Big Ten and 9 games.

All this schedule talk will be moot when the NCAA goes to 13 games.

And becomes even more hypocritical.

One extra game at the end of the season for 2 teams cannot be done, but an extra game for all 120 teams is peachy keen.

What a joke.

The only reason you would ever schedule 2 FCS games would be in seasons where you would otherwise be stuck with only 6 home games due to scheduling purposes. (And 90% of schools would just bite the bullet and play 6 road games as opposed to playing 2 FCS schools and having 7 home games......an instance like this would occur less than 25% of seasons.)

I could see playing two FCS teams if you have to scramble to fill a late opening. In 2001, we had to add a new game in the middle of the season, because the Baylor game was cancelled and couldn't be rescheduled. We hadn't had a I-AA game that season, but if we had, we might have been forced to play a second I-AA game.

How about this hypothetical: last minute cancellation, and you can't even get a I-AA opponent. Do you play a D-II team even though it won't count for bowl elligibility, or just not play that game at all. It's unlikely that you couldn't find some team looking for a paycheck, of course.

A game vs a DII team wouldn't count for either school, so I am not sure it would be a legal activity per NCAA rules.

For the most part, we do not schedule football games to please the fans, we schedule football games to pay the bills.

A game vs a DII team wouldn't count for either school, so I am not sure it would be a legal activity per NCAA rules.

I think it would be perfectly legal to play a D-II team, it just wouldn't count for bowl elligibility. I know of no rule forbidding it. It would count as a win, you just couldn't count it for bowl elligibility. It would count for the D-II team though. D-II teams do play I-AA teams, the only reason they don't play I-A teams is that there is little or no incentive for the I-A team to schedule such games.

I don't think many people would show up for a Minnesota - Bemidji football game.

I think it would be perfectly legal to play a D-II team, it just wouldn't count for bowl elligibility. I know of no rule forbidding it. It would count as a win, you just couldn't count it for bowl elligibility. It would count for the D-II team though. D-II teams do play I-AA teams, the only reason they don't play I-A teams is that there is little or no incentive for the I-A team to schedule such games.

I don't think many people would show up for a Minnesota - Bemidji football game.

I do not think the NCAA allows you to play up or down 2 divisions. I could be mistaken.

I do not think the NCAA allows you to play up or down 2 divisions. I could be mistaken.

But it's not two divisions. It's one division, FCS and FBS are subdivisions of the same division. It's not uncommon for D-I baseball teams to play D-III baseball teams, so unless such a restriction is only for football, I don't know that it exists. It's just that no I-A team would be interested.

We have actually played a D-II team. We played North Dakota in 1974. D-II went into effect in 1973.

Top Bottom