Bart Torvik sets Gophers as 17.4-point favorite over Bethune-Cookman

hmm, basically what you get if you use the final numbers from sagarin from last season. he's suggesting the gophers will be about the same this year as last year?

hmm, basically what you get if you use the final numbers from sagarin from last season. he's suggesting the gophers will be about the same this year as last year?

I guess it's easier than I thought to come up with a preseason line against Bethune Cookman.

No statistical model is great at predicting how all teams are going to perform with a bunch of new parts, not just MN. You need to get data from this season before it becomes reliable.

That being said, a lot goes into his model - he does take into account transfers, recruits, and potential improvement of returning players. Of course there are outlier teams that far over/underperform their preseason expectation, but he's got a fairly stellar track record on the whole.

No statistical model is great at predicting how all teams are going to perform with a bunch of new parts, not just MN. You need to get data from this season before it becomes reliable.

That being said, a lot goes into his model - he does take into account transfers, recruits, and potential improvement of returning players. Of course there are outlier teams that far over/underperform their preseason expectation, but he's got a fairly stellar track record on the whole.
might be especially hard to try and figure out Bethune - one of last seasons worst teams. 16 on the roster. 8 freshman. of the other 8, 7 are transfers (though i don't know when they transferred in)

might be especially hard to try and figure out Bethune - one of last seasons worst teams. 16 on the roster. 8 freshman. of the other 8, 7 are transfers (though i don't know when they transferred in)
Sounds like the Gopher roster a couple years ago. 🤨

Top Bottom