Bad reporting

TheWrights03

Reaction score
I sent the following email to Tom Dienhart from Rivals.com. He gave a one line analysis of the Gopher/Cal game. His analysis was "Minnesota got whipped by Cal". Here is my rebuttal email:

Mr. Dienhart,

I implore you to pay a little closer attention to some of the college football games that you write about. Your "one line analysis" of the Gopher/Cal game was embarrassing. "Minnesota got whipped by Cal"? Did you watch the game? You do realize that the game was tied until there was 7:19 remaining, right? The last score didn't come until there was 3 minutes left. Meaning it was a seven point game before that. The Gophers also came back from a 14 point deficit to tie the game at 21. I am failing to understand how that is considered getting "whipped". Anyone can take a look at a box score and assume they knew what happened in the game, which is exactly what I assume you did. Next time, please try watching the game. Thank you for your time.

Here is a link to the article:
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=990825

While it was a disppointing loss and I am not one for "moral victories", I don't believe we got "whipped" by any means. I still have hope for a nice season this year. Go Gophers!

Who knows what would've happened had Hayo not fumbled that ball inside their 25 but overall I think we showed we belong on the Big Stage.......

I agree. That was a game we could have won. To say we were "whipped" is just plain dumb and wrong.

He should ask Tedford if he felt like Cal "whipped" the Gophers........

We're the first team they played there starters into the 4th Quarter.......

I guarantee at the end of the season, Cal's lowest offensive output in any one quarter will be the 3rd quarter of last week's game.

I will be sure to post any response I get from Dienhart. I would imagine I will get nothing back.

Wow. Tom Dienhart is clearly a dumb-ass.

A non-whistled false start gave Cal the game. That's what happened. Otherwise Minnesota wins that game.

When Cal scored the TD to go up 14 I was praying for another score by the Gophers just so morons like this didn't assume we got "whipped". Basically because the "national media" obviously doesn't really watch the games, they just scan the box score and see that Best had 5 TD's.

Tom Dienhart is an idiot that hates the Gophers. He also is on record with rankings of #8 for our WR's (yes he ranked our WR unit 8th in the Big Ten), our DL #11 in the conference, our LB's #10 in the conference and our secondary #11 in the conference.

Tom Dienhart is an idiot that hates the Gophers. He also is on record with rankings of #8 for our WR's (yes he ranked our WR unit 8th in the Big Ten), our DL #11 in the conference, our LB's #10 in the conference and our secondary #11 in the conference.

I would think ranking our LB #10 is the biggest crime.

Everyone needs to just relax. It's OK, the Gophers did fine against Cal. Does it really matter what anyone in the national media says? Why even waste your time getting all worked up about this kind of thing. Minnesota obviously gave the Bears a scare, and that's all that matters!!! Right?

I would think ranking our LB #10 is the biggest crime.

He did it preseason so I would say WR was the biggest crime at the time. Every other conference on-looker seemed to view our WR's as #2 (ESPN included) so ranking them at #8 which was behind PSU who's top returning receiver had as many catches as Tow-Arnett (our 2008 back up TE) was pretty out of line.

At the time I thought the defense was really being slighted but to people that aren't Minnesota fans it was less obvious because the last time Minnesota had a good defense was 1999. I thought at the time and I still think this defense should end up being ranked 4-6 in the Big Ten with only PSU, OSU, and Iowa being clearly better to me.

Everyone needs to just relax. It's OK, the Gophers did fine against Cal. Does it really matter what anyone in the national media says? Why even waste your time getting all worked up about this kind of thing. Minnesota obviously gave the Bears a scare, and that's all that matters!!! Right?

I don't think anyone is getting worked up. It's a matter of respect. It's not like we're storming Dienhart's house with pitchforks and torches here.

Mr. Dienhart,

I implore you to pay a little closer attention to some of the college football games that you write about. Your "one line analysis" of the Gopher/Cal game was embarrassing. "Minnesota got whipped by Cal"? Did you watch the game? You do realize that the game was tied until there was 7:19 remaining, right? The last score didn't come until there was 3 minutes left. Meaning it was a seven point game before that. The Gophers also came back from a 14 point deficit to tie the game at 21. I am failing to understand how that is considered getting "whipped". Anyone can take a look at a box score and assume they knew what happened in the game, which is exactly what I assume you did. Next time, please try watching the game. Thank you for your time.

Does he really need to hear this?

Wow. Tom Dienhart is clearly a dumb-ass.

A non-whistled false start gave Cal the game. That's what happened. Otherwise Minnesota wins that game.

I'm not quite sure why everyone is upset about that false start. Yes, we all got excited when we thought we had sacked the QB to force another punt, but the truth is it was the right call. And I don't know if the whistle's volume was a problem, but the officials immediately threw the flag and tried to stop the play. It's our own fault we couldn't hold them on the following 3rd and 16.

Reusse said Cal stopped on the play cuz they heard the whistle. I don't think so.

As for getting worked up about the national media....it's important because perception of our program is vital in recruiting.

We are close and getting closer by the week.

Reusse said Cal stopped on the play cuz they heard the whistle. I don't think so.

As for getting worked up about the national media....it's important because perception of our program is vital in recruiting.

We are close and getting closer by the week.

Some of the Cal players stopped, including the QB. It certainly looked like we had an initial push but we'll never know for certain if we would have stopped them that play. Either way, it doesn't excuse giving up the 3rd and 16 or the following bomb that put them on the goalline.

yeah im saw that and was like WTF!!!...im glad you said something

You realize, don't you, that Best didn't play most of the 3rd quarter?

How could he? They fumbled the punt for their first possession and were 3 and out on their other possessions. He ended the 3rd quarter with -2 yards.

He carried the ball 13 times for 17 yards in the Second Half. He's a GREAT back but the Gopher Defense made some nice adjustments in the Half. Now if they can just start holding on to interceptions..!

I don't care who's in the game, that's a nice defensive quarter. Without looking it up, I'd assume that the mighty Wofford Terriers managed more than 25 yards in each of their quarters vs. Bucky.

Top Bottom