Big Ten arena rankings (#4. Williams Arena, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Andrew:

#4. Minnesota, Williams Arena

“The Barn” of Minneapolis resembles one in every fashion.

With an arched roof designed as an airplane hangar, the Golden Gophers’ home is one of the hidden gems in college basketball.

Though neither the men’s or women’s programs draw fantastic crowds, this building alone puts it among the Big Ten’s best.

Go Gophers!!

For just basketball...when there is a full barn and a competitive game, you can't beat Williams Arena.
Amenities, comfort, bathrooms, concessions etc we are probably fighting for 14th.

I have been to several of these. I did not like Indiana's arena at all. And I had good seats. And we beat Bobby Knight. The atmosphere was not close to Williams Arena, for me. Indiana is like a big high school gym.

I think we draw pretty fantastic crowds when we are good and playing a good opponent.

Repaint the floor to the old design and redesign the building around it!

Call it the Barn floor!

When it packed it is a incredible place. One of my favorites.

For me two thirds full just kills the place. Also, not being from here the history of such alarming lack of success is a bad mark. Love my seats and the old feel but can not stand NIT banners.

Note on the Kohl Center. It does feel like a cement slab inside without a personality but it was really well researched about what the new generation of kids liked, it was paid for and those facilities, including the Nicholas center being attached appealed to players, coaches and alumni. It was not going to happen if they could not secure the right coach. I remember when Alando Tucker was on his official and when he saw that final 4 banner, incredible locker rooms he loved it. Same for Devin Harris and many others. They draw huge crowds. The fans have become a bit spoiled and are not as loud as when they were building up to their success. Williams does it for me but wish we could win. Breslin, as you said is made by the incredible fans.

Top Bottom