Ben Is the Coach - We Need Some Patience

I gotta believe if each of these last 3 games are losses by 20 or more Ben is getting canned.

I gotta believe if each of these last 3 games are losses by 20 or more Ben is getting canned.
Well, I think that's exceedingly unlikely. We got a great shot against the skunks, and we'll draw another weakling the following Wednesday. Two straight wins isn't out of the question.

That's not true. If players are playing less than 10 minutes, they're not playing in every game and are not rotational players. Even Ramberg and TT are averaging more than 10 minutes per game.
Technically, by Dakota2's anyone-who's-played-in-non-garbage-time-counts assumption, the Gophers are 10-deep this year. Ya see, Ben doesn't have a short bench after all.
I see you agree with me again. Anybody who plays in non- garbage time is counted on to contribute. That's why good teams play 8-10 men a game.

And for a terrible team usually playing from far behind there is no garbage time. You are playing to win the next three minutes.

If some think garbage time is when you are out of the game -- say, down 15 midway first half, then Garcia has played mostly garbage time most of the season.

I see you agree with me again. Anybody who plays in non- garbage time is counted on to contribute. That's why good teams play 8-10 men a game.

And for a terrible team usually playing from far behind there is no garbage time. You are playing to win the next three minutes.

If some think garbage time is when you are out of the game -- say, down 15 midway first half, then Garcia has played mostly garbage time most of the season.

Per usual, this makes zero sense. Most good teams are playing 7-8 players and @formerlybis analysis was accurate. You're wrong, again.

Per usual, this makes zero sense. Most good teams are playing 7-8 players and @formerlybis analysis was accurate. You're wrong, again.
Appreciate the support, but there is more than one way to look at things. I believe (and you obviously do, too) that there are spot-duty players on every roster who aren't part of the empty-the-bench scrub patrol. I don't consider those players part of the x-deep rotation. I would venture to say that most coaches. players, commentators, and perhaps knowledgeable fans would be on that same page. I think it's useful to hear a different viewpoint that might change your thinking, especially if it's well-reasoned and supported. That hasn't happened in this case, but remember that half the people in the world are below-average intelligence...

He assembled a team and then tried to play a style counter intuitive to the few skills we do have.

That's a great line! Perhaps Ben's pitch to recruits should be "I want to take players out of their comfort zones!"

You're talking to someone who probably hasn't changed his thinking in 30 years.
That’s ok. I seek to be a learn-it-all rather than a know-it-all.

Others might view changing their mind, even when presented with contradictory and convincing evidence, as weakness. Thus, they never really do. They just take pieces to fit their narrative in a tortured way so they can “save face” and not appear weak.

Top Bottom