Badgers will finish ahead of Minnesota in the Big Ten standings for a 26th-straight year.

It's almost as if they know how to do something that has completely escaped us.

Cue the "administration" boogeyman under the bed talk.

It's almost as if they know how to do something that has completely escaped us.

If the administration is doing its job and actually wants to win in men's bb, you simply don't hire Ben j.

If the administration is doing its job and actually wants to win in men's bb, you simply don't hire Ben j.
I wonder if Wisconsin would have hired Ben Johnson
Fans get so wrapped-up & unhinged game-by-game that the current coach becomes the boogyman.

Although...also...when I really pressed it a while back...it was proven/admitted that many posters on here, as I suspected, are actually fans of other teams.

Fans get so wrapped-up & unhinged game-by-game that the current coach becomes the boogyman.

Although...also...when I really pressed it a while back...it was proven/admitted that many posters on here, as I suspected, are actually fans of other teams.
If this were NOT true it would be the only industry I have ever heard of that did not have paid and unpaid agent provocateurs undermining competitive products. Happens everywhere.

If this were NOT true it would be the only industry I have ever heard of that did not have paid and unpaid agent provocateurs undermining competitive products. Happens everywhere.
Easy, I think the captain was tweaking yer nose.

This is a choice. Just like it's a choice to allow past poor results to excuse current poor performance. It was a very bad omen when Coyle did that interview with Andy Greder and the topic of " Minnesota only being in X number of tournaments in X number of years" was brought up in relation to Ben Johnson not needing to make the NCAA tournament this season to stay employed. You (Minnesota leadership from the President through Coyle) determine your expectations and standards not past results. Ben Johnson currently has a worse conference record through 3 years than Todd Lickliter (and every Gopher coach in history). At this point Iowa made a choice to fire Todd Lickliter, get turned down by a ton of coaches...and hire Fran McCaffery who just this year became the first Iowa coach since the 50's to win 3 straight in the Barn...and had the second biggest comeback in Iowa history to beat the Gophers for a sweep (thanks Ben!). The "U" has a similar decision to make and we all know what they are overwhelmingly likely to choose to do.

This is a choice. Just like it's a choice to allow past poor results to excuse current poor performance. It was a very bad omen when Coyle did that interview with Andy Greder and the topic of " Minnesota only being in X number of tournaments in X number of years" was brought up in relation to Ben Johnson not needing to make the NCAA tournament this season to stay employed. You (Minnesota leadership from the President through Coyle) determine your expectations and standards not past results. Ben Johnson currently has a worse conference record through 3 years than Todd Lickliter (and every Gopher coach in history). At this point Iowa made a choice to fire Todd Lickliter, get turned down by a ton of coaches...and hire Fran McCaffery who just this year became the first Iowa coach since the 50's to win 3 straight in the Barn...and had the second biggest comeback in Iowa history to beat the Gophers for a sweep (thanks Ben!). The "U" has a similar decision to make and we all know what they are overwhelmingly likely to choose to do.
+o4, love the line about we determine our own expectations and standards.

Lickliter trended down every year at Iowa, including his last. They won’t (and shouldn’t) fire Ben this year after making a substantial leap in standings. Next year he needs to continue the upward trend and build on the core group he has this year. Next year is a make or break season for Ben, but pulling the plug on Ben after this season would make zero sense.

Lickliter trended down every year at Iowa, including his last. They won’t (and shouldn’t) fire Ben this year after making a substantial leap in standings. Next year he needs to continue the upward trend and build on the core group he has this year. Next year is a make or break season for Ben, but pulling the plug on Ben after this season would make zero sense.
We are squarely on track for another Pitino 8 yr. Ben shouldn’t get fired but Coyle is out of excuses.

We are squarely on track for another Pitino 8 yr. Ben shouldn’t get fired but Coyle is out of excuses.
The sunk cost fallacy is alive and well, not to mention the principle of inertia. I tend to take a different mindset myself, albeit somewhat of a contrarian mindset. I generally stop kissing frogs once it's apparent that they're not going to turn into a prince.

Lickliter trended down every year at Iowa, including his last.

His tenure certainly was miserable but his team improved from Year 1 to Year 2 although they still finished slightly under .500 for the season. After his second season, he had a significant of defections (and that was in the sit-out transfer days). His last year clearly was the worst and that's saying something.

It wasn't just wins and losses with his teams. He wasn't a good recruiter (particularly with big men) and his style of basketball was pretty boring.

His tenure certainly was miserable but his team improved from Year 1 to Year 2 although they still finished slightly under .500 for the season. After his second season, he had a significant of defections (and that was in the sit-out transfer days). His last year clearly was the worst and that's saying something.

It wasn't just wins and losses with his teams. He wasn't a good recruiter (particularly with big men) and his style of basketball was pretty boring.
1710346746869.png
EDIT: The image forgot to include "Is boring to watch"

Top Bottom