Badgers, Buffs banged up; issues at kicker in Madison

swingman

Reaction score

Banged up​

Redshirt freshman offensive linemen were practicing with the defensive line Saturday to help give that group enough bodies, and the offense was down to junior Brady Schipper at running back in the latter half of the practice. Here’s the list of players that were on the injury report for Saturday’s practice:

OUT​

• DL Keeanu Benton (left leg)
  • RB Julius Davis (leg)
  • CB Deron Harrell (right leg)
  • CB Faion Hicks (both legs)
  • ILB Mike Masklanas (core)
  • CB Semar Melvin (right arm)
  • OLB Riley Nowakowski (right leg)
  • WR Kendric Pryor (left leg)
  • DL James Thompson Jr. (right leg)
  • DL Bryson Williams (right leg)

LIMITED​

• WR Chimere Dike (right leg)

INJURED DURING PRACTICE​

• RB Jalen Berger (leg)
  • OLB Aaron Witt (leg)
KICKERS:

Asked to assess the performances from his kickers this spring, Chryst didn’t sugarcoat his answer.
“They’ve got to be better than they were today, and they know that,” he said.
Both senior Collin Larsh and sophomore Jack Van Dyke had multiple misses inside 40 yards and missed kicks from inside 35 after a red-zone drill late in practice.
This is a position battle that’s likely to be waged deep into fall camp... both kickers’ accuracy was an issue.

The Buffaloes were without roughly 17 scholarship players on Friday, including five offensive linemen.

"I know we can fix things when we get a few players back up front," Dorrell said. "We're really thin up front right now. So that's been our biggest challenge. That hurts a lot of the productivity from an offensive standpoint.

Dick Van Dyke is 95 years old. How can you expect him to be a good kicker?

Is it just me, or does it seem like we're hearing about more injuries in our opponents this year than usual? Especially since I haven't yet heard of any issues with the gophers?

Is it just me, or does it seem like we're hearing about more injuries in our opponents this year than usual? Especially since I haven't yet heard of any issues with the gophers?
Well now you put that seed in my head and I think it is true ... stupid brain!

Sure feels like it...also posters aren't jumping all over swingman for these threads. Feels like progress.

If he takes a spoonful of sugar it will help the medicine go down.
XS5LK.gif

It is six or seven months before the 2021 FB season begins and it is again too early to predict what sort of team WI or any other team will field.

I am old enough to get that reference and I also know Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore slept in separate beds.

I'm generally fine with these threads ..... but this one is just absurd.

Everyone is banged up, in spring.

At many schools the spring practice is used as a way to get reps for freshman and new recruits to see what they can do and what they need to work on in the summer.
It is foolish to risk serious injuries to what are predicted to be your starters if they are the least bit hampered with an injury.
Fall is when decisions about the depth chart are made.

Also, on every team there are players who are injured during, and hobble through, a season, then get surgery after the season/bowl game. Those guys are typically experienced players who will be recuperating during spring training in the hopes that they are all mended and ready when fall practice starts. They generally aren't missed during the spring--giving more time for depth players to come up to speed--unless those recuperating or freshly injured are so numerous that it affects the team's ability to practice effectively. The Gophers were in that situation re OL in Fleck's first year. PJ, in contrast to some B1G coaches, seems to be very closed-mouth about player injuries. Maybe we have a list of players who are sitting out or only lightly participating in the spring? Who among GH would know? Here's a bet I would make: that Wisconsin will have a full, largely healthy roster come their opening game in 2021.

Last edited:

Also, on every team there are players who are injured during, and hobble through, a season, then get surgery after the season/bowl game. Those guys are typically experienced players who will be recuperating during spring training in the hopes that they are all mended and ready when fall practice starts. They generally aren't missed during the spring--giving more time for depth players to come up to speed--unless those recuperating or freshly injured are so numerous that it affects the team's ability to practice effectively. The Gophers were in that situation re OL in Fleck's first year. PJ, in contrast to some B1G coaches, seems to be very closed-mouth about player injuries. Maybe we have a list of players who are sitting out or only lightly participating in the spring? Who among GH would know? Here's a bet I would make: that Wisconsin will have a full, largely healthy roster come their opening game in 2021.
I mean, in the past he's been tight lipped about the specific injury and how long they are out, but we usually know if players aren't participating....

Top Bottom