Big Ten Blog - Minnesota's Key Stretch

The most important stretch for the gophers is MTSU, USD, USC, NIU......if they don't go 3-1 or better in that stretch it will be a loooonng season

I would agree if we were most worried about a great season. I think for us though we're most concerned about a crappy season. Which puts the most crucial stretch the non conference games. We must come out of those 3-1 and very competitive agains USC. That's my opinion. If we're playing well after those games I think we can pull out three more wins to become bowl eligble. As I've already said, this team will be very good by the end of the year. We just need to make sure we are still in the picture by then.

You could pick any 4 games and it would be a key stretch in this schedule. I agree with his reasoning. It will be tough to lose two on the road and then come home to Penn St and Ohio St. Although, I give us a greater chance to beat Penn St than he does.

We need a 3-1 start to the season, anything less is a disappointment and will set the season up for failure. @ UW, @ PU, vs PSU, vs OSU ... well, we'll for sure be underdogs in 3 out of 4 (heavy underdogs in a few cases). Going 2-2 or 1-3 in that stretch would be annoying, but it wouldn't ruin the season. In fact, I'd say it would be expected.

The most important stretch for the gophers is MTSU, USD, USC, NIU......if they don't go 3-1 or better in that stretch it will be a loooonng season

Agree

Even with a good start there are no guarantees of a successful season, without it there is no hope.

I guess I haven't seen much team improvement as the season progresses and would have no reason to assume that is going to change much this year.

To be fair, the first line of the article is:
The Gophers' tricky nonconference slate also could qualify, but this stretch is where things went wrong for Brew's crew in 2009

I'd back it up one game and start with Northwestern. Assuming a 3-1 non conference record, a 2-2 record, would put the Gophers on the cusp of bowl qualification. If they need to win two of their last four, after having lost to either Purdue or Northwestern, they're not likely to be able to do it.

I was thinking the conference away games are the pivotal games for making any kind of bowl run.

Two in October, back to back and two in November (not always our kindest month) also back to back. You pick, but I think we need two wins out of these four games.

I guess maybe I'm tired of waiting...

RAH!

Agree

Even with a good start there are no guarantees of a successful season, without it there is no hope.

I guess I haven't seen much team improvement as the season progresses and would have no reason to assume that is going to change much this year.

I would agree with this post. I know Schnoodler thinks that we will be good by the end of the season, but I'm skeptical. Our pattern has to become less competitive as the season progresses. This is probably because of tougher games at the end of the season and because our depth is poor. A couple of injuries and we go backwards in a hurry. To get better late in the season we would probably have to stay healthy, and then the O-line gels, and a running back emerges who adds a dimension that we have not had in the Brewster era. Defensively our line would have to be/remain dominant (hopefully), and I think that a young playmaker would need to develop at linebacker or d-back. Damn, thats quite a few "hopes," but I hope that it happens.

Top Bottom