Big 10 Media Day: Coach Kill Summary

DL65

Reaction score
From my notes:

Coach Kill's opening remarks: Appreciates the opportunity and challenge of coaching in the Big 10. "It's been a long journey since last December."
Coaching staff has been together a long time . . . in the top six in the country in longevity of staffs being together, which is important in turning a program around.
The players, during spring ball, have tried to do what the coaches expect them to do. In turning around a program there are a lot of things you initially can't control, i.e., deph, injuries, etc.

Questions from the media:

1) Recruitment and late signing of Foreman at QB: Looking to create competition at the QB position and all positions. Every team must have at least two quarterbacks. You always worry about injuries and must have a quallity QB ready to jump in.

2) Marqueis Gray at wide receiver: "We'll keep him at QB!" "He'd be scary if he had the reps (at qb)." It's up to the coaching staff how we best utilize his athletic talents at the QB position.

3) Strength and conditioning: Strength coach has been with coach Kill for about 17 years. "We'll know a lot more about the players off-season conditioning come two-a-days." Strength and conditioning training helps your team stay healthy, which is the purpose of strength training. Staying healthy during two-a-days is paramount; a lot of information and work to be done during the fall camp and can't afford to be sidelined by injuries, if they're to make progress and start turning the program around.

4) Success of NIU against Big 10 teams: At a mid-major it's easy to get up one or two times against the big boys, which is a big deal for the mid-major schools. In conference play it's a week in and week out proposition. Can't worry about the other teams, you need to take care of your own. What's great about Big 10 teams is that you can beat the team you're facing and they can beat you . . . competition is a good thing.

5 Eskridge leaving: Always concerned about depth; however, "We feel good at the tailback position."

6) Big 10 Legends and Leaders Divisions and Wisconsin being in the opposite division but on the yearly schedule: You don't control those things (conference play), "You play who you're supposed to play." Coaches have some control in the out-of-conference scheduling.

7) BCS play: Pretty much the same at previous stops . . . certain things you want to do better . . . fix the problems. "I have a vision where and what to do."

8) Recruiting (type of athlete big, speed?) "What fits the state of Minnesota." Academics to athletics . . . getting players that want to be at Minnesota. Wants to increase APR, just as he did at NIU. Then talked about his friend Gary Patterson at TCU. They have similar coaching philosophy having come from the same coaching tree - Dennis Franchione.

9) Defensive improvement: Can't speak to the past only the present, "We need to get the right players in the right places." Players understanding the schemes is key, "Take what you have and give them a chance to win." "You can't win without a defense." Coaches a team philosophy and players need to have buy-in.

10) Another first-year coach in the conference said he doesn't want to look at last year's film. Coach Kill's response to question: We saw a lot of previous Minnesota film in preparation for last year's game. Since his arrival, however, he's gone over film back to the 1960s and has talked to previous coaches at Minnesota including Mason, Brewster, Holtz.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL65, interesting comments, especially #2 about "Q".

I found his answer to #10 interesting. Why would he want to look at the great Gopher teams of the 60's? What exactly would he be looking for? It really is cool but I have never heard a coach going back 40 to 50 years and seeing film. This is for the young students. We actually used a film projector to watch movies. ;)

I found his answer to #10 interesting. Why would he want to look at the great Gopher teams of the 60's? What exactly would he be looking for? It really is cool but I have never heard a coach going back 40 to 50 years and seeing film. This is for the young students. We actually used a film projector to watch movies. ;)

That was quoted incorrectly....Kill said he was familiar with current team from watching film last year in prep for the game and with spring drills. As far as looking backwards...he has gone back and spoken with all the former coaches including brew, mase, holtz, etc. To turn around our program, he has to turn around the entire state and culture...so looking to what worked and didn't in the past is a great way to find what will help turn it around...not just players, but attitude, support of fans and biz community and the U.

Coach Kill talks a lot about the importance of tradition, the "Minnesota Way," treasured past, etc. Since he was probably in pre-school in Kansas when Minnesota was considered a player in the Conference, Gopher football was of no interest to him at that time; therefore, I suspect he wants to become acquainted with those bygone years. Not unlike students being required to take history courses and becoming versed in one's heritage. If you're going to talk about the past and the players and teams that were successful, it would be helpful to speak with some knowledge and authority. Additionally, the fundamentals of the game don't change, and frequently what is thought to be new may vary very little from what has gone before but has a new name (cycles and recycled football). How many coaches are true innovators? Also, if you're going to study winning football, regardless of when it was played, I'm sure you'll find or gain information that is beneficial in one's coaching development (open to ideas, philosophy and coaching methods).

I recall coach Mason talking about the successful teams of Minnesota and watching film of the 1960 National Champs. I suspect other previous coaches did as well.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe he was looking back at old film to get ideas for new kick-@ss uniforms! wink, wink :clap:

It should not be overlooked that Coach Kill several times mentioned those things he has no control over, the schedule and the other teams. What he can control is how his team plays. This is classic. If we execute defensive scheme and game plan. Are able to make mid game corrections the game is just a measure of how welll we are playing. He went on to say they probably cannot install all the variations because it might put a player in a position where he would not be able to make the play. This is refreshingly simple. And it may be in part what has been the problem.

It should not be overlooked that Coach Kill several times mentioned those things he has no control over, the schedule and the other teams. What he can control is how his team plays. This is classic. If we execute defensive scheme and game plan. Are able to make mid game corrections the game is just a measure of how welll we are playing. He went on to say they probably cannot install all the variations because it might put a player in a position where he would not be able to make the play. This is refreshingly simple. And it may be in part what has been the problem.

He's probably read John Wooden's book. He had the same philosophy, execute our stuff.

Top Bottom