Better than last week, we played as well as we could

Sparlimb

Reaction score
One team was big, fast and talented. The other was Minnesota. I have zero interest in watching next week's game where we wikk be a dog to a MAC team at home.

Taking my parent's to Northwestern, and I do plan on seeing Ohio St and Penn St as I want to see a good team. No interest in watching the Gophs get shutout for the third straight year against Iowa though.

We are a below average team with a way below average coach. I don't think I have much interest in supporting this team monetarily next year, for sure not if Punky is still around...

There were some kids who played hard today. Enough that a good coach could turn them into something halfway decent. I will say, USC looked extremely disinterested. I doubt they'll do much better than 5-4 in the Pac 10...

One team was big, fast and talented. The other was Minnesota. I have zero interest in watching next week's game where we wikk be a dog to a MAC team at home.

Taking my parent's to Northwestern, and I do plan on seeing Ohio St and Penn St as I want to see a good team. No interest in watching the Gophs get shutout for the third straight year against Iowa though.

We are a below average team with a way below average coach. I don't think I have much interest in supporting this team monetarily next year, for sure not if Punky is still around...

There were some kids who played hard today. Enough that a good coach could turn them into something halfway decent. I will say, USC looked extremely disinterested. I doubt they'll do much better than 5-4 in the Pac 10...

Good riddance. We don't need fans like you.

Have fun watching OSU beat PSU by 30.

Good riddance. We don't need fans like you.

Have fun watching OSU beat PSU by 30.

But every school needs fans like you. Without standout fans like you, this University might as well close up shop and shut down. How could they possibly survive without your energy, enthusiasm and ability to accept every new low they hit? I, and I think I speak for many of us here, am certainly jealous of your ability as a fan and they way you can gut out so many losses. Someday I hope to grow up and be as strong as you and find such pleasure in watching my favorite teams lose. One of these days, I too can learn that being there is enough. The fact my favorite university sells me a season ticket should be seen by anyone as a privilige. I'm not that old yet, I still can grow and be more like you...

What I sure appreciate with the kool-aid drinkers is that many of us debate the calls, players, coaches, state of the program etc. And some of the kool-aid drinkers do as well, which is a good debate and welcome. But many of them fall to petty bickering and attacking the character of fans who don't share their opinion. It really is beneath any of us to attack each other. My opinion is just as important as anyone else's whether you like it or not. And to the university, it may be more important as I am a season ticket holder and others are not. Anyway, keep defending your position with personal attacks; it doesn't bother me in the least.

Weber touchdown pass to McKnight

Having watched college football for almost 50 years, that play is in my Top 10. Here's why:

1) Good rush by USC
2) Decent protection by our OL
3) Perfect throw by Weber
4) Good pass coverage by USC guy
5) Beautiful move to the ball by McKnight.

That play was why I watch football. Excellent play on both sides of the ball.

It does not change my view of Brewster, but for about 30 seconds, I thought anything was possible. Needless to say, the ensuing kick-off soured my mood.

Having watched college football for almost 50 years, that play is in my Top 10. Here's why:

1) Good rush by USC

It does not change my view of Brewster, but for about 30 seconds, I thought anything was possible. Needless to say, the ensuing kick-off soured my mood.

Easily the best pass by Weber all year. He got rid of the ball with the blitz coming to a guy with single coverage and put it where it was unlikely to be intercepted. I wish he'd do that more often...

Having watched college football for almost 50 years, that play is in my Top 10.

While I agree it was a nice play, the confusion in USC's secondary played a key role in the resulting touchdown. I didn't notice it in person, but the Trojans were unsure of who should be covering McKnight.

What I sure appreciate with the kool-aid drinkers is that many of us debate the calls, players, coaches, state of the program etc. And some of the kool-aid drinkers do as well, which is a good debate and welcome. But many of them fall to petty bickering and attacking the character of fans who don't share their opinion. It really is beneath any of us to attack each other. My opinion is just as important as anyone else's whether you like it or not. And to the university, it may be more important as I am a season ticket holder and others are not. Anyway, keep defending your position with personal attacks; it doesn't bother me in the least.

