Bielema wants to pound the rock

swingman

Reaction score
lands fullback transfer from MSU, which has moved away from fullback under former Gopher coach Jay Johnson...Badgers, Hawkeyes interested in him...Illinois native...former Gopher coach Bart Miller on the recruiting trail:

Illinois has received a commitment from Michigan State transfer tight end/fullback Max Rosenthal, he told Illini Inquirer. Rosenthal was initially a walk-on at Michigan State but earned a scholarship offer after his redshirt freshman season and was on scholarship the last two seasons.

Rosenthal, who played 21 games at MSU mostly as a blocking fullback, told Illini Inquirer he earned transfer interest from other Big Ten schools, including Iowa and Wisconsin, as well as California and some FCS programs.

I'm guessing he kept his running game playbook during his day as HC at Wisky. Add in a few OL transfers and with even an average RB and QB and he can turn it around at Illini.

Bielama recruited Wisconsin well during his tenure but didn't seem to do all that well with Illini kids. It will be interesting to see if he can make inroads with the Illini kids and compete with Chryst with the best of WI.

lands fullback transfer from MSU, which has moved away from fullback under former Gopher coach Jay Johnson...Badgers, Hawkeyes interested in him...Illinois native...former Gopher coach Bart Miller on the recruiting trail:

Illinois has received a commitment from Michigan State transfer tight end/fullback Max Rosenthal, he told Illini Inquirer. Rosenthal was initially a walk-on at Michigan State but earned a scholarship offer after his redshirt freshman season and was on scholarship the last two seasons.

Rosenthal, who played 21 games at MSU mostly as a blocking fullback, told Illini Inquirer he earned transfer interest from other Big Ten schools, including Iowa and Wisconsin, as well as California and some FCS programs.

Glad to hear Bart is back in the P5

If this were true, then I don't understand why he hired App State's OC. The offense they ran this past season is nothing at all like what Wisc has run, under Bielema or Chryst.

It was much more of the typical thing you see in high school and college ball these days: most plays out of shotgun, formations with more than 2 WR and no fullbacks, and varying levels of QB designed runs/read options.

If this were true, then I don't understand why he hired App State's OC. The offense they ran this past season is nothing at all like what Wisc has run, under Bielema or Chryst.

It was much more of the typical thing you see in high school and college ball these days: most plays out of shotgun, formations with more than 2 WR and no fullbacks, and varying levels of QB designed runs/read options.
Tony Peterson was our Co-OC under Mason. If I recall correctly Mason had one guy design the game plan and another call the game. I don't recall which role Peterson did, but either way he has experience with a power running scheme.

Tony Peterson was our Co-OC under Mason. If I recall correctly Mason had one guy design the game plan and another call the game. I don't recall which role Peterson did, but either way he has experience with a power running scheme.
Fair enough. He has coached at a lot of places, and probably seen it and done it all.

New Illinois football coach Bret Bielema announced his first hire on Monday night, naming Tony Petersen his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Petersen spent this season in the same role at Appalachian State, leading the Mountaineers to a 9-3 record. The offense averaged 452 yards in total offense (26th nationally), including 264.9 rushing yards (7th nationally) on the season.

“After competing against Tony and his offensive style and game plan I have had tremendous respect for him as a coach,” Bielema said in a statement. “Throughout his career he has blended the roster and skill sets of the players to maximize the results. Here at Illinois, we will build an offensive identity that will provide balance, use tempo, and play with a physicality that will make Illini Nation smile. No matter from playing on the road in a hostile environment or here at Memorial Stadium, we will execute and maximize our players’ talents to build a sustained winning culture.”

Petersen is no stranger to the Big Ten. The 54-year old was the offensive coordinator and QB’s coach at Minnesota from 2000-2006. The Golden Gophers had three straight seasons from 2003-05 where they averaged more than 250 rushing yards per game, along with a record breaking performance from quarterback Bryan Cupito, who set the school’s all-time passing mark under Petersen’s guidance. Minnesota ranked third nationally in 2003, setting a school record by averaging 289.2 yards per game.

I believe Mitch Browning was the run game coordinator/OL coach and Tony Peterson was the pass game coordinator/QB coach. Peterson called the plays.

I believe Mitch Browning was the run game coordinator/OL coach and Tony Peterson was the pass game coordinator/QB coach. Peterson called the plays.
I thought Gordy Shaw was the OL coach back during those Eslinger/Setterstrom days?

I thought Gordy Shaw was the OL coach back during those Eslinger/Setterstrom days?

It was various throughout. Browning coached TEs at one point, OL at one point, etc. Shaw coached both D Line and O Line during his time here. I think Mason at one point had Browning coaching TEs/OTs and Shaw was coaching interior linemen. Steve Loney was OC and OL coach for a time in there, too.

One thing about Mason's staff, guys came and went, duties shifted, etc.

I'm guessing he kept his running game playbook during his day as HC at Wisky. Add in a few OL transfers and with even an average RB and QB and he can turn it around at Illini.

Bielama recruited Wisconsin well during his tenure but didn't seem to do all that well with Illini kids. It will be interesting to see if he can make inroads with the Illini kids and compete with Chryst with the best of WI.
Brett Bielema grew up in Prophetstown Illinois...farm boy...hog farm....NW part of the state. My parents were good friends with his folks. I'd say that Bielema has an Illinois connection. Whether or not he can relate that to recruits in Illinois...who knows? Or even Eastern Iowa/Quad Cities Area.

I hate when Bielema is misquoted. He said he wants to "pound the sausage"...

BielemaFood.png

Bielema and Bart Miller offered Heyer, the good 2022 olineman from Hill Murray, today.

Top Bottom