Big 10 Tour/Minnesota this weekend!!!!

Tailgate2009

Reaction score
My buddy originally posted on this site asking what to do in Minneapolis, but unfortunately is no longer able to attend the game so I'm picking up the slack....

My friends & I are continuing on with our BIG 10 Tour this weekend with our 3rd stop - Minnesota!

If you check out our recap on Penn State
http://www.thebig10tour.com/penn-state.html
you'll see that we're looking for the best tailgate, the best fan, the best tshirt and more!

From what I've read in the blogs/newspapers - the parking at TCF Bank Stadium is tough, especially for fans that don't have season passes - so we're asking, would anyone be willing to let 3 guys spending their savings accounts to see every Big 10 Stadium over 11 straight weekends join their tailgate near the stadium? We'll buy your beer. We'll bring a MN Gopher Bean Bags game, a MN Gopher Ladder Toss game, a MN Gopher pong table, & even our own food. We want to be entrenched in the best Gopher fans - not miles away and having to take a shuttle.

If you could help out - please call me or send an email through the Contact Us portion of our website.

Thanks everyone - looking forward to the upset of the Bears!
Drew Cieszynski
The Big 10 Tour

www.THEbig10tour.com

Yup, I think 3 of the exact same post is plenty enough to get your point across...

My bad - I'm not too savvy when it comes to message boards so I wasn't sure what posted. How do I go back and delete the other two?

If you're looking for the best tailgates, you'll probably want to drift away from the stadium a ways. The lots near the stadium are all higher-dollar donation lots, so the atmosphere is rather subdued. If you want more of a party atmosphere you'll have to look elsewhere. I don't know where those are though, since this is only our second home game. Maybe someone else will have suggestions.

If you're looking for the best tailgates, you'll probably want to drift away from the stadium a ways. The lots near the stadium are all higher-dollar donation lots, so the atmosphere is rather subdued. If you want more of a party atmosphere you'll have to look elsewhere. I don't know where those are though, since this is only our second home game. Maybe someone else will have suggestions.

I would have to disagree since I'm in the Northstar lot. I will say, there was a lot of "nice" vehicles in that lot.

ok, that makes sense - the high donation people will have their grey poupon and lack the fun and energy of most others.

I definitely understand this being the 2nd game that everyone is still feeling things out. Did anyone have a good tailgating experience week 1 that they could suggest where to go?

Otherwise I'll be parking miles away and taking the shuttle (which cuts down on the time to mingle w/ Minnesota fans and tailgate). Then again that could be a common theme as I'm sitting in section 202 which would seem like miles away

I just hope the Gophers pull off the win...that would really make the season for me to see a top 10 team get upset

ok, that makes sense - the high donation people will have their grey poupon and lack the fun and energy of most others.

I definitely understand this being the 2nd game that everyone is still feeling things out. Did anyone have a good tailgating experience week 1 that they could suggest where to go?

Otherwise I'll be parking miles away and taking the shuttle (which cuts down on the time to mingle w/ Minnesota fans and tailgate). Then again that could be a common theme as I'm sitting in section 202 which would seem like miles away

I just hope the Gophers pull off the win...that would really make the season for me to see a top 10 team get upset

not at all true. you will find great people and good tailgating in the donation lots. just because people have some money doesn't mean they don't like to have fun/get a little crazy too.

I'd suggest heading over to The Gopher Daily and read their

fan posts. Try to connect with a guy named Sir Tipsy McStagger. He'll be glad to provide you beer out of his Town Hall Growler.

I had a good time around the stadium. Just park somewhere around the stadium (they'll be random places to park) and stroll a cooler down to the stadium. For some reason they made the lots around the stadium waaaaay too spacious, so what I would recommend is to squat in one of those lots, start your own party, and be close to the stadium. Leave your cooler there during the game, and pick it back up on your way out.

Anyone else considering this after seeing all the room they left to these lots?

Here's what I would suggest if you don't have a specific tailgate to go to...instead of parking miles away and taking the shuttle (nothing against the STP lot folks, but the shuttle ride means you don't get to walk through the main campus) I would check out the West Bank tailgate lots (C86, C88, C89). You can park in the ramp right next to the Holiday Inn Metrodome. From there its like a 2 block walk over the C86, with C88 and C89 just a little farther away (I've attached a map to help you get your bearings). All 3 seemed to have a nice tailgate scene last weekend. Nothing crazy, but respectable. I'm sure if you introduced yourself to random folks and explained why you were there you'd be welcomed.

From there its a little over a mile walk to TCF. You can choose a lot of directions, but you may want to head down Washington Ave. so that you can check out the beer gardens at Sally's and Stub and Herbs.

Just a thought!

Attachments

• WB Lots - Map.jpg
    WB Lots - Map.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7

fan posts. Try to connect with a guy named Sir Tipsy McStagger. He'll be glad to provide you beer out of his Town Hall Growler.

If I'm not mistaken, he is a C89'er. So my previous post about the Holiday Inn would likely be your best bet for parking if you meet up with Tipsy and his crew.

Here's what I would suggest if you don't have a specific tailgate to go to...instead of parking miles away and taking the shuttle (nothing against the STP lot folks, but the shuttle ride means you don't get to walk through the main campus) I would check out the West Bank tailgate lots (C86, C88, C89). You can park in the ramp right next to the Holiday Inn Metrodome. From there its like a 2 block walk over the C86, with C88 and C89 just a little farther away (I've attached a map to help you get your bearings). All 3 seemed to have a nice tailgate scene last weekend. Nothing crazy, but respectable. I'm sure if you introduced yourself to random folks and explained why you were there you'd be welcomed.

From there its a little over a mile walk to TCF. You can choose a lot of directions, but you may want to head down Washington Ave. so that you can check out the beer gardens at Sally's and Stub and Herbs.

Just a thought!

There will be several of us in C89 who will be more then willing to show off our skills on University of Minnesota branded tailgate games as well.....

Tailgate2009 great idea. I wish I had the freedom to do what you are attempting.

I don't tailgate so I can't really help you out. The people here on this board though seem to be pretty good guys, so I have no doubt that as the week progresses you will get more feedback.

First of all, I've been through Minneapolis before - once to catch a Twins game and once to catch a T'Wolves game and I've said it before and I'll say it again - Minnesota has the best people in the country. That's not a lot of fluff either, if you look at my Trophy Room link on our site, you'll note that in several interviews I've noted Minneapolis of my most anticipated stop because the people are so great! So I'm sure someone would allow me to tailgate with them but I can't possibly feel right just inviting myself - so it would take someone offering us the opportunity to join.

Like I said, we'll turn the fun level up a few notches at any tailgate we attend.

I'm having trouble following which posts were legitimate "Hey come tailgate w/ us" opportunities and which were not - so if you could genuinely take us in, please email me at [email protected] or call me at the # on our site.

I like the rolling cooler idea, but like I said, we've purchased $250 worth of Minnesota Tailgating games and as nice as I think Minnesota people are, I'm doubtful that they'd be there when we got back after the game...so we'd also need somewhere to store them during the game

Can I also say that I've stopped by many MN message boards and this one is clearly the best. Hands down

Top Bottom