Beal

This is an extremely impressive pick up by the staff. Now that is the way to plug holes; with a player that has an even stronger football and student resume. When are we going to realize that Coach Brewster and his Staff is the real deal. This team is definitely on the right track.

When I think about the depth and talent the Gophers are going to have at LB (and throughout the D) in 2011...wow. I can´t wait to see Jerry whatshisface Gopher hater and the rest of the crew on Big Ten network talking about the defensive juggernaut Brewster is assembling at Minnesota!

So Brew is a great recruiter again, right? ;)

This is awesome! Like someone said before, he hasn't played a down yet, but he should be almost a shoe-in to start at Mike next year(slide Tinsley over to Will). It'll be interesting to hear about him dominating on the practice squad this year.

Just got done watching some of Beal's films from practices and scrimmages while he was at Florida and there's no doubt the kid can really play. Can really tackle, has good closing speed and hits pretty darn hard. If he can stay healthy, I have no doubt he'll be a really good linebacker for us in 2011. :D

Why is this a 1 star thread?

Gopher Hole has this as a 1 star rating, which is way too low. There was a Decker thread started when he was a freshman that was also only a 1 star. I doubt the guys that rate threads have even seen this thread live, and I can't even find film of this thread on youtube.

I don´t know if it´s fair to say he was ¨buried¨ on the depth chart. He was listed as 2nd behind another 4star Soph at Florida and have a 5star Super-Freshman behind him. It was going to be a dog fight the next 3 years that´s for sure. I think, after a monster Spring game where he actually lost ground to the Freshman it became clear no matter how well he played he was going to be odd-man-out, so he made a move. Weclome abord Mr Beal.

Also, I´ve said this many, many times don´t doubt Sid when it comes to Gopher football. Sid is accurate about 25% of the time in general, but is close to batting 1000% with Gopher football since Brew took over. Brew is throwing the old dog some meaty bones.

If he has football smarts to go with the book smarts, should be an excellent on field def. QB. Sam Maresh might as well transfer or get a heck of alot faster for the outside backup position !

If he has football smarts to go with the book smarts, should be an excellent on field def. QB. Sam Maresh might as well transfer or get a heck of alot faster for the outside backup position !

:confused:

I think a few apologies are in order to Sid Hartman. He's the guy that called this 1st and a number of people were knocking him for misunderstanding Beal's intentions.

According to the guy that interviewed Beal for Scout, at the time Sid wrote his column, Beal was headed for Stanford. Beal's visit here turned that around.

According to the guy that interviewed Beal for Scout, at the time Sid wrote his column, Beal was headed for Stanford. Beal's visit here turned that around.

Wow.

As a Carlson alum, I can unequivocally state that Stanford's business program (particularly with regard to quantitative finance) is miles better than the U's. That's no knock on the U; Stanford's program is just that good.

I think all the credit here has to be given to Brewster. It's nice to be able to say that about something positive again.

Wow.

As a Carlson alum, I can unequivocally state that Stanford's business program (particularly with regard to quantitative finance) is miles better than the U's. That's no knock on the U; Stanford's program is just that good.

I think all the credit here has to be given to Brewster. It's nice to be able to say that about something positive again.

I completely agree. As much as I love having Beal commit to the U, and potentially be a major contributor, Stanford GSB and Carlson do not belong in the same conversation.

I wonder if this guy will stay if are record is terrible this year and Brewster is canned? If education is first to him, he probably will.

I wonder if this guy will stay if are record is terrible this year and Brewster is canned? If education is first to him, he probably will.

Once he's here he's here. He only has 2 years left. If he transferred, he'd burn one of those years in the process. Even if he gets an extra year of eligibility, why waste that to transfer. Who transfers more than once? Kids who fail academically and this guy doesn't sound like someone who is in that group.