So it's just the "kool-aid drinkers" that do that? Have you not read posts by thailleagle and some others like him? When things are going badly like they are now, you're going to have people with different opinions, which often leads to bickering and attacking of others.

Also, just curious, what makes someone a "kool-aid drinker"?

So it's just the "kool-aid drinkers" that do that? Have you not read posts by thailleagle and some others like him? When things are going badly like they are now, you're going to have people with different opinions, which often leads to bickering and attacking of others.

Also, just curious, what makes someone a "kool-aid drinker"?

Okay I'll take back the kool-aid drinker as it is name calling as well. I'll re-name that group "firmly behind Brewster". Obviously there aren't two distinct groups either. I can't speak for others, but I will do my best to refrain from calling anyone names or minimizing their opinion. As I said, it is as important as mine...

Okay I'll take back the kool-aid drinker as it is name calling as well. I'll re-name that group "firmly behind Brewster". Obviously there aren't two distinct groups either. I can't speak for others, but I will do my best to refrain from calling anyone names or minimizing their opinion. As I said, it is as important as mine...

I'm not "firmly behind Brewster," I'm "firmly behind my school." If we go 0-12 from now until eternity, I will still watch every game I can, and will still support MY school through thick and thin. Call that whatever you will, but I call it being loyal. You and your ilk are too concerned with who's standing on the sidelines. I would like to have the best coaches possible, sure, but my support isn't based on the man wearing the headset. My support is given to the uniform and the player in it. Always and forever.

And you are absolutely dead wrong with your last sentence. When it comes to Gopher football, I couldn't care less what your opinion is. You are not a true fan. Anyone who is perfectly willing and able to go to a Gopher game, but would rather go watch other schools play, is not a true fan. If there are extenuating circumstances, then it is not applicable, but from the tone of your post, all things are equal, and you are choosing another school over the Gophers. That is not a true fan. You are a bandwagon jumper, and like I said, we don't need your kind.

I'm not "firmly behind Brewster," I'm "firmly behind my school." If we go 0-12 from now until eternity, I will still watch every game I can, and will still support MY school through thick and thin. Call that whatever you will, but I call it being loyal. You and your ilk are too concerned with who's standing on the sidelines. I would like to have the best coaches possible, sure, but my support isn't based on the man wearing the headset. My support is given to the uniform and the player in it. Always and forever.

And you are absolutely dead wrong with your last sentence. When it comes to Gopher football, I couldn't care less what your opinion is. You are not a true fan. Anyone who is perfectly willing and able to go to a Gopher game, but would rather go watch other schools play, is not a true fan. If there are extenuating circumstances, then it is not applicable, but from the tone of your post, all things are equal, and you are choosing another school over the Gophers. That is not a true fan. You are a bandwagon jumper, and like I said, we don't need your kind.

There you go again. Kind of funny. I actually agree with your first paragraph. I too, watch all the games. And I too, support my university. What I don't care to do, is financially support mediocrity. If the university can't do better in football, I'll spend my money on other sports. I too would like to have the best coaches. But you're inference that you know me or what kind of a fan I am is laughable. I'm some hack on a messageboard, just like you. But as I said, continue on feeling you are superior, I find it humorous.

What I don't care to do, is financially support mediocrity. If the university can't do better in football, I'll spend my money on other sports.

What part of this are you not getting?

Go ahead.

WE. DON'T. NEED. YOU.

Sort of like the old adage about putting a chimp in front of a typewriter. Every now and then he'll bang out a Shakespearean sonnet. With Weber, I'd be happy if he could consistently produce football plays that would be the equivalent of limericks where the first line ends in "Nantucket".

