Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2023 (MN: "When you talk about this program, you are basically talking about culture")

The bigger loss might be on defense. The biggest risk from moving on from Leonhard?
It's interesting that the overall read I get on it is Badger fans are bummed he's gone. However, in any argument about how big of a loss he is, they are quick to reference that the last few losses to Minnesota came because of the defenses inability to stop slants and simple running plays. Their new DC is no slouch though either and Fickell was a DC himself.

I keep going back to this whenever I see analyst predictions are crowning Wisconsin.
They are changing EVERYTHING on offense and the media/fans are expecting instant success.
So similar to Nebraska every year, pointing to the changes thinking that will equal big success right away. But then you look at the returning all big ten players or preseason all big 10 teams and you don’t see many players from those teams, it just doesn’t really make sense that they’ll make a huge jump.

It's interesting that the overall read I get on it is Badger fans are bummed he's gone. However, in any argument about how big of a loss he is, they are quick to reference that the last few losses to Minnesota came because of the defenses inability to stop slants and simple running plays. Their new DC is no slouch though either and Fickell was a DC himself.

Wisconsin has had a top 10 defense every year except one I believe, with Leonhard. They might be great under Tressell, might not be. Just not as much of a track record in the Big Ten as DC.

IMO the Wisconsin defense was more special and important to their success than their offense ever was. And their offense was…ok and occasionally efficient but sort of meh, particularly of late with Mertz torpedoing drives. I’ll miss him. Ancient history now.

Wisconsin has had a top 10 defense every year except one I believe, with Leonhard. They might be great under Tressell, might not be. Just not as much of a track record in the Big Ten as DC.

IMO the Wisconsin defense was more special and important to their success than their offense ever was. And their offense was…ok and occasionally efficient but sort of meh, particularly of late with Mertz torpedoing drives. I’ll miss him. Ancient history now.
Absolutely 100% accurate on their offense. Chryst likely chose his fate when he played Mertz over Coan, who was a pretty solid but unspectacular QB who started at ND.

Chryst the OC was such a better offensive play caller than Chryst the HC. Hopefully he doesn't ever end up back in the B1G as an OC.

Absolutely 100% accurate on their offense. Chryst likely chose his fate when he played Mertz over Coan, who was a pretty solid but unspectacular QB who started at ND.

Chryst the OC was such a better offensive play caller than Chryst the HC. Hopefully he doesn't ever end up back in the B1G as an OC.

From what we saw in the Wisconsin spring game Mordecai may be a gun-slinging turnover machine as well. Holy cow that was bad. Time will tell,

Top Bottom