Badger and Hawkeye Fans in our Stadium

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk on here about scalping but nothing about what I think is the #1 source of Badger and Hawkeye fans in our stadium- business clients. Both Wisconsin and Iowa are pretty low-rent states with not much to offer college grads. Thus, Badger and Hawkeye grads overhwhelmingly wind up working in Minneapolis, Chicago, and to a lesser extent other midest cities. With so many Wisc and Iowa grads high up in business in these two cities, tickets are often exchanged as part of business-client entertaining. I personally know of 6 tickets that have already gone to Badger fans for the game next week because of this. I would bet a moderate amount of money that Northwestern and even Illinois games exhibit similar issues when Wisc or Iowa comes to town.

Do you consider this a major problem, or evidence of our dominance as a major city, positioned next to two garbage states with nothing to offer anyone?

EDIT: To make this even clearer, try to imagine a world in which UMN grads fled the state after graduation to work in Iowa and Wisconsin. If our grads were clogging Iowa City and Madison, their stadiums would be full of Gopher fans. Of course, we all know that no commerce goes on in Iowa City (or anywhere else in Iowa for that matter) and there is commerce going on in Madison or Milwaukee. There is no reason why UMN grads would move to these two states except in isolated, ad hoc instances.

True.
But I did my part bought two tickets from a friend who said they can't go to Badger fans and they aren't and sold them for face to Gopher fans. I have two extra tickets that are going to Gopher fans for cheap. Selling them for an extra hundred dollars to the enemy is not going to make you any richer or poorer in the long run so why do it.

We can expect 8,000 there but it is going to be very loud and tough for the opposition on Oct 3rd
and a true home field advantage for the first time in awhile. I didn't see many Badger fans at the barn except in the suites last year, so the problem is not the business clients but students and the regular fans. There were a ton of Gopher fans at Camp Randall last year and many Minnesotans don't move there so it can work both ways.

if there are more than 5,000-6,000 badger fans in that stadium I will be VERY surprised (and thats including the 3,000 alloted to the ath dept), I just don't see it happening, there are not that many tickets out there on the scalping market to expect another 3,000 to find a way in (especially when you consider that there are a lot of Gopher fans buying scalped tickets too)

if there are more than 5,000-6,000 badger fans in that stadium I will be VERY surprised (and thats including the 3,000 alloted to the ath dept), I just don't see it happening, there are not that many tickets out there on the scalping market to expect another 3,000 to find a way in (especially when you consider that there are a lot of Gopher fans buying scalped tickets too)

I bought my tickets on Stubhub and there were not that many available and they were expensive. So at least the Sconnies and Hogeyes that do get tickets are going to pay through the snout for them...just to watch us kick their ass!!!! I love it. Plus with the no alcohol rule, there is a better chance that we wont find any of them screwing in the bathroom stall...although the port a potties are fair game during tailgaiting...so be careful out there.

Can't wait for next Saturday! Go Gophs!

There has been a lot of talk on here about scalping but nothing about what I think is the #1 source of Badger and Hawkeye fans in our stadium- business clients. Both Wisconsin and Iowa are pretty low-rent states with not much to offer college grads. Thus, Badger and Hawkeye grads overhwhelmingly wind up working in Minneapolis, Chicago, and to a lesser extent other midest cities. With so many Wisc and Iowa grads high up in business in these two cities, tickets are often exchanged as part of business-client entertaining. I personally know of 6 tickets that have already gone to Badger fans for the game next week because of this. I would bet a moderate amount of money that Northwestern and even Illinois games exhibit similar issues when Wisc or Iowa comes to town.

Do you consider this a major problem, or evidence of our dominance as a major city, positioned next to two garbage states with nothing to offer anyone?

