Ben Johnson Reasonable Expectations

Did the team not get better or did they just play tougher teams in conference than in preseason so their improvement was masked? Or did they get hit by the injury bug mid season or did the lack of bench catch up to them? There are many possible explanations for the perceived lack of improvement over the season.

I think we all need to throw last year out the window at this point as it is a sample size of 1 and in a really weird year. There is little sense in analyzing this year as the team was thrown together hurriedly from the portal of mostly student athletes in their final year of eligibility who were not heavily recruited.

Let's give a few months to see what the composition of the team is in the 22-23 season and then we can see if 21-22 was an anomaly or a pattern.
I can agree with everything you said here, and still have concerns about what we saw over the course of a five month season in terms of how players came in, learned a new system, progressed in that system, and improved over the course of a long five month season.

Don't have to win every argument. It's not that bad of a thing to admit that there are reasons for concern. We can disagree to the extent of how concerned each of us might be, but in terms of the players improving, there is reason for some concern, because regardless of roster construction, player improvement is coaching, 100% plain and simple

I can agree with everything you said here, and still have concerns about what we saw over the course of a five month season in terms of how players came in, learned a new system, progressed in that system, and improved over the course of a long five month season.

Don't have to win every argument. It's not that bad of a thing to admit that there are reasons for concern. We can disagree to the extent of how concerned each of us might be, but in terms of the players improving, there is reason for some concern, because regardless of roster construction, player improvement is coaching, 100% plain and simple
Can I ask what concerned you about our players improvement? I really felt like non regressed. B1G play was harder and you saw our obvious flaws then. Fixing those flaws concern me and I’m interested to see what we add in the portal. As far as player development, I saw Willis and Battle take big steps forward. Loewe and Stephens find their bearings and get better. Suetherlin also come into a role. Curry is tough to gauge cause he’s always hurt prior to this season. I guess I didn’t expect much from Thompson this year, but I can see concern from others there?

My impression of "culture" as coaches use it today is that it is another way of saying "system."

Culture is - as I see it -more about how we do things. It's about the approach. We practice a certain way, we play a certain way. it's about the identity of the team.

I think a lot of people hear "culture" and they think of the interpersonal aspect - more of the 'touchy-feely' things.

and yes, I am sure that some programs emphasize that more than others. But virtually every program talks about recruiting good people and building relationships. It's not like program A is "we all love each other" and program X is "I don't give a bleep about you as a person, just go out and play the bleepin' game."

so yes, from that perspective, Ben Johnson is trying to build a culture at MN.

and none of it will mean a f***ing thing if he can't bring in better players and win more games.
and believe me, Ben Johnson understands that. he's not some clueless babe in the woods the way some people on here want to portray him.

Thanks for the clarification. To be clear, I am not out to win an argument. In fact, I try to not respond in an argumentative way so apologize if I have missed the mark. I am merely trying to point out some alternate perspectives. I do, however, hang my hat on my belief that this first season with Johnson at the helm does not give us any indication of a pattern... especially the weird factors surrounding this one season.

What kind of culture do you think they have at UConn girls bb? Watch an ESPN tape of one of their practices. Every 3 or 4 word has to be bleeped out. Is that a winning culture or are they winning in spite of the culture? Maybe, just maybe it really is the players.

It seems you are quite negative, as your posts are filled with negativity toward others.

Perhaps you need to read and reread what ms Scalia said. Spoke volumes about the subject at hand.
Actually, Miss Scalia said nothing. Her father was quoted.

What kind of culture do you think they have at UConn girls bb? Watch an ESPN tape of one of their practices. Every 3 or 4 word has to be bleeped out. Is that a winning culture or are they winning in spite of the culture? Maybe, just maybe it really is the players.
Do you really think Geno doesn’t have a high standard or culture in the UConn program because they swear in practice? Read “Getting to Us” and see if he just gets players…. Instead of looking at the program being good because the players are there, look first at why they chose to go there.

Culture is something the coaching staff provides. The players are not “the” culture.

People often get that confused.

Its the coaching staffs jobs to get the players to buy in. Thats it.
Culture yields long term stability over a short term flash in the pan. We would all do backflips if Ben had the success of a Boeheim at Syracuse or a Gard at WI! Culture allows a team to weather the storm more effectively. Theoretically the highs will be a little higher and the lows will be a lot higher.

Culture is something the coaching staff provides. The players are not “the” culture.

People often get that confused.

Its the coaching staffs jobs to get the players to buy in. Thats it.
Sums it up short and sweet.

Totally agree that with the portal the possibility of a quicker turnaround is possible but I am always hesitant to put ultimatums on anything coaching related because there are so many x factors that come into it.

And the only way you pull the plug on a coach after just 3 years is if things are a disaster on and off the court and the program is clearly floundering under that coach.
This sounds like it is all laid out neatly in a PowerPoint presentation. We will accomplish this bullet point on such and such a date. The devil in the details does not matter. It is all cut and dry.

Has Ben had a history of coaching for teams with winning cultures?

Has Ben had a history of coaching for teams with winning cultures?
Dayton: historically solid in the A-10; not the year Ben was there

Texas - Pan Am:???

UNI: historically solid in the MVC; 30-win season Ben's 2nd year there

Nebraska: yuck. Ben was an assistant Tim Miles' first year, who is a well-respected coach among his peers (from what I hear)

Minnesota: judge for yourself

Xavier: historically solid; took a small hit regarding wins and losses when Miller left

I don't know most of these teams well enough to comment on their cultures. I'd say the program with the least history of success would be Nebraska, where he only spent one year.

Edit: Xavier was really good in the A-10 before they moved to the Big East. They made the move 5 years before Johnson arrived.

Last edited:

Dayton: historically solid in the A-10; not the year Ben was there

Texas - Pan Am:???

UNI: historically solid in the MVC; 30-win season Ben's 2nd year there

Nebraska: yuck. Ben was an assistant Tim Miles' first year, who is a well-respected coach among his peers (from what I hear)

Minnesota: judge for yourself

Xavier: historically solid; took a small hit regarding wins and losses when Miller left

I don't know most of these teams well enough to comment on their cultures. I'd say the program with the least history of success would be Nebraska, where he only spent one year.
This is a solid response. Thanks!

Top Bottom