Not sure he will have the horses next year, but they'll be tough as always at Mackey

4) Chris Holtmann, OSU. Last five years, he's won at least one game in the NCAA. Has a strong recruiting class coming in to help challenge for a Big Ten title

5) Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska. Five years at ISU, four tourney births, sweet 16. Be interesting to see if he can get transfers to Lincoln like he did at Ames.

6) Archie Miller, IU. This is mostly for his work at Dayton, taking them to the Elite 8 and winning two A10 titles. Could move up at IU, but another bad year, could see him move down a few notches

7) Mark Turgeon. Recruits well, gets to the tourney, but it always feel like his teams should be better. Like Don Lucia without the titles.

8) Fran McCaffrey, Iowa. Took over a complete dumpster fire of a situation at Iowa. Four tourney births, has an interesting team coming back this year.

9) Greg Hard, Wisconsin. Has a better record than quite a few guys ahead of him, but Bo Ryan left him alot of nice pieces. The next couple of years will show us if he can sustain a program, or if he's a Larry Coker type that is slowly driving the train off the tracks.

10) Richard Pitino, I like Pitino and think he can move up, has a chance to get to the tourney for the third time in four years. Recruiting is ticking up, but there's alot of great coaches in this league. Gonna have to take alot of small steps to take a big one.

11) Brad Underwood, Illinois. In a great position for this year. Has recruited well, changed the culture in Champaign and his teams play very hard. Could move up some spots if he can achieve a top four finish.

12) Chris Collins, NW. As the only guy to take NW to the dance and win a game, the fact that I have him 12 shows the depth of coaching in this league. Had two bad years, can't seem to solve the PG issue, I think he's got a couple years to get it back on track.

13) Pat Chambers PSU. Has an NIT title to his name. May have had a tourney team last year if Tony Carr hadn't gotten bad advise. If Lamar Stevens returns it could happen next year and if it does I hope he parlays it into something better. You're hired to be fired in Happy Valley.

14) Steve Pikiell Rutgers, Has established a tough no nonsense culture and as a result the RAQ has become a tough place to play. Team has a Jerry Kill feel to it. They'll be a sleeper for the dance next year, may have been last year if Coby Saunders hadn't received bad draft advise either, him and Geo Baker would've made a tough back court.

Is this a gross alter ego or something?

Holtman, Hoiberg, Miller, McCaffrey and Turgeon should all be behind GARD. Pitino would be above several of them. Bo Ryan left GARD. Hayes, Koenig, a scandal, and empty shelves in the recruit bin.

My list goes like this:

Painter

Izzo
Beilien

Gard
Holtman

Hoiberg

Pitino
Pikiell
Chambers

Underwood
Miller

Collins

McCaffery
Turgeon

Izzo is good, but always has the best talent. With all those FFs, can't beat the best in the end and most of the losses have been lopsided.

After the top 3, most have not completely established themselves. I give credit to several of the lower tier guys for making progress. Rutgers when they entered the league was abysmal. Pikiell has made them a competitive entity. Same for Chambers at PSU. Fran & Turgeon are awful, maybe they prove me wrong next year but until they do they belong at the bottom below others that have yet to show me one way or the other.

The one that I have the most trouble with is Collins. It seemed he was trending up but they went the other way quick and not sure he will last to bring them back.

Holtman, Hoiberg, Miller, McCaffrey and Turgeon should all be behind GARD. Pitino would be above several of them. Bo Ryan left GARD. Hayes, Koenig, a scandal, and empty shelves in the recruit bin.
Left him Happ too, Showalter was a decent guard. Thought Vito was decent as well. What scandal?

My list goes like this:

Painter

Izzo
Beilien

Gard
Holtman

Hoiberg

Pitino
Pikiell
Chambers

Underwood
Miller

Collins

McCaffery
Turgeon

Izzo is good, but always has the best talent. With all those FFs, can't beat the best in the end and most of the losses have been lopsided.

After the top 3, most have not completely established themselves. I give credit to several of the lower tier guys for making progress. Rutgers when they entered the league was abysmal. Pikiell has made them a competitive entity. Same for Chambers at PSU. Fran & Turgeon are awful, maybe they prove me wrong next year but until they do they belong at the bottom below others that have yet to show me one way or the other.