EDIT: To make this even clearer, try to imagine a world in which UMN grads fled the state after graduation to work in Iowa and Wisconsin. If our grads were clogging Iowa City and Madison, their stadiums would be full of Gopher fans. Of course, we all know that no commerce goes on in Iowa City (or anywhere else in Iowa for that matter) and there is commerce going on in Madison or Milwaukee. There is no reason why UMN grads would move to these two states except in isolated, ad hoc instances.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Throw in the NDSU people if we ever play them again. I would say its annoying, but not sure there is anything anyone can do about it. Let's face it, its exciting for most of these people to come to a big city, so they'll always jump at a chance to take a weekend trip.

These are good points. I guess my point was that TO THE EXTENT there are Badger and Hawkeye fans in our stadium outside of the visiting fans sections, this is a big contributing factor.

These are good points. I guess my point was that TO THE EXTENT there are Badger and Hawkeye fans in our stadium outside of the visiting fans sections, this is a big contributing factor.

Yea, sorry took it in a bit different direction. To answer your question, its just a product of Mpls, unfortunately, being far superior to anything the other two crap states have to offer. On the positive note, our Ath Dept did a very smart thing in building TCF to what the "for sure" demand was at the time, thus keeping Hogeyes and Beckys out of the stadium and increasing demand for the local fans if we do indeed throw on a third level.

I think you nailed it. Socially and economically, Minnesota fills the void in ND, SD, IA, and WI. We are the hub, they're on the rim. I apologise to those in these states, but it is absolutely true. The Twin Cities is an economic hub, only overlapped by Chicago, but not by much.

As for tickets, the 20,000 followers of the Pig Red Machine that I have heard in some quarters is just insane banter--on all levels. So is even 8,000 total. It's a big math problem for Buttheads fans. 3,000 for sure Budgies in visitor sections+10,000 students (99% can't be used by Booger fans)=13,000. That leaves 37,000 seats. 5,000 more/37,000 = 13.5%. Are you telling me 1 of every 7 season ticket holders will sell? NO WAY POSSIBLE.

17,000 more Barstards than allotted would mean 1 of every 2 season ticket holders would sell. For the Big Ten home opener? No way.

I haven't seen more than a couple of hundred tickets for sale on any site, and many are redundant from site to site. Even 2,000 more Bufftucker fans are a lot.

There IS something we can do about it....

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Throw in the NDSU people if we ever play them again. I would say its annoying, but not sure there is anything anyone can do about it. Let's face it, its exciting for most of these people to come to a big city, so they'll always jump at a chance to take a weekend trip.

And I intend to do it in my section... That is simply this, make their lives every bit as miserable in our house as they do to opposing fans in their house. In particular I am speaking to Wisconsin fans. For years they've been treated as welcome guests in the dome while being world class A-Holes to opposing fans in Camp Randall. Do a little checking with other visiting fans, while most will say their rival game fans are worst, lots will rate the Camp either second or still first. Just ask tOSU fans who attended the night game in Madtown a few years back.... So I will simply spend my day cheering my Gophs and riding every red clad POS the same way they do guests at Camp Randall.

Why does such a "dominant, major city" have such an itsy, bitsy stadium?

It's a blessing and a curse really, there's so much going on in the dominant, major city of Minneapolis, it has it's affects on Gopher football attendance unfortunately. Fortunately for the Badgers, that's not a problem in Madison, right? ;)

50,000 will not be the capacity in the future, I'm sure of that.

It's a blessing and a curse really, there's so much going on in the dominant, major city of Minneapolis, it has it's affects on Gopher football attendance unfortunately. Fortunately for the Badgers, that's not a problem in Madison, right? ;)

The Badgers don't rely on Madison residents to fill up their stadium. There's just as much to do in Milwaukee or Chicago as in Minneapolis, yet thousands of our fans drive 1.5 and 3 hours, respectively to support their team every home game (and many away games). That what fans do.

So tell me, what's going on in Minneapolis on Fall Saturdays that's keeping those die-hard Gopher fans from attending the games?

50,000 will not be the capacity in the future, I'm sure of that.

They're going make it even smaller?