Once he's here he's here. He only has 2 years left. If he transferred, he'd burn one of those years in the process. Even if he gets an extra year of eligibility, why waste that to transfer. Who transfers more than once? Kids who fail academically and this guy doesn't sound like someone who is in that group.

sounds like he has four years remaining after a redshirt and a medical issue last year meaning he will have 3 more years with the gophers yet.

sounds like he has four years remaining after a redshirt and a medical issue last year meaning he will have 3 more years with the gophers yet.

As of now, he'd have two years left to actually play. You get five years to play four. He has:

Year One (2008): Redshirt
Year Two (2009): Missed with injury
Year Three (2010/this year): Transfer sit out
Year Four (2011): Play Football for GOPHERS
Year Five (2012): Play Football for GOPHERS

Now, he has a great case for a sixth year and will almost certainly petition for that if he wants to play a third year here. If he plays really, really good, he might just go to the NFL after his 2nd year of playing here and not worry about the petition.

As of now, he'd have two years left to actually play. You get five years to play four. He has:

Year One (2008): Redshirt
Year Two (2009): Missed with injury
Year Three (2010/this year): Transfer sit out
Year Four (2011): Play Football for GOPHERS
Year Five (2012): Play Football for GOPHERS

Now, he has a great case for a sixth year and will almost certainly petition for that if he wants to play a third year here. If he plays really, really good, he might just go to the NFL after his 2nd year of playing here and not worry about the petition.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/970408.html

Money quote: "He will have four years of eligibility left due to a medical hardship, so whatever program picks him up will still have his services at middle linebacker for three years after he sits out a year."

He really takes his studies seriously and is a person who has a plan for what he wants to do outside of football. How many college football players strive to do what he wants to do? I mean he is already setting a goal of getting a masters degree here for crying out loud. I would classify him as more of a CONFIDENT person more so than a cocky person. If I had goals like his I'd spout them off like that too in an interview, including how I plan to reach those just as he did. Why sugar coat it and downplay it with maybes and the classic "I just want to work when I get up there" quotes. The man is hungry to play some competitive football being that he hasn't for two years now. There is nothing wrong with an assertive young adult. I like the kid already!

I have not posted here in a while, although I check the site usually once daily. This is fantastic news. With the negativity surrounding the football and basketball programs, it is very refreshing to hear a potentially GREAT linebacker sign and express his excitement about joining the team. The fact that he is a very smart kid with the intentions of taking advantage of his scholarship (for educational reasons) is just icing on the cake. Welcome Mr. Beal. We will all be looking forward to watch you ruin our rivals offenses in the future!

Just read the interview on GH. Wow. Excellent job by coach Brewster. No way we get this guy without him.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/970408.html

Money quote: "He will have four years of eligibility left due to a medical hardship, so whatever program picks him up will still have his services at middle linebacker for three years after he sits out a year."

Not that I don't trust Scout, but I am 99% he has to wait until after his fifth year to apply for a waiver to get a sixth year (which he would need to play three seasons for the Gophers). As I said, his case for an additional season is ideal and he almost certainly would get a sixth year if he wants one, but I do not believe that he already has a sixth year, as you have to wait until after your fifth year to apply for it.

Not that I don't trust Scout, but I am 99% he has to wait until after his fifth year to apply for a waiver to get a sixth year (which he would need to play three seasons for the Gophers). As I said, his case for an additional season is ideal and he almost certainly would get a sixth year if he wants one, but I do not believe that he already has a sixth year, as you have to wait until after your fifth year to apply for it.

So what do you make of GL's article on the front page? It quotes Beal as saying, "I received a medical hardship due to a certain by-law from the NCAA compliance office. This granted me my 2 years of eligibility back so technically speaking right now I am a red shirt freshman."

So what do you make of GL's article on the front page? It quotes Beal as saying, "I received a medical hardship due to a certain by-law from the NCAA compliance office. This granted me my 2 years of eligibility back so technically speaking right now I am a red shirt freshman."

Good enough for me. The rule must have changed :)

Top Bottom