Back up QB?

Foreman was wearing a white "injury" jersey on the sideline yesterday.

Just because he's the backup doesn't mean they would put him in for just a few snaps. Just depends on the situation. Is it a situation where Shortell's helmet came off or he is just banged up and has to sit out a few plays? Then I doubt they bring in Nelson. Run a play or two with Maye back there. But if Shortell were to get hurt and have to be out for an extended period of time, I think he comes in.

Just because he's the backup doesn't mean they would put him in for just a few snaps. Just depends on the situation. Is it a situation where Shortell's helmet came off or he is just banged up and has to sit out a few plays? Then I doubt they bring in Nelson. Run a play or two with Maye back there. But if Shortell were to get hurt and have to be out for an extended period of time, I think he comes in.

I agree that if it is a situation of just a helmet coming off, you play Maye at QB. If an injury you have to put Nelson in the game. Just hope Gray heals fast and we don't have to make the decision.

The coaches will play anyone anytime that it could change the outcome of even just 1 game. I expect Nelson to play at some point this year just because of the likelihood of injuries even though he won't be B1G ready. Our QB will be running. Our QB will be blocking. Our QBs will get dinged. We have a tough B1G schedule ahead.

BTW, I'd rather he doesn't need to play and can redshirt, but I doubt that will be the case.

According to what I read, Foreman was not in fall camp. Nuff said.
I could be wrong but I believe that there is a player limit for fall practice but once school starts that limit no longer applies, which means Foreman should be practicing by now.

He was on the sideline in white yesterday, I don't know if he is redshirting or what.

I've said this before and I'll mention it again; I think sometimes as fans we freak out about burning the redshirts a little too much, mostly at the QB position. Yes, I would rather Nelson didn't have to play this year and have four years left. But to say that would be the end of the world if he burned his redshirt is to basically say it's unlikely they aren't able to recruit a player equal to Nelson or greater in the next couple of years. I certainly hope that's not the case.

Continued success in the next couple of years will bring a recruit or two at QB that we as fans can't WAIT to get onto the field.

I guess in short, I'm not really worried about the QB situation for the 2016 season this fall.

The coaches will play anyone anytime that it could change the outcome of even just 1 game. I expect Nelson to play at some point this year just because of the likelihood of injuries even though he won't be B1G ready. Our QB will be running. Our QB will be blocking. Our QBs will get dinged. We have a tough B1G schedule ahead.

BTW, I'd rather he doesn't need to play and can redshirt, but I doubt that will be the case.

Agree. One play could kill a drive and one drive could win or lose a game. I don't think they would ever put a guy out there who didn't practice just to save someone's redshirt.

I could see this being a consideration if deciding whether to relieve the starter in garbage time. But I think they'd leave the starter in rather than put in the #3. Even here I don't think it would enter into their thinking unless they knew Gray would be back soon - not in a month.

I'm pretty sure that Foreman is practicing now, he just didn't make the cut on the players invited to camp (once school starts, it's unlimited).

I just haven't heard any injury situation with him, so I'm pretty sure that it's a 9 Hour Rule issue that's been talked about on here and he should be allowed to play after the Syracuse game.

As far as burning a RS, if we need a QB to play, our staff will burn Nelson's RS without thinking twice. I'm sure they hope it doesn't come down to it, but at a position like QB (where you can't shuffle people around), they will play Nelson.

Maybe, but I thought I saw somewhere the white jersies were being used for red shirt players.

White jerseys are being used for players who will not play. Shabbaz was wearing one on the sideline yesterday. Its basically players who don't dress for the game because they are hurt or are so far down on the depth chart that they would never play. Pirsig and Hayes were dressed in Gold yesterday for the game for example, but they won't play unless there are several injuries.

Why not Moses Alipate?

That would definately turn some heads and shake up gopherhole. The round mound of touchdown hasn't been quoted in the football realm since that huge Kentucky QB several years ago.

Top Bottom