I'm sure they come in droves from Chicago. And yes, they're gonna tear seats out and make it 40,000 in the future lol

Let's go hypothetical here. Say I'm a Badger or Hawkeye fan living in Minneapolis with a decent job. When TCF Stadium was given the green light I would have bought a couple of season tickets just for the college football experience and to see my team play every other year close to home. If I had no interest in the game I would just look to scalp those tickets that I'm not going to use.

I have a hard time believing we aren't going to see a fair number of Badger fans next weekend and I can think of hundreds of ways they're going to be getting tickets. We just have to ride them nonstop and not like a couple of married Packers fans in a bathroom stall, really get on those Badgers and make them call you daddy... wait, what now?

The Badgers don't rely on Madison residents to fill up their stadium. There's just as much to do in Milwaukee or Chicago as in Minneapolis, yet thousands of our fans drive 1.5 and 3 hours, respectively to support their team every home game (and many away games). That what fans do.

So tell me, what's going on in Minneapolis on Fall Saturdays that's keeping those die-hard Gopher fans from attending the games?

They're going make it even smaller?

Well, some die-hard gopher fans might have missed the first 2 home games, but it is only because they don't have tickets and the games were sold out. But there were/are Twins games the same day as the first 3 Gopher home games.

Driving 1.5 hours for the game huh? Congrats on having such great fans. :rolleyes:

I just can't wait to see Badger fan's faces when they can't get in with the $100 student tickets they bought.

Corporate clients

You are absolutely correct. Here is exactly how it happens. Company A from Minnesota purchases season tickets to the Gophers and Vikings and gives them out to employees as incentives. For most games, only Vikings or Gopher fans are interested in going. When the Badgers or Packers come to town, the company gives them to the Wisconsin fans because "That's the only game they care about," and if they don't get those they don't get the extra incentives and it's not fair. I've been in multiple companies, and that's exactly what happens. There is no way to get them away from the Packers fans for Vikings games, or Badger fans for Wisconsin games. That puts big numbers of their fans in our most prime seats. It's corporate America, and unfortunately there's no way to stop it. Don't believe it? Just look in the stands when the Packers come to the Dome, and see where many are parked. Prime seats.

Chicago? Yes.

Milwaukee? Ha, ha, ha...too funny. Oh wait, I forgot about the Admirals, darn it...

Not living in WI, I had to look up what the Admirals were.

OK, so is it your contention that the historically weak support for Gopher football is because everyone is too focused on Wild preseason hockey? I guess that's better than the idiot who argued on Buckyville that it was because of all the art museums in the Twin Cities. :rolleyes:

Which one of our three stadiums are you talking about? Or are you talking about one of our two arenas? If you are claiming my argument was faulty because only a city that has a gigantic college football stadiums can be considered a "dominant, major city", you must be the product of Wisconsin schools. Unless you consider Knoxville, TN a dominant, major American city, you dumb hick.

The only thing that counts is what's on the scoreboard at 00:00 in the 4th Quarter. Why are people even engaging this troll in conversation as if he'd concede any valid point?

countdownclub.jpg

TCF Stadium

is bigger physically than you may think, and one of the big reasons is because the seats, many individual and even the bench seats, are prabable twice as roomy as those at Camp Randall. they wanted everyone to have plenty of leg room and butt room :) and it is THE most comfortable seating I've ever been to in any college football stadium. This is one reason it looks WAY bigger than 51,000 seats. and, oh by the way, it's WAY noisier than the dome too.

Um, sounds like you are having trouble filling you 80k stadium these days. Sounds like the UW student section doesn't show up until 2nd quarter and leaves early. ESPN even had some nice shots of the empty sections.....:eek: Full meltdown on the buckyville board today.

You will notice a much different feel at TCF this weekend.

Notice the vadger fans never ever bring up the fact that the Kohl Center is way bigger than Mariucci. It's because they know Mariucci, while smaller, is a thousand times better than that Multi-Purpose Room.

Give them just one week at our new football stadium, and they will shut up about how much bigger their stadium is.

Top Bottom