Big Ten Basketball: 5 potential hidden gem offseason transfers for 2023-24 (Elijah Hawkins and Mike Mitchell Jr. – Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Singleton:

Elijah Hawkins and Mike Mitchell Jr. – Minnesota​

It’s not often a team picks up two starting point guards in the transfer portal, but the Gophers did just that. Mike Mitchell Jr., a transfer from Pepperdine, averaged 11.4 points per game and five assists last season. Elijah Hawkins, the smaller guard at 5’11 and only 156 pounds averaged 12 points and six assists per game last season. The presumed starter will more than likely be Mike Mitchell because of his size at 6’2″. There’s a good chance Hawkins will be in the running for the Big Ten’s sixth man of the year.

Go Gophers!!

I'd be shocked if Hawkins doesn't start as the predominant #1 and Mitchell starts at the #2.

Last edited:

I'd be shocked if Hawkins doesn't start as the predominant #1 and Mitchell starts at the #2.
IDK, we desperately need someone competent off the bench that handle the ball. It has been a major issue going back to Pitino. He can still get 20-25 minutes a game off the bench easy and be likely more impactful that way. I Want to avoid anyone except maybe Garcia getting more than 30 minutes a game.

Add AJ Plitzuweit with last remaining scholarship!
IDK, we desperately need someone competent off the bench that handle the ball. It has been a major issue going back to Pitino. He can still get 20-25 minutes a game off the bench easy and be likely more impactful that way. I Want to avoid anyone except maybe Garcia getting more than 30 minutes a game.Plitzuweit

Expect to see a lot of 2 “point guards” on the floor together this year. There are few teams with this luxury.

IDK, we desperately need someone competent off the bench that handle the ball. It has been a major issue going back to Pitino. He can still get 20-25 minutes a game off the bench easy and be likely more impactful that way. I Want to avoid anyone except maybe Garcia getting more than 30 minutes a game.
I agree with your assessment, but unless Carrington takes a massive step (fingers crossed) or Christie surprises, I expect Hawkins and Mitchell to play a ton of minutes together. It'll be a great sign if Hawkins isn't starting come November!

I agree with your assessment, but unless Carrington takes a massive step (fingers crossed) or Christie surprises, I expect Hawkins and Mitchell to play a ton of minutes together. It'll be a great sign if Hawkins isn't starting come November!
Yep, hoping for the former instead of the latter. If Carrington/Christie are not big time contributors then we may be in trouble.

I don't think that matters a whole lot. They could both start and you can still make sure at least one is always on the floor.

But I think Carrington will probably start with Mitchell in the end with Hawkins coming off the bench.

Carrington will be healthy. That was his limiting factor. Christie should get time at 3 positions. We will see which combinations of players click early on. Ihnen is the wild card on the team. He could show up just about anywhere. This has to be about defense to win.

Top Bottom