Beilein may soon be on the market

I think those coaches would fit better for what we need. We need coaches who would prioritize the 2nd tier Minnesota kids and have a system they can flourish in. There are so many players in the last 2 classes that weren’t prioritized because we were focused on the unrealistic guys
This. It is amazing to say, but a Gopher team full of “second-tier” MN high school D-1 players would be pretty darn good. Many of those kids end up being better players than our backups and even starters.

Thanks and wow - third time he'll have helmed his third NBA team when he takes over for Beilein.
And he wins 39% of his games. Many college coaches could have these NBA jobs but they are too smart for that. NBA is starved for great head coaches.

I've seen Shaka's buyout listed at 10.5 million and 13 million. If Texas is going to swallow that number, are they going to turn around and hire a 67 year old coach who just had a horrible ending to his brief NBA tenure? Their first call will be to Chris Beard. I would guess Beilein would be on their list, but where is the question.

Texas is the only job of the likely openings that is better than Minnesota (Texas/Minnesota/Georgia Tech/Wake Forest look like the high majors most likely to make a change right now). We had a poster in this thread make a post that stated essentially that Minnesota had no chance at Beilein and a second post from that same poster that suggested Beilein to Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech has not finished above .500 in the ACC since 2003-2004. Georgia Tech has not been in the NCAA tournament since 2009-2010. Georgia Tech has 2 NIT appearances in the last 9 years. If Pastner was coaching the Gophers, we'd have posters arguing for him to get a couple more years.

Could Beilein take the Georgia Tech job? Of course...but if he could take the Georgia Tech job, he could certainly take the Minnesota job.

Better questions:

Does John Beilein want to coach again? It's unlikely he'll match the success he had at Michigan (as far as tournament success at least) no matter where he ends up. Is he motivated to coach just to coach? Is he motivated to end his career on a better note than the Cavs disaster? Or would he rather just retire being known as a fantastic college coach and not risk a rather ugly end at a new school or schools (Bobby Knight, Tubby Smith, etc).

Do you want John Beilein to be your coach? The "slugs/thugs" thing has legs and reports are that Cavs players started tuning him out as early as training camp. Was it simply a bad fit going to the pros (likely IMHO) or is he starting to lose his ability to connect with younger people? He's 67 and has made a ton of money, do you trust him to outwork a Brad Underwood on the recruiting circuit?

There's no question Beilein is still a fantastic X's and O's coach, but there are real questions/concerns both on his end and a prospective schools end in regards to a return to the NCAA.

:clap:

Texas and the 6 best potential college basketball jobs for John Beilein

Of course, this all brings up the question of why the lifelong college coach decided to leave Michigan and college basketball for a shot in the NBA with the Cavaliers. It looked like a regrettable decision at the time and it’s proven to be the case.

While Beilein will have opportunities in the college game, he may not be able to jump right back in at a program like Michigan. He may have to accept coaching at a program without a history of winning or at a university without a great history or a winning tradition.

Shaka Smart is on the hot seat at Texas and Beilein could represent a proven coach with a winning background to do the types of things they envisioned when they hired Smart away from VCU.

Minnesota could give Beilein an opportunity to jump back in the Big Ten. He already has a familiarity with the conference and the recruiting footprint that comes with it. Richard Pitino hasn’t really done much of anything for the Golden Gophers to be committed to him if they have a shot to get Beilein.

Wake Forest, Oklahoma State, Boston College, Georgia Tech and Northwestern are other programs that could have an opening at the end of the year that appeals to Beilein.

He will only be unemployed as long as he wants and could have his pick of all the college basketball jobs later this spring with Texas looking like the best option.

Go Gophers!!

I've seen Shaka's buyout listed at 10.5 million and 13 million. If Texas is going to swallow that number, are they going to turn around and hire a 67 year old coach who just had a horrible ending to his brief NBA tenure? Their first call will be to Chris Beard. I would guess Beilein would be on their list, but where is the question.

Texas is the only job of the likely openings that is better than Minnesota (Texas/Minnesota/Georgia Tech/Wake Forest look like the high majors most likely to make a change right now). We had a poster in this thread make a post that stated essentially that Minnesota had no chance at Beilein and a second post from that same poster that suggested Beilein to Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech has not finished above .500 in the ACC since 2003-2004. Georgia Tech has not been in the NCAA tournament since 2009-2010. Georgia Tech has 2 NIT appearances in the last 9 years. If Pastner was coaching the Gophers, we'd have posters arguing for him to get a couple more years.

Could Beilein take the Georgia Tech job? Of course...but if he could take the Georgia Tech job, he could certainly take the Minnesota job.

Better questions:

Does John Beilein want to coach again? It's unlikely he'll match the success he had at Michigan (as far as tournament success at least) no matter where he ends up. Is he motivated to coach just to coach? Is he motivated to end his career on a better note than the Cavs disaster? Or would he rather just retire being known as a fantastic college coach and not risk a rather ugly end at a new school or schools (Bobby Knight, Tubby Smith, etc).

Do you want John Beilein to be your coach? The "slugs/thugs" thing has legs and reports are that Cavs players started tuning him out as early as training camp. Was it simply a bad fit going to the pros (likely IMHO) or is he starting to lose his ability to connect with younger people? He's 67 and has made a ton of money, do you trust him to outwork a Brad Underwood on the recruiting circuit?

There's no question Beilein is still a fantastic X's and O's coach, but there are real questions/concerns both on his end and a prospective schools end in regards to a return to the NCAA.

EG, I don't mind at all if you mention me specifically as the guy who said Beilein wouldn't come here, or that Georgia Tech would be another possibility. I said it, it's out there!

