Battle has the pieces!!!

It's possible that not every kid that plays college basketball wants to do it for 6 years - especially if they decide they aren't going to pursue it professionally. All speculation on this aspect, it's also possible that his injury struggles and the way the year has played out took some of his joy from the game. Someone needs to really be having fun to want to come back for a 6th year, IMO.
Playing basketball in front of big crowds and being on scholarship versus real job. I could see him playing overseas if he gets good money.

It's possible that not every kid that plays college basketball wants to do it for 6 years - especially if they decide they aren't going to pursue it professionally. All speculation on this aspect, it's also possible that his injury struggles and the way the year has played out took some of his joy from the game. Someone needs to really be having fun to want to come back for a 6th year, IMO.
If he came back it would be for his 5th year not 6th.

Bathe and Garcia are hard to play together on defense. Payne needs to play the 5 and both of them are stretch 4's. Battle doesn't have the quickness to guard three"s. Ideally on a team with quicker better guards one of the two could be a high scoring 6th man, if they would accept the role.

Having watched Payne since last year, it's becoming apparent that the guy has some passing skills as well as unbelievably good hands and feet for a guy his size. He made some left-handed catches on balls thrown into the post last night that were amazing. He has also cleaned up his turnovers a bit and improved his free throw shooting, but still has a ways to go. And I'm not suggesting he would be running the offense next year, but I hope they can surround him with 4 shooters and get him the ball down low, because he's very skilled at skipping passes to outside shooters when he's doubled. And if he's not doubled, he can go to work.

Imagine if Payne before next year puts on another 15-20 lbs (he's got the frame and work ethic to do it) and gains confidence in his jump shot from 15 feet and in-the guy does have some touch, and he's shot 3's before in AAU and HS ball. I think this will happen, and we may be seeing an all big ten performer by his junior year. I'm not saying who needs Evans, but we're going to be OK at center, except for the fact that there right now isn't a legit backup!
+1
I saw the same thing, some of those entry passes were coming from high odd angles, with some speed on them. I was amazed he was coming down with them, let alone going right into his moves. Really impressive stuff.

Well, he might have all the pieces but it doesn’t do the team any good if he doesn’t play. I guess we will find out tonight at senior night if he is not staying as a grad student.

Top Bottom