Beal: Florida transfer fired up to play at U after three years out

I'm really hoping he starts this year.

No, LB. My point was more that I wasn't as enamored with the LBs last year as some were.

Kill's comments were discouraging.

I interpreted him to mean he's not able to move well in space.

Maybe it will take a year of pushing his knee before he gets there.

Maybe 245 lbs. is making him too stiff (happened to whats-his-name, who started at LB for us--white kid, former track guy). Edit: Shevlin.

Bigger and stronger does not automatically mean better.

John Shevlin?

Good problem to have!

I actually like the situation the way it is. We've got a LB corps that can match up against multiple O looks. For spread teams, we can go with Coop, Tinsley & Rallis and defend in space. For smash-mouth run teams like Iowa, we can go bigger, bringing in Beal for any of the three. We can also mix things up with a 3-4 look. I see this flexibility is a very good thing.

It also gives Beal a chance to get game experience in situations where he can thrive and work on his weaknesses without having to shoulder the entire load. Remember, he's only a Soph and hasn't played in 3 years. He certainly has talent, but I'm not sure I want to rely on a MLB with that little actual playing time. Give him a year of situational experience and Klein's S&C program. If his play on the field demands it, he will get more time.

Maybe 245 lbs. is making him too stiff (happened to whats-his-name, who started at LB for us--white kid, former track guy). Edit: Shevlin.

Kill rarely says anything good about players or the status of the team.

I have high expectations for Beal to be sure, but at this point it sounds like his ability to defend the pass is a liability. Hopefully with another strong year practicing under the new coaching regime, he can make big strides and be the beast that the recruiting services anointed him as.

I actually like the situation the way it is. We've got a LB corps that can match up against multiple O looks. For spread teams, we can go with Coop, Tinsley & Rallis and defend in space. For smash-mouth run teams like Iowa, we can go bigger, bringing in Beal for any of the three. We can also mix things up with a 3-4 look. I see this flexibility is a very good thing.

It also gives Beal a chance to get game experience in situations where he can thrive and work on his weaknesses without having to shoulder the entire load. Remember, he's only a Soph and hasn't played in 3 years. He certainly has talent, but I'm not sure I want to rely on a MLB with that little actual playing time. Give him a year of situational experience and Klein's S&C program. If his play on the field demands it, he will get more time.

Claeys has said they run a 4-3 and won't be running any 3-4. None of them fit the mold of 3-4 OLBs. Just because you have 4 LBs doesn't mean a 3-4 is a good option. It's a completely different style of defense in the front seven.

That's not quite what I remember hearing...

Claeys has said they run a 4-3 and won't be running any 3-4. None of them fit the mold of 3-4 OLBs. Just because you have 4 LBs doesn't mean a 3-4 is a good option. It's a completely different style of defense in the front seven.

I know that it is a completely different style of defense. But what I heard Claeys say was that they base out of a 4-3, but that they had different looks. I don't believe he said that they never play 3-4. But I certainly could be mis-remembering. We shall see what he comes up with to use the talents he has.

Regardless, my point still is valid that the different skill sets of our LBs give them some flexibility to use different combinations.

I know that it is a completely different style of defense. But what I heard Claeys say was that they base out of a 4-3, but that they had different looks. I don't believe he said that they never play 3-4. But I certainly could be mis-remembering. We shall see what he comes up with to use the talents he has.

Regardless, my point still is valid that the different skill sets of our LBs give them some flexibility to use different combinations.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that Claeys said in some of their special packages they might have 5 or 6 linebackers on the field at one time.

I went to a few practices this Spring and walked away with the exact same impression of Beal...the guy just plays stiff and doesn't seem to diagnose things very well. He is an absolute beast in drills and in things like 1-1 board drills, but he honestly looked a step slow in every team drill I watched. I have high hopes for him because of his athletic ability, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make much of an impact this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's playing D-end at some point in his career.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Wolfson_New_coordinator_Tracy_Claeys_has_lofty_goals_for_Gophers_D072111

Points well taken. He leaves open specialty packages. Maybe a nickel situation. But in a nickel (passing) situation, do you really want a LB who is a little slow playing in space? Seems like Beal isn't ready at this point.

My basic point is that we have a coordinator with a defensive identity (4-3) who is not going to run a defense of the week or try to run 34, 43, 46 Bear, 335, or every other defense under the sun every week. We should be celebrating that. It is what has been sorely lacking.

Top Bottom