Ben Johnson: “We lost our edge. Even though we were up the energy, the vibe wasn’t what it needed to be. We got low into their pace.”

Ben has to do a better job of not letting the team get complacent with leads.

If he gets credit for 2nd half comebacks, he also has to wear the collapses. Garcia or not, took the foot off the gas on offense while Iowa went pedal to the metal.

Payne also has got to be better. You cant be a total liability at the line while also committing silly fouls over and over while also today not converting the shots you did take when not fouled. Hes also a total black hole when he gets the ball, like passing is simply something he cant even try to do.

Kid has a load of potential to be a monster as a upperclassman, but hes got to had some diversity to his game.
Someone needs to spend a lot of time with him working on his foot work. My god, every time he gets the ball on the block he puts the ball on the floor. It's so frustrating to watch.

Bad bad loss. Not bad on its head but the way it played out was inexcusable. Just needed one person to step up and stop the bleeding or the TEAM to play some defense and that was a quad 1 BT road win.
I guess it kind just went the way MN sports goes. You have a chance and things look good until somehow they don't.
Frustrating. Had to win this one to stay in the conversation with Purdue on the road upcoming.

the vibe - Carrington needs to focus and change his vibe to deadly SHOOTER Not sure where his mind is but we have to dominate 40 minutes a game .../ Get the focus//Get the vibe .. AS IS SWISH. BE DEADLY Center OF THE FRONT RIM AND... TWISH.​

Ben Show some emotion .. You need to talk and holler directions to these young players. You need to be verbally coaching. Get into the game and direct these players into the 2nd , 3rd option of each play with the off side players charging in to a rebound. Shoot it . Twish

I'm not sure anyone is claiming there weren't any bad calls against Iowa. There were. But the calls definitely favored them. Perkins just flat out stiffed armed Hawkins out of the way right in front of the ref and no call. It was a poorly officiated game. We still should have overcome it and won. But it definitely played a factor in the result.
Whiners and chiefs=Izzo and McCaffery. If a call does go in favor of MN, it's analogous to a lunar eclipse.

Busy week planned so I'm doing my breakdown for PUR on this board. In-game not yet available. PUR currently -19.5 and expected score 83-64.
Garcia needs to play at 100% if MN wants a chance to win at PUR. Duh. Purdue does a lot of things very well, and I've spent the morning looking for chinks in the armor. The bad news for MN is that PUR is #1 in BTN conf. in the following metrics:
--Offensive rebounding
--Free Throw Rate, getting to the line 44.1%
--Shot blocks (5.8/game)
--Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (128.4!)
--Effective FG % (55.4%)
--TGame Rating, based on multiple analytics (93.4 average, w/o NEB loss ave. 96.4)

Whew. In efforts to build some hope for MN, the following relates to the Boilers closest games, losses, and recent form.
--Purdue is the worst team in BTN at forcing turnovers, so MN shouldn't have TO's
--In their 5 close games and losses (NW, ALA, ILL, NEB, NW) those opponents shot 48% from behind the arc (65-135).
--NEB was 14-23 (61%) from 3, EFG% 63.2%, and NW EFG%=68.2%.
--In Purdue's last 7 games, they have jacked 138 3's while shooting 37% which is good, but Wisconsin and Rutgers held them to 3-11, 5-19 respectively. In that span of last 7 games, MN has only allowed 117 threes with teams making 35%.
--MN has a conf. TGame Rating average of 70, but in the last 4 games have an 87.5 rating, which approaches PUR season ave of 93.4.
--PUR defense has shown they can take nights off, and they allow a VERY high opponent FG% near the basket-63% for the season. (MN 52.5% allowed in that category).
--MN is solid shooting and defending 2PFGs, and the Gopher EFG% (54.4%), EFG%D (47.6%) are superior for their #82 TRank as a team.

MN needs to play the game of the year on both sides of the ball for 40 minutes, unless PUR plays worse than their previous 8 games. Study films of NW/NEB games.
Think Christmas Day, 2020 beating #4 Iowa, or Feb. 26, 2013 taking down #1 Indiana.

Busy week planned so I'm doing my breakdown for PUR on this board. In-game not yet available. PUR currently -19.5 and expected score 83-64.
Garcia needs to play at 100% if MN wants a chance to win at PUR. Duh. Purdue does a lot of things very well, and I've spent the morning looking for chinks in the armor. The bad news for MN is that PUR is #1 in BTN conf. in the following metrics:
--Offensive rebounding
--Free Throw Rate, getting to the line 44.1%
--Shot blocks (5.8/game)
--Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (128.4!)
--Effective FG % (55.4%)
--TGame Rating, based on multiple analytics (93.4 average, w/o NEB loss ave. 96.4)

Whew. In efforts to build some hope for MN, the following relates to the Boilers closest games, losses, and recent form.
--Purdue is the worst team in BTN at forcing turnovers, so MN shouldn't have TO's
--In their 5 close games and losses (NW, ALA, ILL, NEB, NW) those opponents shot 48% from behind the arc (65-135).
--NEB was 14-23 (61%) from 3, EFG% 63.2%, and NW EFG%=68.2%.
--In Purdue's last 7 games, they have jacked 138 3's while shooting 37% which is good, but Wisconsin and Rutgers held them to 3-11, 5-19 respectively. In that span of last 7 games, MN has only allowed 117 threes with teams making 35%.
--MN has a conf. TGame Rating average of 70, but in the last 4 games have an 87.5 rating, which approaches PUR season ave of 93.4.
--PUR defense has shown they can take nights off, and they allow a VERY high opponent FG% near the basket-63% for the season. (MN 52.5% allowed in that category).
--MN is solid shooting and defending 2PFGs, and the Gopher EFG% (54.4%), EFG%D (47.6%) are superior for their #82 TRank as a team.

MN needs to play the game of the year on both sides of the ball for 40 minutes, unless PUR plays worse than their previous 8 games. Study films of NW/NEB games.
Think Christmas Day, 2020 beating #4 Iowa, or Feb. 26, 2013 taking down #1 Indiana.
Wait... Garcia is available? What have you heard?

Top Bottom