The one that I have the most trouble with is Collins. It seemed he was trending up but they went the other way quick and not sure he will last to bring them back.
I think guys like Pikiell and Chambers and especially Underwood could move up, they just haven't had any fruit to their labor yet. I guess I give Fran more credit because of how hard Iowa fell under Lickliter. I also think Gard inherited a great situation, but I think they'll give him a few years to prove me wrong, will see.

My list goes like this:

Painter

Izzo
Beilien

Gard
Holtman

Hoiberg

Pitino
Pikiell
Chambers

Underwood
Miller

Collins

McCaffery
Turgeon

This ranking is so bad I don't even know where to begin

Left him Happ too, Showalter was a decent guard. Thought Vito was decent as well. What scandal?

Showalter was a walk on and Vitto was not rated or if he was, very low. Happ was a low recruit as well and a RSfreshman. Bo's girlfriend really? lol

Showalter was a walk on and Vitto was not rated or if he was, very low. Happ was a low recruit as well and a RSfreshman. Bo's girlfriend really? lol
I don't think it matters how they got there, what matters is what they do on the court. As for Bo's sexy time, has nothing to do with the team. Plenty of people are unfaithful and gave professional success

Well done. There are a few guys where I'd differ by a spot or two, but this looks pretty fair overall
Yeah some of them were tough, Gard, Fran, Turgeon and Archie, among others. Who knows how Hoiberg will do in Lincoln. It really shows how deep the coaching pool is in this league and why there are a dozen teams who have a reasonable shot at dancing this up coming season

I very much would like to see how Pitino does this coming season with Coffey back and two more additional eligible additions. He has been hamstrung by a faulty roster most every year. (Some by his own doing and some by circumstances you can't imagine or recover from) He did beat Painter twice this season and once last year. Was ahead of Belein at Michigan with one second to go. We are in almost every game under Richard when we have scholarship players available and we even hung in some games with walkons.
Pitino seems to have had more bad luck than is normal. Someday, I think he is going to show everybody the Big Ten Coach of the Year was not a fluke. The NIT run was pretty impressive as well. I think, we're due for another nice run.

I don't think it matters how they got there, what matters is what they do on the court. As for Bo's sexy time, has nothing to do with the team. Plenty of people are unfaithful and gave professional success

I would bet Greg Gard would disagree. He would choose to never live through anything close to that again. The constant media questions, your feelings and empathy for a friend being denounced after an impressive career, you wouldn't have the job without him, the rumors, the whispers, the lies, the public comments...it all effected Gard and Wisconsin basketball.

I would bet Greg Gard would disagree. He would choose to never live through anything close to that again. The constant media questions, your feelings and empathy for a friend being denounced after an impressive career, you wouldn't have the job without him, the rumors, the whispers, the lies, the public comments...it all effected Gard and Wisconsin basketball.
First off all of that is on Bo, he made his choices in his personal life, quite frankly it sounded his family thought he was a POS long before. I am sure the questions were annoying, but that's parts of sitting in the boss chair. It also sounded like Bo only came back that year to quit, spite Alvarez and hand job to Gard, and last but not least they went 12-6 and got to the Sweet 16 with the guys Ryan had assembled.

Are you nuts? Why all the love for Hoiberg? What has he done? He won't be able to poach all of the transfers when he was the only game in town. Also, are your rankings based upon what they have accomplished in the B1G or you feeling about their potential based upon earlier careers at much lower levels?

Are you nuts? Why all the love for Hoiberg? What has he done? He won't be able to poach all of the transfers when he was the only game in town. Also, are your rankings based upon what they have accomplished in the B1G or you feeling about their potential based upon earlier careers at much lower levels?
Well there like my opinion man. Lol. I don't put much stock into the future, if I did Underwood for example would be higher. As for Fred, Big 12 tourney title, Sweet 16, four tourney births in five years, I think fifth is pretty reasonable. Iowa State was also a dumpster fire when he arrived. Feel free to post yours. Also when Archie went to the Elite 8, the A 10 had six bids, more than the ACC that year and I freely admitted mist of his ranking came from his Dayton years. I didn't consider Fran's career at Siena or Beilien career at WVU,. Hoiberg at ISU is all I can go off on. I did factor Butler with Holtmann, I know nothing about Pikiell or Chambers pre big ten years. Collins was an assistant. Pitino had one year cleaning up after Isaiah Thomas.

