Badgers lost to UW-Green Bay 83-88

I'd much rather have a resume with wins over Duke, Gonzaga, and Arizona along with a loss to UWGB than our current resume.

The Duke win is certainly bigger than our best win (vs. Butler, who is 0-3 vs. teams ranked at the time of the game), but UW lost to Gonzaga and beat an Arizona team that's 4-4 and has lost every meaningful game they've played (Wisconsin, UNLV, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma) and could barely beat Colorado - needed overtime - who is picked to finished last in the Big 12.

Now, I agree UW has a better resume than ours if you're taking it at this early point in the season, but it's not a landslide.

The Badgers took a chance scheduling this game. They either win a game they are supposed to win or they get upset by a highly motivated opponent. Yet it was a game of big interest to their fans unlike Brown or Morgan State.

So, I was there at the Resch Center last night...

and as was stated earlier, everytime UW would pull even, UWGB would put together a couple very well executed offensive sets and pull away again. UWGB could have pulled it out at the end of regulation, and WI was hurt by Hughes and Bohannon (sp on both, I'm not a Badger fan) both fouling out in the extra session.
The #1 thing that killed Bucky was a 5th year player, Cordero Barkley, for the Phoenix, not known for his long range shooting, being left open and hitting some clutch 3's.

This was a part of a ten game series, 8 in Madison, 2 in Green Bay. UW comes back to the Resch in 2014. As an aside, UWGB just inked a deal that will bring Marquette to Green Bay with two return games to Milwaukee. I'm betting the UWGB athletic director is glad he got that deal done before last nights game.

Two other things, UWGB had 5 players in double figures, so their balance really helped them, and they set a new UWGB Basketball attendance record, so the crowd certainly gave them a lift, even though it was probably 25% Badger fans.

Top Bottom