As far as Beilein becoming the Gophers coach, my thinking is a combination of two things. (1) I don't think the U would come up with the large sum of money it would take to get him, but more so (2) just a feeling that if he returns it won't be to a Big Ten school, though Indiana would be awfully tempting if IU moves on from Archie.

Not going to hold my breath for Beilein to come here, but I would say this: this would be a good fit for him. He'd have instant legitimacy with local coaches and their top players. I'd be very surprised if he couldn't reel in one of the big fish in his first couple years.

I'm not going to rule it out either. It's easy to forget, but Coyle nabbing the biggest young coaching talent in the country three years ago (Fleck) was a coup and an eye opener. He seems to have his way of getting a candidate's attention.

Thanks and wow - third time he'll have helmed his third NBA team when he takes over for Beilein.

The interesting thing is too, is that he was one of the guys that originally interviewed for the Cavs job I'm pretty sure. Wonder if they would maybe ride it out with him for a couple of years?

Texas and the 6 best potential college basketball jobs for John Beilein

Of course, this all brings up the question of why the lifelong college coach decided to leave Michigan and college basketball for a shot in the NBA with the Cavaliers. It looked like a regrettable decision at the time and it’s proven to be the case.

While Beilein will have opportunities in the college game, he may not be able to jump right back in at a program like Michigan. He may have to accept coaching at a program without a history of winning or at a university without a great history or a winning tradition.

Shaka Smart is on the hot seat at Texas and Beilein could represent a proven coach with a winning background to do the types of things they envisioned when they hired Smart away from VCU.

Minnesota could give Beilein an opportunity to jump back in the Big Ten. He already has a familiarity with the conference and the recruiting footprint that comes with it. Richard Pitino hasn’t really done much of anything for the Golden Gophers to be committed to him if they have a shot to get Beilein.

Wake Forest, Oklahoma State, Boston College, Georgia Tech and Northwestern are other programs that could have an opening at the end of the year that appeals to Beilein.

He will only be unemployed as long as he wants and could have his pick of all the college basketball jobs later this spring with Texas looking like the best option.

Go Gophers!!
Oklahoma State and Indiana are not moving on from their coaches. Sounds like for now JB is going to be a special asst. at Michigan

Also need to remember how important Luke Yaklich was to Beilein as well the last few years at Michigan. It's not just a simple solution. He also needs to want to do it and be motivated to do it.

This. It is amazing to say, but a Gopher team full of “second-tier” MN high school D-1 players would be pretty darn good. Many of those kids end up being better players than our backups and even starters.
Hind sight is always 20/20

Ben Jacobsen Northern Iowa
Well again, he’s been there for 14 seasons. And their 2009-10 season was about as good as a school like UNI could hope for. Seems like he doesn’t want to leave??

I agree we might not be the favorite, but I'm curious why you think we'd have no shot? We're likely to be the only opening in the B1G and even if one of the Blue Bloods (UNC perhaps) comes open, it's not likely they would target him due to age. There has be some appeal to come back to the B1G. If his options are Wake Forest, random SEC job, random Pac 12 job, I'd give us as good a shot as the rest.
Also assuming he wants to go right back into high level college coaching, like he never left. Rather than take a year off, or retire outright for a TV commentator role.

We all have our biases and my lean to those who have toiled at a lower level on their own. Does he even want to recruit ? Does he have a young family ? I know very little of his situation. I tend to guys that won in hyper competitive conferences at lower levels with few resources.
Do you consider Mountain West “hyper competitive”? :)

Back up the truck with the BTN windfall and park it in Beilein’s driveway, refusing to leave until he agrees to coach the Gophers. This program has grown so stale, so irrelevant, it needs a major jolt just to get it back to average.

Sporting News: John Beilein’s seven best landing spots for NCAA return, from Texas on down

Minnesota
Minnesota has made two tournament appearances under Richard Pitino, but it has been a perpetual bubble team that hasn’t quite lived up to expectations. This would put Beilein back in the Big Ten, but there isn’t quite the same recruiting base that he had at Michigan. Northwestern is another Big Ten school to keep an eye on, but Beilein might cost too much.

Go Gophers!!

A10 is almost a high major. I feel like whoever coaches Dayton should own the league, now.

WIAC has great sports, at the DIII level. Great hires for low major DI schools, but you’d never give the Minnesota job straight to a guy from Eau Claire. He should need to prove himself at a Summit school etc.

Southern and the A10. Really good coaches, highly competitive recruiting. WIAC has turned out some damn good coaches.

Does Steve Forbes interest you? Scares me a little considering the staffs he's been apart of.

And he wins 39% of his games. Many college coaches could have these NBA jobs but they are too smart for that. NBA is starved for great head coaches.

Knock, knock, knock.....Who could that be? Our good friend context is here to provide some much needed illumination -

Two of the three seasons he has coached in the NBA were as an interim - took over during the season. With the Rockets (1 season only/interim) he had a win % of .521. His career win % is skewed by his interim season with the Grizzlies where his win % was .238, however the following year it improved to .402. Would be interesting to see what he could accomplish with a decent chunk of time in my opinion.

Regardless of your perception, he is obviously well thought of by some/many(?) working in the association.

Some coaches who were college coaches and then experienced NBA experience at various levels -

Dick Motta
Cotton Fitzsimons
Jack Ramsey
PJ Carlesimo
Larry Brown - who I included since he went from the pros to college to pros multiple times. I realize he started his head coaching career in the ABA.

Of course there have been colossal flops such as: Pitino, Coach Cal, Tim Floyd to name just a few from a long list.

Some can do it, however, most find that isn't really their coaching lane.

Thank you context!

Last edited:

You hire him the absolute first chance you can (that is assuming he would come here)

Top Bottom