This ranking is so bad I don't even know where to begin

The only real difference between my list and the original is I have Painter high and the 2 truly bad coaches low.

I don't think we have enough info to truly rank most if the others. Miller might be a bit low but I was not impressed this past year. Underwood, Hoiberg, Holtman are complete unknowns in my opinion as they have to do it in the B1G before I can weigh in.

I have Gard #4. I suppose some could argue that. I think he has handled two particular teams really well. Taking over for Bo midseason, he turned around a team that was playing very poorly and had a high finish and solid tourney run. Then last year, the team loses the backcourt of a young team. He can't guide that depleted team to a bid, but the final 10 or so games they played at that level. He has yet to field a team of his own making and his recruiting has been hampered a bit by a large class that Bo had in his final year.

Bo should have retired after the title game loss vs Duke and I think he was planning to. Gard's father was in the late stages of a fatal cancer fight in that time period and he didn't feel the transition would go well.

After the first 4 I found this very difficult. A lot of coin flipping. Tried to combine Big Ten success with other college coaching success.

Izzo

Beilein

Painter

Holtmann

Hoiberg

Turgeon

McCaffery

Miller

Gard

Pitino

Pikiell

Underwood

Collins

Chambers

I respectfully disagree with your rankings! Pitino should be top 8 based on his twitter feed alone! Ok, all kidding aside here are my rankings:

Cream of the crop members:
1. Tom Izzo
2. Matt Painter
3. John Beilien

2% Milk class:
4. Greg Gard - F'ing Badger coach gets it done. Let's see what he does without Happ. My guess is he outperforms expectations.
5. Mark Turgeon - Always up near the top, always has a great roster, and always falls short. May never thicken his way to the top.
6. Chris Holtmann - As long as he beats the Gophers at home every year, he won't fall on his face.

Half and Half:
7. Fred Hoiberg - Great results in the Big 12, lousy results in the NBA, and now big expectations in the B1G. This isn't the Big 12 Fred, gonna have to start recruiting tall linebacker types to play here.

1%:
8. Richard Pitino - Former coach of the year! Just a bad run of injuries and legal problems from having three consecutive trips to the dance. Nobody below him can make those claims.
9. Brad Underwood - thickening agent Kofi Cockburn should help push him up with the return of DesoIdontknowhowtospell.
10. Steve Pikiell - Watch out B1G! This guy knows how to play hoops in the league and is making Rutgers a tough out every game.
11. Archie Miller - Guess we have to wait another year to see what he can do with B1G recruits and the best brand name in the league. Hasn't shown much so far.

Skim Milk:
12. Fran McCaffrey - Teams always seem to perform worse than expectations.
13. Chris Collins - How he didn't make it back to the dance the year after he did is one of basketball's greatest mysteries to me! Must have been the coaching.
14. Pat Chambers - Perennial Dead Man Walking. More of a mercy kill to get fired from PSU Basketball.

I didn't say he didn't or couldn't have success. I said he left a scandal! He did. No sugar coating it. Nice of you to defend Bo though. Those recruits were as much Gards as they were Ryans. Ryan' recruiting was OK. Gard did the heavy lifting.

I didn't say he didn't or couldn't have success. I said he left a scandal! He did. No sugar coating it. Nice of you to defend Bo though. Those recruits were as much Gards as they were Ryans. Ryan' recruiting was OK. Gard did the heavy lifting.
If it makes you feel better defending Bo Ryan makes my skin crawl. However the man could flat out teach and he constantly turned chicken **** into chicken salad by getting more out of his players then they probably thought they were capable of. It's extremely rare to have that and that's why I think Gard needs better pieces chess board. Out side of his 3017 class and Trice, IAM pretty skeptical of his recruiting. Though he has an opportunity to land the Hauser's and put Badgers back in the title mix when there eligible. Maybe it was a scandal, but being a goober fan, Bo Ryan side piece is child's play compared to our scandals.

