Big Ten All-Transfer Portal Team for 2023 (Sean Tyler, Corey Crooms, Elijah Spencer, Jack Henderson)

Interesting that, per this analysis (which is pretty thorough), no B1G East team except Indiana is expected to have a transfer QB claim a starting position. On the other hand, in the B1G West, every single team EXCEPT FOR THE GOPHERS has a 2023 transfer QB who has a high likelihood of claiming the starting position. Speaks to the difficulty of recruiting, developing and keeping a starting QB for non-helmet schools. Also speaks to the quickly emerging trend in the B1G West to move away from ground-and-pound offenses to more balanced (hopefully more explosive) offenses. Gophers don't have a transfer QB, but I think that with AK we will be part of the movement toward a more balanced offenses.

It seems like they might have put every scholarship transfer in the "others to watch" category that Athlon didn't put on their All Portal team. I think the Gophers will likely need one of the transfer CB's in the "others to watch" to end up on the post season All Portal team if we're going to have the success we all hope to have. That would be Tyler Bride from Georgia Southern or Tre'von Jones from Elon.

With regard to Tyler, I am a little cautious on that front. Watching some of his games, while it is clear he has high-level home run capability that Mo lacked, he has a flaw that most such RBs possess: he loses a ton of yards seeking the home run. Meaning your drive goes off schedule. Meaning you are put in obvious passing situations. Meaning it is easier to defend.

Mo may not have had breakaway speed, but no one could keep a drive on schedule like Mo. I'm worried about our ability to adapt to an offense predicated more around explosion, and our ability to adapt to the full spectrum of cause-and-effect, and what that means for philosophy, packages, play calling, pace, etc.

Just one guy's thoughts. Feel free to disagree. I'm sure some or maybe many will!

And I hope I'm wrong.

With regard to Tyler, I am a little cautious on that front. Watching some of his games, while it is clear he has high-level home run capability that Mo lacked, he has a flaw that most such RBs possess: he loses a ton of yards seeking the home run. Meaning your drive goes off schedule. Meaning you are put in obvious passing situations. Meaning it is easier to defend.

Mo may not have had breakaway speed, but no one could keep a drive on schedule like Mo. I'm worried about our ability to adapt to an offense predicated more around explosion, and our ability to adapt to the full spectrum of cause-and-effect, and what that means for philosophy, packages, play calling, pace, etc.

Just one guy's thoughts. Feel free to disagree. I'm sure some or maybe many will!

And I hope I'm wrong.
I really think Tyler will be 3rd or 4th in carries at the end of the year.

And I hope I'm wrong.
Mo was an all-timer, but we even did ok with Ky Thomas and he's not good.

Mo was an all-timer, but we even did ok with Ky Thomas and he's not good.
Not commenting on whether Tyler is "good" or not.

I am referring to things like this. He's sent on a sweep, and the DE has the end sealed. Now he could cut up, and get 2 yards and then maybe another 2 yards after contact. Or he could take and evasive move, looping 5 yards deep into the backfield to get around the DE -- because that worked in high school, and because it occasionally works and he hits some home runs. But he just ends up losing 5 yards. That's not being good or bad... It's just a system of decision making.

Ky mainly ran straight forward with one cut, much like Mo in that regard. So he didn't lose yards, and he mainly kept you somewhat close to on schedule. Tyler has all the bad habits of a successful high school back. (But he has the up-side of a real home run hitter in college, if you can tolerate the self-imposed large losses of yardage.). That's what I'm saying.

Not commenting on whether Tyler is "good" or not.

I am referring to things like this. He's sent on a sweep, and the DE has the end sealed. Now he could cut up, and get 2 yards and then maybe another 2 yards after contact. Or he could take and evasive move, looping 5 yards deep into the backfield to get around the DE -- because that worked in high school, and because it occasionally works and he hits some home runs. But he just ends up losing 5 yards. That's not being good or bad... It's just a system of decision making.

Ky mainly ran straight forward with one cut, much like Mo in that regard. So he didn't lose yards, and he mainly kept you somewhat close to on schedule. Tyler has all the bad habits of a successful high school back. (But he has the up-side of a real home run hitter in college, if you can tolerate the self-imposed large losses of yardage.). That's what I'm saying.
Tyler may be able to be coached into playing into our system. I'm sure the coaches will make it work.

And I hope I'm wrong.
I don’t think Tyler will be close to an every down back. We should see a lot of Zach Evans and some Darius Taylor, both of whom appear to be more power-oriented, hit-the-hole type RBs. Also expect to see Bryce W on 3rd downs, or in selected series, as he can block and take a swing pass. None of these guys can replace Mo, of course. But we have a lot of change of pace possibilities, and should run a more diverse offense w/o Mo as a crutch to lean on. If AK plays as expected, I’m good with all that.

Top Bottom