B1G QB rankings entering Week 1 (9. Athan Kaliakmanis, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Glusco:

9. Athan Kaliakmanis, Minnesota​

2022: 946 yards, 54.1%, 3 TDs, 4 INTs, 127.4 rating

Week 1: vs. Nebraska, 8 p.m. Thursday, FOX

Assessing the strength of Nebraska’s defense is no easy task in Year 1 under Matt Rhule. The Gophers are favored by a touchdown, and Kaliakmanis, who made 5 starts last year, might have to throw more now that Mo Ibrahim is no longer in the backfield. PJ Fleck has suggested as much, so the 6-4, 215-pound former 4-star recruit has a great shot to start strong in the B1G opener. Outlook: Positive

Go Gophers!!

Gophs will definitely throw more, by choice, not because Mo is gone.

The amount of game-proven pass catchers is pretty crazy.

Imagine MN lining up 5-wide! I'd pass out if they ever did.
But who do you cover?: CrAB, Jackson, Spencer, Crooms, Lemeke

On top of all those WRs, you have BSF and I think they will be throwing to RBs like Sean Tyler, who has breakaway speed.

He will need to improve upon the 54% completions for this year to be a success. I'm sure he will, but we got spoiled with Morgan's accuracy.

He will need to improve upon the 54% completions for this year to be a success. I'm sure he will, but we got spoiled with Morgan's accuracy.
The coaches have to let him throw and stay in rhythm. The past few years it has been start with the run, only pass when you need to, and shut it down if there's an INT. The Gophers are not going to win many games doing that with the schedule they have, unless the defense is otherworldly and our special teams becomes a juggernaut.

That’s nonsense. Morgan hadn’t played well since’19. The kid was thrown into an impossible situation at Penn State that didn’t help folks’ perception of him but I was at the Wisconsin game last year and it was electric. His skill set is so far and above Morgan‘s that it’s a silly conversation. The only thing he lacks now is game experience, which he should’ve gotten much more of last year as he was our rightful starter from game one had PJ done the right thing and nudged 2 out the door.

That’s nonsense. Morgan hadn’t played well since’19. The kid was thrown into an impossible situation at Penn State that didn’t help folks’ perception of him but I was at the Wisconsin game last year and it was electric. His skill set is so far and above Morgan‘s that it’s a silly conversation. The only thing he lacks now is game experience, which he should’ve gotten much more of last year as he was our rightful starter from game one had PJ done the right thing and nudged 2 out the door.
Totally agree with you on Morgan being average at best since 2020 and on.

He was still a 60% passer without 2019. I do think AK will be a 60%+ passer though.

Per Glusco:

9. Athan Kaliakmanis, Minnesota​

2022: 946 yards, 54.1%, 3 TDs, 4 INTs, 127.4 rating

Week 1: vs. Nebraska, 8 p.m. Thursday, FOX

Assessing the strength of Nebraska’s defense is no easy task in Year 1 under Matt Rhule. The Gophers are favored by a touchdown, and Kaliakmanis, who made 5 starts last year, might have to throw more now that Mo Ibrahim is no longer in the backfield. PJ Fleck has suggested as much, so the 6-4, 215-pound former 4-star recruit has a great shot to start strong in the B1G opener. Outlook: Positive

Go Gophers!!

That article has the Badger QB at #3. Betting sites have Wisconsin with the 4th best odds to win the Big Ten -- and best to win the West. I would have thought Badgers would finish after Iowa and Minnesota. The Badgers dynamic is interesting.

#9 for Kaliakmanis is unfair yet needs to prove it. I bet he will.

With Kaliakmanis, I keep hoping for more.

So much talent, so much promise.

C'mon, Athan. If we could see the #8 we saw, with our own eyes, against Wisconsin last season, we'd beat Iowa by two scores. Easily.

With Kaliakmanis, I keep hoping for more.

So much talent, so much promise.

C'mon, Athan. If we could see the #8 we saw, with our own eyes, against Wisconsin last season, we'd beat Iowa by two scores. Easily.
I agree with you. Arm is there.

I don't know about football like you guys do, but the Penn St. and Ohio St. Qbs don't look better to me than AK so far this game.

Can you believe we spent 2 scholarships on the kid? 8 yards in the first half today. Pretty amazing.

A K is 13th.

Thank God Iowas backup quarterback is 14th.

With the number of bounce passes he throws, he's earned a new nickname in my household: Skippy.

Top Bottom