We all know Pitino the best interview in the league, maybe in the country. Has away of being honest without tossing anyone under the bus, with that great east coast sarcasm

Well there like my opinion man. Lol. I don't put much stock into the future, if I did Underwood for example would be higher. As for Fred, Big 12 tourney title, Sweet 16, four tourney births in five years, I think fifth is pretty reasonable. Iowa State was also a dumpster fire when he arrived. Feel free to post yours. Also when Archie went to the Elite 8, the A 10 had six bids, more than the ACC that year and I freely admitted mist of his ranking came from his Dayton years. I didn't consider Fran's career at Siena or Beilien career at WVU,. Hoiberg at ISU is all I can go off on. I did factor Butler with Holtmann, I know nothing about Pikiell or Chambers pre big ten years. Collins was an assistant. Pitino had one year cleaning up after Isaiah Thomas.

Hey, you gave much more effort than I did. Have to give you credit for the effort and starting a conversation with a lot of different opinions. I would put Pitino higher and Some others lower like Hoiberg.

Interesting to see how people think it will change in 5 years. I would expect Pitino to be in the top 5, with Izzo, Guard and Hoiberg out of the B1G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only real difference between my list and the original is I have Painter high and the 2 truly bad coaches low.

I don't think we have enough info to truly rank most if the others. Miller might be a bit low but I was not impressed this past year. Underwood, Hoiberg, Holtman are complete unknowns in my opinion as they have to do it in the B1G before I can weigh in.

I have Gard #4. I suppose some could argue that. I think he has handled two particular teams really well. Taking over for Bo midseason, he turned around a team that was playing very poorly and had a high finish and solid tourney run. Then last year, the team loses the backcourt of a young team. He can't guide that depleted team to a bid, but the final 10 or so games they played at that level. He has yet to field a team of his own making and his recruiting has been hampered a bit by a large class that Bo had in his final year.

Bo should have retired after the title game loss vs Duke and I think he was planning to. Gard's father was in the late stages of a fatal cancer fight in that time period and he didn't feel the transition would go well.

You had Turgeon 14th. That alone makes you pretty difficult to take seriously

Hey, you gave much more effort than I did. Have to give you credit for the effort and starting a conversation with a lot of different opinions. I would put Pitino higher and Some others lower like Hoiberg.

Interesting to see how people think it will change in 5 years. I would expect Pitino to be in the top 5, with Izzo, Guard and Hoiberg out of the B1G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope Pitino can crack the top five, probably need a sweet 16 or an elite 8, and a conference title in the next few years to cement himself, while keeping the team in tournament contention. Hopefully we can have a run like Clem did from 88-99. I agree with the sentiment of this post, part of the reason I started was there are so many good coaches in this league and after the top three there is slot of grey area between 4-11. It's fun to see what everyone thinks and to extent what everyone looks for in a good coach.

Your rankings, with some exceptions, seem to follow the standings. Miller has had only two years but must be a huge disappointment to Indiana fans so far. Collins has had two bad years in a row and also had at least 3 players transfer this year. From what I have seen of Pikiell so far, I definitely think he deserves higher than 14th.

I think Fred is great but don't see the point of ranking him before the start of the season. Some people thought Scott Frost would be an instant success at Nebraska but the first year didn't pan out that way.

Your rankings, with some exceptions, seem to follow the standings. Miller has had only two years but must be a huge disappointment to Indiana fans so far. Collins has had two bad years in a row and also had at least 3 players transfer this year. From what I have seen of Pikiell so far, I definitely think he deserves higher than 14th.

I think Fred is great but don't see the point of ranking him before the start of the season. Some people thought Scott Frost would be an instant success at Nebraska but the first year didn't pan out that way.
Funny thing is I didn't even think about the standings. Didn't really have an exact criteria, though I'll admit for guys like Piekell and Underwood that I liked them, I just need to see some payoff, I gave slot of faith in Underwood, Piekell the margin for error seems to be razor thin.. I admit Archie is mostly riding the coatails of his work at Dayton, Hoiberg had success at ISU and I just couldn't ignore that. I suppose you're right that often times wins and loses often coralate with the best and worst coaches

Top Bottom