Baltimore Sun. MD student paper preview stories

swingman

Reaction score

Where Maryland football stands after a much-needed bye week — and why the next two games are so important​

By RYAN MCFADDEN
BALTIMORE SUN |
OCT 21, 2021 AT 8:00 A

Even though Maryland treats each opponent with the same level of intensity and preparation, the next two games against the Golden Gophers and Indiana, which is on Oct. 30, should be treated with a great sense of urgency, as the Terps can clinch their first bowl appearance since 2016.
Yahoo Sports currently has the Terps facing USC in the Vegas Bowl, while CBS Sports does not project the Terps to reach a bowl game.

Minnesota and Indiana are two winnable games for Maryland. The Terps have won three of the past four matchups against the Golden Gophers, who are 4-2 and 2-1 in conference play. Last season, Maryland defeated Minnesota, 45-44, in an overtime game in which junior quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa had 394 passing yards and five total touchdowns.

“I felt like one of the things we’ve been able to do against two of the top teams was play the run,” Locksley said. “But, we gave a lot of explosive plays in the passing game, which hadn’t been something that we had done earlier in the year. Obviously, when you’re playing without your top three to four corners, the next man has to step up.”

Locksley is hopeful senior defensive backs Jakorian Bennett and Kenny Bennett, who missed the game against Ohio State with hamstring injuries, are game-time decisions Saturday. The Terps lost junior linebacker Durell Nchami, who will undergo season-ending upper-body surgery, but Locksley hopes freshman linebacker Branden Jennings can return to practice this week.

Maryland’s offense will be tested even further with receivers Dontay Demus Jr. (knee) and Jeshaun Jones (lower leg) out for the season. Tagovailoa, the brother of Alabama star and Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, is confident that sophomore receiver Rakim Jarrett, Okonkwo, running back Tayon Fleet-Davis and senior receivers Darryl Jones and Brian Cobbs can step up.

“I feel like we are at a pretty good spot,” Tagovailoa said. “We got some guys banged up, but we also got a couple of guys that I’m excited for. I’m looking forward to them stepping [into] the roles they came here to be in. We have the right mindset. We are playing together. We are getting closer, and going into the next half of our season, that’s what we need to be.”

Last edited:

Though Maryland may not have anticipated losing two of its top receivers and dealing with a plethora of injuries on the defensive half of the field, sitting two wins from a bowl and three from finishing with a winning record is an encouraging sign.

Those wins are possible, starting with a manageable game against Minnesota. Locksley, though, doesn’t prefer to focus on that aspect.

Though Maryland may not have anticipated losing two of its top receivers and dealing with a plethora of injuries on the defensive half of the field, sitting two wins from a bowl and three from finishing with a winning record is an encouraging sign.

Those wins are possible, starting with a manageable game against Minnesota. Locksley, though, doesn’t prefer to focus on that aspect.

Did Locksley come from Alabama? If so, I can understand his mindset

The weather should favor us on the line of scrimmage against Maryland. We need to see the Gophers have the same intensity as last week. I'm kind of tired of looking back against Nebraska and all of that talk. It's time to turn the page and get ready for Maryland. 2:30 PM kick off which we have been begging for all year, plenty of time to have a good time before and after the game. I can see there point that this is a winnable game but it is also a very winnable game for the Gophers if we see execution like Purdue or Nebraska and put Bowling Green behind us.
Row the Boat, Ski-U-MAH and let's beat the Terps@!#%@@@!

Top Bottom