Band Director

Nine

Reaction score
For the one millionth time...

Do NOT play the Rouser after a turnover. There is NOT enough time and you screw with our offense every time while the crowd spells out Minnesota.

We DON'T need any extra excitement after a turnover. The ball is its own reward and the players need it quite to call a play.

Disagree on the Rouser.

I do believe that 1/2 time show, could have a little more movement. I thought the sound would be better, do we have a lot more winds then other big ten bands I've heard?

After the Triplett interception (and the subsequent rouser), Minnesota scored two plays later.

After the fumble to start the third at the 44 yard line (and the subsequent rouser), Gophers drove it to the 18 yard line before self destructing.

What was your point again?

disagree how?

The players hate it.

I could care less if one of us in the stands likes it.

Box

well, you can't argue with scoring a TD each time.

I guess it works perfectly.

Against California, the Bears fumbled on a punt return, Gophers got the ball on the Cal 46 and drove it down to the 29 in three plays. Maybe the Rouser was still playing in Hayo's head when he fumbled four plays after the rouser was finished?

I agree...I think it is wasted. The rouser is for celebrating scores. It would be like playing the rouser for the Gophers getting a power play in hockey.

yeah

Against California, the Bears fumbled on a punt return, Gophers got the ball on the Cal 46 and drove it down to the 29 in three plays. Maybe the Rouser was still playing in Hayo's head when he fumbled four plays after the rouser was finished?

I'm saying the players can't hear the QB and can NOT run a quick play as they have to spend time waiting and flapping their arms down to make everyone shut up.

Once they do shut up, they can score, they can fumble, or anything in between as its no longer a factor. It does, however, take away our ability to call a play from the sideline and run out and execute a quick play while the opponent is hanging their head.

Play any other song and when the band stops, its over. The band stops the Rouser as the players are taking the field but it doesn't matter as the spelling continues after the band stops.

This is the single saddest excuse for bad football playing on our part I've seen from a poster. If the football players are getting distracted by the Rouser going off then they need to get a lesson on focusing when it comes to game time. Although with the ACT scores of the team coming in it might be a hard concept for them to figure out.

And by contrast the Rouser is played in any number of scenarios at basketball games and it sure as heck doesn't seem to throw them for a loop.

Stop making these sorry ass excuses for our team making bad plays. I love to hear the Rouser go off when something positive happens and I'm not sure what the big issue is.

If they can't keep focused while the rouser is playing that's pretty sad. Maybe it should be like a gold tourney when the Gophers have the ball. No one moves or makes any noise. :cool:

This is the single saddest excuse for bad football playing on our part I've seen from a poster. If the football players are getting distracted by the Rouser going off then they need to get a lesson on focusing when it comes to game time. Although with the ACT scores of the team coming in it might be a hard concept for them to figure out.

And by contrast the Rouser is played in any number of scenarios at basketball games and it sure as heck doesn't seem to throw them for a loop.

Stop making these sorry ass excuses for our team making bad plays. I love to hear the Rouser go off when something positive happens and I'm not sure what the big issue is.

This just kills me. You make a great point about concentration, and then you slander the team and/or incoming recruits. (can't tell which from the 'incoming team' part of your post). Anyway, if you have something to back up marginal ACT scores, please post it. If not, please stop posting fiction as fact.

WTF are you talking about?

Who said it was an excuse for bad football???

Nine is 100% right on this one. I'd think PeanutButterTubbyTime was one of the morons who tries to start a "Let's Go Gophers" chant or otherwise make noise when we have the ball, but I'd be surprised if he even had football tickets.

Nine is 100% right on this one. I'd think PeanutButterTubbyTime was one of the morons who tries to start a "Let's Go Gophers" chant or otherwise make noise when we have the ball, but I'd be surprised if he even had football tickets.

No he isn't. By the same statement that the players would get too riled up about hearing the Rouser one could say that fans cheering or even the existence of fans at the game achieves the same action and therefore is a detracting measure at the game. I sure as heck didn't hear a quiet stadium when we get a Weber to Decker connection. I'm just saying that to say that when the band is playing it detracts from the play on the field. I find it not too difficult to focus on the game if the Gophers are running a hurry up offense and I see no reason why the players couldn't also.

This just kills me. You make a great point about concentration, and then you slander the team and/or incoming recruits. (can't tell which from the 'incoming team' part of your post). Anyway, if you have something to back up marginal ACT scores, please post it. If not, please stop posting fiction as fact.

To be fair the ACT comment wasn't really relevant to any sort of argument, but if you want a reference there was an article on incoming scores done last year for the incoming freshman which one could presumably extrapolate to the other four years as I'm sure nothing major changes from year to year. I know it's from the Star Trib, but being that it is a statistical number I'm sure it's not too biased.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/27512174.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiacyKUU

As usual I think many of the people here are taking this wrong way. Good god, it is not that loud noises distract our players. THEY SIMPLY CAN'T HEAR THE PLAY BEING CALLED. I've never seen a study that links intelligence, ACT scores or any other measure of knowledge with it being too loud to hear. But if you have some insight into it please share. Otherwise shut the hell up.

It's a fine suggestion, especially after the Triplett INT, half of the lineman were trying to quite the crowd down during the huddle.

To be fair the ACT comment wasn't really relevant to any sort of argument, but if you want a reference there was an article on incoming scores done last year for the incoming freshman which one could presumably extrapolate to the other four years as I'm sure nothing major changes from year to year. I know it's from the Star Trib, but being that it is a statistical number I'm sure it's not too biased.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/27512174.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiacyKUU

No, you can't extrapolate data from one sample year over four. Those scores were discussed here at length when they came out and the consensus was that with some Big 10 schools not reporting, and some not fully reporting, the article was pretty much useless.

Top Bottom