I guess my point was that there are just as many fans who don't like Brewster and aren't behind him that are doing the name calling and such. You singled out only those who are "firmly behind Brewster". People are frustrated, no matter if they like or dislike Brewster.

More on Weber

Sort of like the old adage about putting a chimp in front of a typewriter. Every now and then he'll bang out a Shakespearean sonnet. With Weber, I'd be happy if he could consistently produce football plays that would be the equivalent of limericks where the first line ends in "Nantucket".

Wow, you guys are brutal!

One thing I liked was the fact that he did try run a few times. He did this a lot more in his Freshman/Sophmore years with varying degrees of success.

The Weber to Decker connection was good for the team at the time, but I don't think it helped Weber as a pure quarterback. Brewster's insistence on staying with Weber no matter what could be Brewster's undoing.

People like me are realistic...some of you, geez, it's like you've never seen another team play football in your life outside the Gophers...

So many people fell for Brew's hype forgetting that "Hello? We're not the only team that's getting better in the Big Ten!" & now we're in year 4 with a QB still making Freshman mistakes & getting lit up by FCS Schools...

And some of you can't understand why, smh...

:cry:

1) Good rush by USC

Best throw of Weber's career. Nothing else comes close.

But you're inference that you know me or what kind of a fan I am is laughable.

Actually, you have stated very clearly (and repeatedly) in this thread what kind of fan you are. No one here is making any assumptions or inferences to that point.

BRAVO! Agree with this post 100%. Nobody forces me to renew my season tickets and financially support the team. But I love my team, and I hate wisconsin! Go Gophers!

Wow, you guys are brutal!

One thing I liked was the fact that he did try run a few times. He did this a lot more in his Freshman/Sophmore years with varying degrees of success.

The Weber to Decker connection was good for the team at the time, but I don't think it helped Weber as a pure quarterback. Brewster's insistence on staying with Weber no matter what WILL be Brewster's undoing.

major correction above

Best throw of Weber's career. Nothing else comes close.

It's like he had another good throw somewhere or something. No, not really - he's been absolutely worthless since Decker went down in his second year.

Brewster keeps trying to polish that turd for some unbelievable reason. Shows that he really doesn't know how to coach, or possibly that he simply doesn't want to coach. One or the other. But the Gophers are a total embarrassment. I will continue to watch them almost every Saturday, but they are extremely painful to watch and I find myself walking around doing housework because I have to turn away in pain all the time. Brewster just doesn't get it. Big fans like myself, who often plan their weekends around being able to watch the team, who travel to some away games (can't make home games) and head to some bowl games, are having to turn their heads away in pain and embarrassment. Think about that for a second. The team is not exciting in the least. They don't play with passion. They have no leader, no QB, no confidence, no trust in their coach or their QB. I used to sadly predict a 4-win season, now I don't believe they'll even make that pathetic mark. New blood is badly needed. Brewster tried. Kind of. He failed miserably in too many ways. Nothing can save him now, save a huge run in the Big Ten season. Since the likelihood of that is little to nil, and he keeps playing a loser's game, keeping on doing what fails, he's going to lose good fans like Sparlimb, others will turn away in disgust, and casual fans will be non-existent. It's a sham and a pathetic shame. /end rant.

I'm not "firmly behind Brewster," I'm "firmly behind my school." If we go 0-12 from now until eternity, I will still watch every game I can, and will still support MY school through thick and thin. Call that whatever you will, but I call it being loyal.

I explained this to someone in the tailgate lot at about 9am on Saturday. I believe this is what separates true fans from casual ones.

True fans of the gophers, honestly, have to be some of the best fans in the country. To see what we have seen, lived through what we have lived through, and still show up every saturday with the same excitement for college football, its amazing. Sure, its easy to be a fan of consistent winner of the last ten years like Iowa or Wisconsin, you know there is going to some pay off for your efforts as a fan. Us true gopher fans have to go into most seasons being uncertain of any successes, but still offer the same enthusiasm.

Top Bottom