Big Ten Championship game to be on Fox

For college football there is nobody quite like Brent Musburger. When he say "You are looking live at (insert legendary college football name, or nickname, here)" I get goosebumps every time. To me Musburger has a way of laying out a major moment like no one else in the business.

But for March Madness it's gotta be Gus Johnson. No offense Jim Nantz but how much better would it have been Gordan Hayward's last second shot was called by Gus Johnson? Leave the Master's to Nantz and the Final Four to Johnson, CBS.

I also like Gus!

but... Brent is a little too.... the words not coming to me, but he's over the top (poetic)?

Are they paying the Big 10 this, or are they paying the Big 10 Network this? Obviously, 51% of 140 million is a lot less impressive, but the big # in the press release makes everyone happy, even though half the $$ is just changing pockets.

His tweet didn't say, but my guess would be the conference gets it all since this seems to be a separate deal from the one signed with Fox Sports for the Big Ten Network.

People like to rip on Dick and Bert (who in the local media doesn't get ripped on?) but they're actually quite good. Bremer is an excellent play-by-play guy and I miss him and Dutcher doing Gopher basketball.

Dick is very good and I too miss him doing college hoops.

On Bert, I actually really like him. I grew up a Cubs fan and Bert provides a level of insight to the game not all that far below what Steve Stone did on Cubs broadcasts. Bert's a little more folksy but he relates a lot of baseball knowledge well.

Dick is very good and I too miss him doing college hoops.

On Bert, I actually really like him. I grew up a Cubs fan and Bert provides a level of insight to the game not all that far below what Steve Stone did on Cubs broadcasts. Bert's a little more folksy but he relates a lot of baseball knowledge well.

I like Bremer's delivery and his personality. Wouldn't mind him doing football or hoops.

Personally, I don't care for Bert. Too much baby boomer humor for my taste.

His tweet didn't say, but my guess would be the conference gets it all since this seems to be a separate deal from the one signed with Fox Sports for the Big Ten Network.

Technically though, any Big 10 game not given to ESPN/ABC belongs to the Big 10 Network. Fox would have had to buy the rights to it from the BTN. They may have made some sort of exception for this, I don't know. In any case it's all semantics since they're all in the same bed. But it's an easy way to inflate the value and make it look good for the other conferences.

Estimates that people were saying during the expansion talk were 7-10 million extra for the conference championship game. Looks like it is 51% of 23 million + Ticket Sales + Merchandise Sales + Concessions + Whatever Lucas Oil Stadium bid to get the game.

If the Big Ten gets all 23 million, then the SEC really has a problem. The Big Ten title game is worth almost half of the SECs entire deal with CBS.

Technically though, any Big 10 game not given to ESPN/ABC belongs to the Big 10 Network. Fox would have had to buy the rights to it from the BTN. They may have made some sort of exception for this, I don't know. In any case it's all semantics since they're all in the same bed. But it's an easy way to inflate the value and make it look good for the other conferences.

That is certainly true of regular season games but it'd be interesting to know if the original BTN deal was written to include a championship game. It is certainly possible that the conference made a deal that considers the title game to be a separate property. Either way, it's still a great deal for the conference both payday wise and optics wise if the TG tweet turns out to be true.

Top Bottom